PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning question...

Donbeeler49
02-01-10, 17:22
I clean my AR's with Break Free CLP and sometimes M-Pro-7 cleaner when needed. Then of course wipe/oil them down. A guy I work with cleans his initially with brake cleaner from Auto Zone or other aout parts store. I thought I read or heard that Brake cleaner corrodes/pits certain parts like the firing pin and other parts. Am I wrong or is break cleaner ok?

Iraqgunz
02-01-10, 18:03
I soak my BCG in MPro-7 when needed. I use Hoppe's No.9 and Barretts Bore gel. I generally just wipe the inside of the upper because I use plenty of lube.

I clean my AR's with Break Free CLP and sometimes M-Pro-7 cleaner when needed. Then of course wipe/oil them down. A guy I work with cleans his initially with brake cleaner from Auto Zone or other aout parts store. I thought I read or heard that Brake cleaner corrodes/pits certain parts like the firing pin and other parts. Am I wrong or is break cleaner ok?

jstevens
02-01-10, 18:37
brakeclean won't harm a gun, I've used it for years. It will absolutely leave parts grease free, so you need to oil things up when done. If you don't, you could surely have a rust/pitting problem. The gun scrubbers sold by others are not different from brakeclean only more expensive.

Captains1911
02-01-10, 19:01
I have heard some talk about chlorinated vs. non-chlorinated brake cleaner, which is better for cleaning guns?

bkb0000
02-01-10, 19:19
I have heard some talk about chlorinated vs. non-chlorinated brake cleaner, which is better for cleaning guns?

non-chlorinated.

brake cleaner is fine to use on guns, but why people use it for anything other than de-greasing for painting, i'll never know. it strips out all the oil, making deposits harder to scrub out and making it harder to properly re-loob. you want to get the gun clean, not dry.