PDA

View Full Version : An Introduction and a few questions: AR content

Beretta
02-01-10, 20:54
INTRODUCTION

Hello all.

I'm a southerner who is new to this forum. I joined because I need input on my Ar-15 build and wanted to be on a forum full of good information. I couldn't post yesterday until I was approved so I poked around the forum a bit. I'm still learning where to post what appropriately so mods please move this to the correct place if I posted in the wrong section. :)

AR BUILD

I am working on an Ar-15. I have a Roggio Arsenal lower and am debating on the upper. I thought about gas piston for the clean factor but I have shot standard configuration before and I regularly clean my guns after shooting anyway.

I am considering doing some three gun with some friends but the gun as I see it is a Medium/long performance, second home defense weapon.

What I was thinking about doing:
I plan on shooting 55gr bullets so I'm going to go with a 1/8 or 1/9 upper 14.5"-16" mid length gas system, threaded flash suppressor, flat top.
*Timney Trigger (3lb or 4lb) with lower kit ex. http://global-tactical.com/poftimney...trigger-1.aspx
Sights:Troy DOA folding rear site/M4 front folding (maybe tritium)
Sling:URBAN ERT http://store.urbanertslings.com/2point-modular.html

Future additions: Either the Nightforce 1-4x24NXS or a Trijicon.

UPPERS IN QUESTION

Rock River Arms Elite CAR A4/Mid Quad Rail
LAR OPS 4 SPEC Carbine w/quad rail
Olympic Arms LTF (heard some people don't like this company but checked this rifle out at the SHOT Show and it seemed alright, but that's why I am posting here)
LWRC nice upper but not wanting to fork over a grand for the upper :(
LaRue Tactical
Noveske
BCM

CONCLUSION/FINAL QUESTIONS

Thanks so much for reading...hope I didn't type to much. I know you all have more experience with AR's than myself. Please feel free to post other uppers I should consider.

What upper do you have?
Chrome lined or not?
Why did you choose your upper over another?

Thanks everyone :)

DragonDoc
02-01-10, 21:11
Which upper you choose will depend on the purpose of your rifle build. I would take a look at Bravo Company Manu. (one of the site sponsors) or GandR Tactical. They have quality uppers that can stand up to hard use. I will limit my advice because I know that there are plenty of guys here at the site that are more qualified to give you good guidance.

How do you like your Roggio Lower? I bought one last year for a build that I have yet to complete. I have heard that some of their lowers are out of spec. but mine was Good To Go.

Beretta
02-01-10, 21:18
Which upper you choose will depend on the purpose of your rifle build. I would take a look at Bravo Company Manu. (one of the site sponsors) or GandR Tactical. They have quality uppers that can stand up to hard use. I will limit my advice because I know that there are plenty of guys here at the site that are more qualified to give you good guidance.

How do you like your Roggio Lower? I bought one last year for a build that I have yet to complete. I have heard that some of their lowers are out of spec. but mine was Good To Go.

Thanks for your response. I would like to do three gun but also want a good home defense set up and maybe even something I could shoot a hog with. :)

I like my lower...I checked it over before I got it...I think it will do the job...it looked good. Why haven't you finished your build yet?

Iraqgunz
02-01-10, 21:44
I think that you should go with a 1/7 twist rather than 1/9. You can still shoot 55gr. but also heavier ammo such as the TAP 75gr. or Black Hills 77gr.

I would also strongly consider a BCM upper or a Noveske. I would steer clear of the Oly Arms and the RRA. BCM will definitely give you good bang for the buck and I am extremely happy with their stuff and prices.

Beretta
02-01-10, 21:58
I think that you should go with a 1/7 twist rather than 1/9. You can still shoot 55gr. but also heavier ammo such as the TAP 75gr. or Black Hills 77gr.

I would also strongly consider a BCM upper or a Noveske. I would steer clear of the Oly Arms and the RRA. BCM will definitely give you good bang for the buck and I am extremely happy with their stuff and prices.

I really appreciate your input....sounds like your into a bit of everything. I'll definitely check them out. Is Noveske considered top of the line? I'm not sure which upper I would go with maybe this one http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u-lcb-556&cat=48&page=1&search=&since=&status=
that BCM is nice too http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/AR15_BCM_Upper_Receiver_Groups_s/21.htm

Iraqgunz
02-01-10, 22:12
Noveske is probably one of the top builders in the market. The upper you linked to is actually one of their lower tier (though not necessarily inferior) builds. I have this upper and it is a solid functional upper. Very accurate as well. Of course it is a few hundred dollars more. This is one of the few uppers that I have that I purchased complete. I generally tend to build my own uppers piece meal.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u-16-556&cat=56&page=1&search=&since=&status=

I really appreciate your input....sounds like your into a bit of everything. I'll definitely check them out. Is Noveske considered top of the line? I'm not sure which upper I would go with maybe this one http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u-lcb-556&cat=48&page=1&search=&since=&status=
that BCM is nice too http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/AR15_BCM_Upper_Receiver_Groups_s/21.htm

Beretta
02-01-10, 22:18
Noveske is probably one of the top builders in the market. The upper you linked to is actually one of their lower tier (though not necessarily inferior) builds. I have this upper and it is a solid functional upper. Very accurate as well. Of course it is a few hundred dollars more. This is one of the few uppers that I have that I purchased complete. I generally tend to build my own uppers piece meal.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u-16-556&cat=56&page=1&search=&since=&status=

That barrel appears to be matte....it's not shiny is it? Kinda wary of anything except blued. Really appreciate your post.

You sound like a gun smith/armorer....am I right?

Can you tell me a bit about your lowers? Trying to figure out how to build my lower.

This economy has me on a budget :(

DragonDoc
02-02-10, 00:44
Thanks for your response. I would like to do three gun but also want a good home defense set up and maybe even something I could shoot a hog with. :)

I like my lower...I checked it over before I got it...I think it will do the job...it looked good. Why haven't you finished your build yet?

Funds mainly. I have to make sure that the wife and kids get what they need/want before I get to indulge. I never seem to have enough money these days. I had hoped to have a build completed by now. I guess I will have to bare down and knock it out this year.

Iraqgunz
02-02-10, 00:58
The Recon upper uses a stainless steel barrel. It is not reflective at all, so no worries. As for my lowers I have used LMT, Bravo Company, Noveske, Armalite and Mega Machine. My lower parts kits are all from LMT, GandR or Stag. All of my lower receiver extensions are milspec or proprietary (Magpul UBR).

Yes, I am an armorer and do most of my work with DoD or private companies worjing in support of operations.

That barrel appears to be matte....it's not shiny is it? Kinda wary of anything except blued. Really appreciate your post.

You sound like a gun smith/armorer....am I right?

Can you tell me a bit about your lowers? Trying to figure out how to build my lower.

This economy has me on a budget :(

Beretta
02-02-10, 07:29
The Recon upper uses a stainless steel barrel. It is not reflective at all, so no worries. As for my lowers I have used LMT, Bravo Company, Noveske, Armalite and Mega Machine. My lower parts kits are all from LMT, GandR or Stag. All of my lower receiver extensions are milspec or proprietary (Magpul UBR).

Yes, I am an armorer and do most of my work with DoD or private companies worjing in support of operations.

GandR uses various components from other lpk like colt and lmt don't they?

I need a smooth crisp relative short reset trigger....what would you recommend?

Thanks for all your input :)

JSantoro
02-02-10, 09:57

I'm still using the one that I got. Beyond having had to get the RE threads worked on (too tight to get the RE in correctly), and being more snug than I prefer at the rear takedown pin (self-correcting issue; 3000+ rounds later, it's better), I've had no problems with it. Took the LPK just fine.

I was on a trip to NC, and dropped it off for them to deal with the RE threads; the thing was in the mail and waiting for me at my FFl before I got back home, and perfect. Their CS was spot-on, so I have no doubts in their support of their product. I attribute the issue, somewhat, to the fact that I think they were in their first year (+/-) of operation and hadn't gotten their sea legs, yet.

Their site (this time last year, stripped lowers are all they were advertising) shows stripped lowers @ $129. I might be willing to give them another shot, if the price was lower, as I can get a CD or S&W lower locally for $135, no shipping, no waiting.

Beretta
02-02-10, 19:14
How come these barrels weigh significantly different? Is the Recon a heavy barrel?

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=u-lcb-556&cat=48&page=1&search=&since=&status=

I'm going to do some searching on this forum for opinions of LPK. I need something tough.....but with a good crisp trigger (Timney/JP/etc). It won't matter how well the barrel is threaded if I pull the gun off target.

Thanks for all the feedback.