PDA

View Full Version : Slimmest AR forearm side-to-side?

Double-edged
02-01-10, 21:14
What railed forearm is slimmest in side-to-side measurement?

ZeroDistortionNow
02-01-10, 21:39
I believe that the Daniel Defense Omega and the Lite rails are most likely to be the slimest you'll find. Most other rails like YHM, MI and Troy will have more of a round profile. I am unsure of the KAC and Samson systems

Biggy
02-01-10, 21:48
If you are looking for a quad rail, probably the Daniel Defense Omega or Omega X . Spikes Tactical is also comming out with a slim version of their new quad rail , the Spike's rails will also have the bottom rail tucked up closer to the rail body than other rails. It also has the monolithic look of the Omega and Omega X .

militarymoron
02-01-10, 21:51
DD lite, LMT MRP and LaRue are approx 2" across. KAC is a tad under 2.2".

texag
02-01-10, 22:10
According to Rob's chart (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html) the troy TRX extreme is the slimmest.

252actual
02-02-10, 00:22
According to Rob's chart (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pwswheghNQsFnUZMkZNF2DQ&output=html) the troy TRX extreme is the slimmest.

yeah but thats without the rail segments attached im sure. so once you attach those its wider than most. i think the omega still wins at least in the full quad rail category. personally i like the DD m4 rail but not the lack of a continuous top rail.

if there was a rail that had the raised lower section like the DD RIS II or the Larue rail and a continuous top rail with the width of the omega rail i would put it on all my rifles...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4003/4324681164_1f73b57017_o.gif

SPDGG
02-02-10, 00:38
if there was a rail that had the raised lower section like the DD RIS II or the Larue rail and a continuous top rail with the width of the omega rail i would put it on all my rifles... Agree 100%+ on this. That would make for one SWEET handguard/rail package.

Would be great if DD could slim up the width of the RIS II to match the OMEGA line, & offer a Drop In Free Float Version along with the Lite Variant = Being Greedy.

Any takers :D . . . .

Double-edged
02-03-10, 20:01
OK...another question.

I have a PRI carbon fiber forearm right now. If I want to remove it and install an Omega rail, am I able to do that without having to buy any parts other than the Omega rail? I bought the upper with the PRI forearm installed so I have no idea what goes into the installation of it (or the Omega rail, for that matter).

Any information would be appreciated.

RAM Engineer
02-03-10, 21:56
If they made the Omega X 12.0 FSP rail bolt up the the upper receiver like the RIS II, that would be perfection. I don't trust set screws for nothin'!

redyak3
02-03-10, 23:27
I like the feel of the DDM49.0, targeting the Lite10 for my current project. For me the non-continuous top of the DDM4 rails is a non issue, just want to diversify a little.

c3guns
02-05-10, 20:29
If you don't need all the continuous rail space to hang junk, and are going for ultimate weight/size reduction, the TROY TRX EXtreme is about as bare-bones as it gets.

redyak3
02-06-10, 11:09
If you don't need all the continuous rail space to hang junk, and are going for ultimate weight/size reduction, the TROY TRX EXtreme is about as bare-bones as it gets.

Thought a lot about the TRX, I like the model that Troy builds for Viking better, slots rather than holes. That being said, the ovular profile of the DD rails works better for me than the round tube.

E-man930
02-06-10, 13:44
I would love the width of a Omega with the height of the RIS II in a one piece, continuous rail assy. like the LITE series in 9", 10", 11", 12", and 13" lengths. Daniel Defense, get the green cad guy to merge some cad files and crank out a prototype. I bet you will find it to be a huge success...

Biggy
02-06-10, 13:57
I would love the width of a Omega with the height of the RIS II in a one piece, continuous rail assy. like the LITE series in 9", 10", 11", 12", and 13" lengths. Daniel Defense, get the green cad guy to merge some cad files and crank out a prototype. I bet you will find it to be a huge success...

Spike's Tactical will be comming out with a rail like you have described above in probably around three months or so. It will be the slim version of their new quad rail.

The_Hammer_Man
02-09-10, 01:01
I believe that the Daniel Defense Omega and the Lite rails are most likely to be the slimest you'll find. Most other rails like YHM, MI and Troy will have more of a round profile. I am unsure of the KAC and Samson systems

A uncommonly thin, side to side, FF 4rail is the ERGO-Z. Same internal/external dimensions ,almost, as the DD but for about 2/3's the cost.

For customers of mine who don't want to spend a ton on a DD they often opt for the ERGO. It's light, solid and doesn't twist.

kmrtnsn
02-09-10, 01:08
I was just looking at the Ergo Z rail. Unfortunately, it is only available in carbine and pistol lengths. I would love to see it in a long mid or rifle length.

The_Hammer_Man
02-10-10, 08:01
I was just looking at the Ergo Z rail. Unfortunately, it is only available in carbine and pistol lengths. I would love to see it in a long mid or rifle length.

You and me both brother! Sent them an email about that very subject and have been ignored I guess. Noone has returned my email.

Go Figure?

Cincinnatus
02-10-10, 11:17
What about the Noveske proprietary handguards? How do those measure up? I know they feel much thinner than the Troy MRF. Are they as thin as or thinner than a DD Omega?