PDA

View Full Version : 1911 for under $800 ???

JBecker 72
02-01-10, 22:57
Hello all, Im in the market for a good 1911 full size in .45ACP
Ive been looking at the Springfield Mil Spec models specifically in the $700 range.

Anything wrong with that model?
Anything in a similar price range that is better?

As much as Id love to get a fully spec'd out Operator model, I dont have $2500 to spend on any firearm.

Thanks in advance :D

sff70
02-01-10, 22:57
What is the intended use?

xjustintimex
02-01-10, 22:58
we have a tarus 1911 thats I love. we haven't had any problems with it but not sure exactly how reliable they are as we baby it
http://www.taurususa.com/pdf/Taurus_Rebate_Flyer.pdf

JBecker 72
02-01-10, 23:01
What is the intended use?

reliable plinker
I have no intentions of taking it into harms way or carrying it as a PDW, however I would like something that is capable of doing so should the situation arise.

Basically Im looking for a quality sidearm that is good to go.

JBecker 72
02-01-10, 23:03
And I know Its cheesy and not what you should base a firearm purchase on, but I really like the looks of the Springfield Mil Spec 1911.
I also know they are capable of building a quality product.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/RichardOldfield/Springfield1911Milspec.jpg

SWATcop556
02-01-10, 23:22
You get what you pay for when it comes to 1911's. Be it a base gun sent to a smith or a quality production gun you will pay for quality and reliability.

If its only going to be a range gun then the milspec should do fine for your needs.

If it is going to double as a HD/CCW weapon then I would skip the 1911 and get a G19 with a bunch of mags and ammo. If you already have the HD/CCW covered then I have no problem recommending the Springfield.

1911's are very tempermental and do not consist of drop-in parts. Unless someone is well versed in the maintenance and upkeep I do not recommend a 1911 especially as a 1st handgun.

If you just want one for the gun collection, IMHO everyone needs one! :cool:

Pappabear
02-01-10, 23:27
reliable plinker
I have no intentions of taking it into harms way or carrying it as a PDW, however I would like something that is capable of doing so should the situation arise.

Basically Im looking for a quality sidearm that is good to go.
:confused::confused::confused:

Just save up a little longer and get a SA Operator.

sinister
02-01-10, 23:35
$372 from a shop in February '07:

http://i46.tinypic.com/5euwsk.jpg

Colo.TJ
02-01-10, 23:40
gunbroker $760 for SA loaded parkerized.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=156309833#PIC

MarshallDodge
02-01-10, 23:44
It depends on the features that you want.

I would have no issue getting a Springfield Mil Spec or Loaded as a plinker. They are a good base to build on if you want to upgrade anything in the future. Their customer service is excellent in case you have any issues.

sff70
02-02-10, 00:57
SA GI or Loaded

Colt Series 70 or 1991A1

Remember to use QUALITY magazines. I have tried them all and have found that McCormick PowerMags work better for longer, than any other type of 1911 mag.

Bob RI
02-02-10, 06:51
For range plinking/general use go for the Mil Spec Springfield....no need to spend more. You can always send it out later and have it customized should you have the desire to do so. Plenty of Smiths use this model as a base gun for some excellent projects. If you want the next level (night sights, ambi safety etc.) go for the Loaded model.

ThirdWatcher
02-02-10, 07:08
I own a SA GI Model and a TRP. IMHO, they are a lot of gun for the money. :)

BTW, the first (and only) thing I did to by GI Model is buy a set of brown plastic grips like sinister has on his. Having carried the 'real deal' in the Army, my GI Model just didn't look right until I installed the right grips.

TOrrock
02-02-10, 08:24
I think the Springfield WWII GI and Mil-Spec are the best choices for a sub $1K M1911A1 pistol.

JBecker 72
02-02-10, 10:53
Thanks for the info guys, I think Im gonna pick one up real soon.
And like you said, I can always send it out for upgrades if I feel the need to.

bigb4015
02-02-10, 11:16
I just picked up the SA milspec in dec its a great gun I have about 700 rounds through it so far. The only complaint I have with it is being it dosent have a extended gripsafty the hammer bites me between my index finger and thumb. Its somthing to think about if you have big hands. Another buget 1911 i would recommend is the Para GI Expert there a little tougher to find.

Hunter Rose
02-02-10, 12:22
Colt Series 70 repro.

No frills 1911 that should be very reliable stock. Colt comes the closest to the "TDP" of a 1911 if you will, and they are usually very reliable stock out of the box. Most of the complaints on Colt's are purely cosmetic in nature.

Alaskapopo
02-03-10, 00:00
The only box stock guns I trust are Colts. Otherwise get a custom 1911 from Wilson, Les baer etc. I do recommend 1911's for people willing to perform normal mantance that want the best fighting pistol design currently made. (my bias of course) In my opinion there is no easier gun to shoot well under stress.
Pat

ccoker
02-03-10, 10:07
Check out the STI Spartan

goodoleboy
02-03-10, 10:21
I've owned a Springfield Mil-Spec and GI model.

As mentioned before, the Mil-Spec is a great base to build on. My only issue with my mil-spec was the handguards, they are pretty cheesy to be honest. The first thing I did with mine is buy a nice set of Kimber rosewood grips to put on it. That helped the pistol's looks tremendously. Mine was mainly a plinker, so I was more concerned about the looks than the function of the grips.

Also, invest in good mags for the pistol. I like the 8 rd. Wilson Combat mags pretty good.

If I were using it for a personal defense pistol, I would recommend a trigger upgrade, beaver-tail grip safety, better sights, checkering the front strap, better bbl bushings, recoil spring guides, ambidextrous safety, etc.

Most of the upgrades listed above are fairly reasonable and easy to find at your local gunshop.

ccoker
02-03-10, 10:30
I bought a used Springfield loaded stainless that had some work done to it, trigger job, magwell, etc.. and I added Dawson sights to it
great gun and I love it

I also got the Wilson Specops and it's definitely a tighter, more refined gun but they are also a lot more money of course

d90king
02-03-10, 11:07
IMHO it is very difficult to beat a SA GI for a great base gun. If you just want it for shits and giggles for the range, it should fill that role with no problem. If you want to build a proper duty 1911 it will also serve that role well also.

This coming from a Colt guy...;)

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 11:15
Thanks guys.
I think Im gonna start with a SA GI and build it from there.

Ive always wanted a 1911, and after watching "Public Enemies", I was really sold :D

ccoker
02-03-10, 11:59
one thing though, the GI won't allow you to easily put in an aftermarket sight for example without having to have the slide modified

that drives up costs

on a range, target or gaming gun having an adjustable rear sight is important

the STI comes ready to go

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=6DC0000-1161707138

Eddiesketti
02-03-10, 21:16
If you wanted inexpensive you could buy a Rock Island Armory. I believe they are around 400 new. Made by Armscor in the Philippines.

Pathfinder Ops
02-04-10, 05:39
$514 NIB

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/32590

citizensoldier16
02-04-10, 06:06
If you wanted inexpensive you could buy a Rock Island Armory. I believe they are around 400 new. Made by Armscor in the Philippines.

I've got one of these myself. It's nothing special, but it goes bang every time I pull the trigger, it eats anything I decide to feed it, and it came straight from the box shooting POA/POI at 25 yards. I simply bought it because I thought I needed a .45 to add to my vast 9mm collection.

They're built to the 1945 standards, ie:

-no beavertail
-no skeleton hammer
-USGI sights
-minimal markings
-smooth grips (I put checkered wood on mine)

My slide is tight, the trigger has a nice pull to it and breaks great, and it cycles well. For a low-end .45 for simple range use, you can't beat it.

rjacobs
02-04-10, 06:17
I think you can get a Springfield Loaded for under 800 or at least right around it.

When you start looking at 1911's you are going to think, oh a base model GI will be OK. Then you go, hey look at what the Mil-Spec has for just xxx more dollars, I would probably want that/do that eventually anyway and its cheaper to get it from the factory. Then you are gonna go, shit, look what the Loaded has over the Mil-Spec for only xxx more dollars and I would want that eventually anyway and its cheaper from the factory.

That is exactly what I did. The GI was to basic for me, the Mil-Spec had lots of good stuff on it, but then I looked at the Loaded and thought, well I am going to do all of those things eventually anyway so why not just spend the money now vs. later. I think when I did the math, just buying the gun the way I wanted it the first time vs. buying a Mil-Spec and upgrading saved about 50% or so over the cost of the parts.

ccoker
02-04-10, 08:39
I think you can get a Springfield Loaded for under 800 or at least right around it.

When you start looking at 1911's you are going to think, oh a base model GI will be OK. Then you go, hey look at what the Mil-Spec has for just xxx more dollars, I would probably want that/do that eventually anyway and its cheaper to get it from the factory. Then you are gonna go, shit, look what the Loaded has over the Mil-Spec for only xxx more dollars and I would want that eventually anyway and its cheaper from the factory.

That is exactly what I did. The GI was to basic for me, the Mil-Spec had lots of good stuff on it, but then I looked at the Loaded and thought, well I am going to do all of those things eventually anyway so why not just spend the money now vs. later. I think when I did the math, just buying the gun the way I wanted it the first time vs. buying a Mil-Spec and upgrading saved about 50% or so over the cost of the parts.

agreed, and that was my point above

d90king
02-04-10, 09:25
one thing though, the GI won't allow you to easily put in an aftermarket sight for example without having to have the slide modified

that drives up costs

on a range, target or gaming gun having an adjustable rear sight is important

the STI comes ready to go

http://www.dawsonprecision.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=6DC0000-1161707138

That is where top tier 1911 smiths come into play.;)
http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t5/d90king/18293363871.jpg

If you are going to build a duty gun, from a base pistol the refinish is actually one of the benefits of the build and the cost should already be factored into your build specs...

BIGUGLY
02-04-10, 10:18
Just look around, learn what to look for in a used gun as well. I found a SA A1 loaded for $550 used. The gun was only seven months old and was in pristine shape, I think whoever priced the gun made a little goof up.

Pappabear
02-04-10, 11:07

IMHO, if you plan to make your base model better, your base should be about $1,000. It will be so much better than buying a low end and: getting sights, get action job, magwell. ..... Your gunna love that gun like a family member, 1911's are too awesome. Save and buy a $1,000 gun. You wont be dissappointed.

d90king
02-04-10, 12:26
IMHO, if you plan to make your base model better, your base should be about $1,000. It will be so much better than buying a low end and: getting sights, get action job, magwell. ..... Your gunna love that gun like a family member, 1911's are too awesome. Save and buy a $1,000 gun. You wont be dissappointed.

The only problem with this equation .... is that if you want to trust your life with a 1k 1911 and run it hard, you will still need to invest in a 1911 smith to do the guts etc...

If you take your price point up to 2k-3k then you will probably be okay... Even though I still have my semi guns gone over properly.... You could always spend 4k-5k and just get a full house built and then you are GTG.:D

yallknowho
02-04-10, 22:35
I got a colt series 80 as a base pistol. I just got a 4# action job, reliability job, beavertail safety install, new thumb safety, plunger and slide stop. I'm gonna get sights, a dehorn, undercut the front strap and blend my SA magwell next.