PDA

View Full Version : Quikclot for First Aid in Survival Situation

AZwildcat
02-02-10, 08:24
I have a kit that I carry in my car and in my pack when I am out in bush. I keep a number of items that are important to me in the event that something catastrophic happens. A survival blanket, fire building supplies, rope, knife, water and MRE's are some of them.

One item that should be in every kit is Quikclot. It is a type of gauze pad that is impregnated with a clay-like substance that causes the blood to clot quickly. I have a heart condition that requires me to use blood thinner. If I get cut or scratched, the bleeding can be uncontrollable. The only thing I have found that can get it stopped is Quikclot. The U.S. military has used various versions of Quikclot for several years. The initial product was granular and had to be poured onto a wound. It did stop the bleeding, but there was an exothermic reaction that could cause a burning. They quit making that a couple of years ago. The new stuff is a gauze. It has no exothermic problems and works great.

I have carried it in my first aid kit for a couple of years now and have had to use it a few times. By pressing the gauze pad onto the cut and putting pressure on it for a couple of minutes, I can get the cut to stop bleeding. I now keep Quikclot in my medicine cabinet at home, in my car and in my first aid kit in my pack. Anyone who spends much time in the field is going to have occasions to get cut or deeply scratched. It is really important to have the ability to stop the bleeding and get the wound covered. One item that helps with that is Quikclot. I order mine at Quikclot.com, but it is now available at a bunch of stores and on-line merchants.

akxj
03-18-10, 16:23
I have heard of problems with Quickclot...it got used on me while in Iraq and I know they tested my blood for something b/c they used quickclot on me...but I will say this, the shit did the job...

Iraq Ninja
03-18-10, 17:18
akxj,

You are referring to the gen one QC in the powdered form. AZ mentioned QC gauze, which is the current generation and much safer.

akxj
03-18-10, 17:42
akxj,

You are referring to the gen one QC in the powdered form. AZ mentioned QC gauze, which is the current generation and much safer.

roger that...yeah it's been about 4 years since i've been to the litterbox, so i'm sure their have been advancements since I got hit...

cmiller683
03-18-10, 21:17
We had a rep from Adventure Medical Kits into work the other day. The new generation of QuikClot is supposed to be much better. The original had an exothermic reaction that reached upwards of 120 degrees, causing serious burns. It would require you to cut out the tissue embedded with quikclot when you receive treatment, at least as I understand it.

The new stuff has been toned down a little bit, reaching about 100 degrees and causing no exothermic issues, no burns. It is, like you stated, in a gauze form as opposed to a powder form. I guess the big reason they did this was for an easier application, especially if you are not laying horizontal. If injured with climbing, and stuck in your rig, pouring powder onto a wound may be pretty difficult.

This is as I understand it anyhow, and what is being used in the civilian market. I imagine it's very similar with the military, if not identical.

CMiller

K.L. Davis
03-18-10, 21:26
I am using HemCon products... KytoStat and ChitoGauze, my personal experiences are with the older agents mostly, but everything that I hear about the chitosan dressings is positive - do note that there is a caution for using them on patients with shellfish allergies though.

Iraq Ninja
03-19-10, 01:45
The new stuff has been toned down a little bit, reaching about 100 degrees and causing no exothermic issues, no burns. It is, like you stated, in a gauze form as opposed to a powder form. I guess the big reason they did this was for an easier application, especially if you are not laying horizontal. If injured with climbing, and stuck in your rig, pouring powder onto a wound may be pretty difficult.

This is as I understand it anyhow, and what is being used in the civilian market. I imagine it's very similar with the military, if not identical.

CMiller.

Gauze doesn't get in your eyes when you open up the package, unlike the powdered stuff. Gauze is a good choice since it is used for wound packing. If you were using the powdered form, you often had to put gauze on top of it to stop the deep bleeders. Makes sense to combine the two.

I think the Mil version of the gauze is different only in packaging. I don't think it (mil issued version) is available on the civilian open market, other than Ebay.

HowardCohodas
03-19-10, 04:12
This is where I get QuikClot® Products (http://www.z-medica.com/ordering/ordering.asp) for my go-bag.

MIKE G
03-19-10, 11:31
IN,

The mil version is packed in a vacuum sealed bag and is not in a roll but is more of a folded patterns so you can just feed it out of the package. As well it has an embedded strip that shows up very clearly on x-ray (even though the standard version should be easily seen as well). I have no idea why they refuse to sell it under the same premise as the standard QC gauze unless it hasnt met some regulatory standard or was to a contract specification that prevented open sales for a period of time. That being said, I would consider anything being sold on ebay to be stolen since I as a dealer can not even get the stuff.

Iraq Ninja
03-20-10, 10:13
Thanks for the update Mike. I have yet to open one up since they are a bit difficult to come by over here.

Matter of fact, everything medical related is getting tougher to find since the majority of the stuff is going to Afghanistan.

MIKE G
03-20-10, 16:23
Just as an FYI for anyone looking... (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=606521#post606521)

THE FROG
03-20-10, 16:39
My son was shot and used it on the way to the hospital. It worked as advertised.

CAP
03-23-10, 19:43
Some outdoor provision type companies like REI carry it in a civilian form from Z-Medica. I get this for backpacking, fishing and outdoor activities, in addition to a regular trauma kit depending on the travel location/destination.

http://www.rei.com/search?query=Quickclot&button.x=68&button.y=10

AZwildcat
03-25-10, 15:15
With regard to the question of where to buy Quikclot products, the answer is that it is available at a number of places- REI, Dick's Sporting Goods, and E-Bay are all carrying it. One of the easiest places is to just go to Quikclot.com or Zmedica.com. They make it, market it and will sell it directly to you. Quikclot "Nosebleed" is carried at Kroger and Fry's Supermarkets.

SO758
04-07-10, 04:51
Xcellent info here! Especially from those with first hand knowledge and use! Was planning on getting some to add to the kit, now I know which to get. Thanks

usmcamp0811
04-07-10, 17:01
when did this gauze stuff come out? I was in Iraq in '08 and we still had the granulated stuff...

FMJs-of-Freedom
04-07-10, 20:57
I bought the gauze version in 09 in a camping store. I carry it in my vehicle "survival" kit. FMJs-of-Freedom

ForTehNguyen
04-15-10, 08:28
i just watched a test vid on youtube of quick clot by cutting a pigs femoral artery and applying it, very impressive.

762xIan
04-15-10, 23:20
Great discussion and links everyone....:) I wanted to add some of this to my first aid preps. My questions are now answered without even having to ask!

ForTehNguyen
04-20-10, 10:50
if I wanted to have a decent array of quik clot for what types is it recommended to have? Am I allowed to purchase the ones that is categorized under military/LEO? or healthcare professionals? Or am I only limited to the OTC stuff.

Iraq Ninja
04-20-10, 12:51
I don't think you need an array of QC. Get the QC gauze.

Some of the best prices for the mil gauze can be found on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/QUICK-CLOT-COMBAT-GAUZE-/260588577932?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cac4a248c

Ruffino
05-28-10, 09:07
I was in Mexico a couple of weeks ago on a fishing trip with some buddies and we caught a few Dolphin that make great eating. While we were fileting them, one of the guys slashed the meat of his hand. It was a very deep, severe cut and we were nowhere near any kind of medical facility. Fortunately, I keep a pretty extensive first-aid kit in the go bag in my truck. I first tried to get the bleeding controlled with regular gauze and pressure, but it was just too much. I have some Quikclot Sport pads too and I grabbed one of them and put pressure on the pad into the wound. The bleeding stopped within a few minutes ! We put on some butterflies to close it up and wrapped it. We were in a small village south of San Carlos when this happened and it took us a couple of hours to find a medico where they took a whole bunch of stitches to take care of the cut, gave him an antibiotic shot and sent us on our way. The guy at the medico was amazed that we got the bleeding stopped before we got to him. He had never heard of Quikclot, so I gave him my last package. Now I have to order some for replacement !!
I am a little bit of a fanatic about emergency prep and regard my first-aid kit somewhere just behind a handgun for bad situations. It is the kind of thing that you don't need very often, but when you do need it, you need it badly !!

snellkid
05-30-10, 14:10
I was never thrilled with the Quick Clot Powder, Now there are several alternatives, which would be best for general carry and self application, Gauze roll, Trauma pad or Sponge (25,50 or 100 size)

AZwildcat
06-03-10, 08:52
I would suggest that you contact the Z-Medica customer service dept.. Go to their website, Z-Medica.com and you should find contact info. I don't think they sell Combat Gauze to the civilian, non-medical professional market, but it can't hurt to ask.

I keep a bunch of Quikclot Sport packs in my kit and have not had a reason to escalate beyond two pads to handle a big bleed. I haven't had to deal with anything of the nature you see in battle, but have had a couple of occasions where I had to assist with very bad gashes. The Quikclot Sport worked great each time.

I think there might be interest on this site for some of the military-use products, so it could be of value if you post your findings from Z-Medica.

mikeross506
09-15-10, 18:13
We always issued our guys a tampon cut in half to carry in their tac vests in case a medic wasn't available with the QC! They actually work great on bullet wounds!

Von Rheydt
09-15-10, 20:26
We always issued our guys a tampon cut in half to carry in their tac vests in case a medic wasn't available with the QC! They actually work great on bullet wounds!

+1. British Army trick also.

Way back, when Centurion was a rank, we were taught that if we could not get enough field dressings to use tampons or sanitary towels. Rule of thumb was that a sanitary towel should soak up a pint of the red stuff.

mikeross506
09-30-10, 19:29
It's amazing what a little ingenuity will allow for. lol

BenBru
10-27-10, 16:03
I was fortunate enough to run into a guy selling Hemostat Collagen... I didn't ask how he had got it but I definitely bought some. Anyway, I told one of my Corpsman buddies about med bags (or as I call it my "shooter repair kit") and he told me to get rid of my quik clot powder. Something along the lines of being too hard to clean out of the wound and getting too hot. I can't quite remember what the reasoning behind it was because I wasn't paying attention.

Apparently if I get shot while out hunting, or shooting and need to stop the bleeding quik clot is a no no in the civilian world.... The guaze and such is a different story.

chuckman
10-29-10, 12:18
Apparently if I get shot while out hunting, or shooting and need to stop the bleeding quik clot is a no no in the civilian world.... The guaze and such is a different story.

QuikClot is quite widely used in Civvyland. The old powdered stuff, however, should be gone forever.

Rmplstlskn
10-29-10, 12:56
Just as an FYI for anyone looking... (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=606521#post606521)

From your site:

NOTICE: Purchase of QuikClot Combat Gauze is restricted to military, law enforcement, fire, EMS or qualified medical personnel only. Proof of affiliation may be required at time of purchase.

Well, that's not much help...

Rmpl

Rmplstlskn
10-29-10, 13:00
QuikClot is quite widely used in Civvyland. The old powdered stuff, however, should be gone forever.

I keep the older granules pouches in storage for the "no other option" scenario...

The SPONGE version is also widely available, the ACS +.

Rmpl

GTF425
10-29-10, 15:58
If you have to use Quikclot, it's more than likely going to be for massive hemorrage. I've seen it used twice...once for a severed femoral artery (soldier unfortunately died within the hour) and again for two GSW's to the right thigh, but no arterial bleeding in that case.

If you buy those "sponges"...here's a hint: the Combat Guaze is just that: a guaze. You have to stuff it very tightly into the wound and hold pressure for about 3 minutes or else the blood clotting advantage of the Quikclot won't be used. I do not recommend the powders simply because it's the same deal: you have to apply direct pressure for 3 minutes and in that time you will burn the hell out of yourself if you don't have enough guaze between your hand and the wound.

A cut or gash doesn't warrant the use of QuikClot. You're better off applying a pressure dressing and move on. Seriously, unless you have severe bleeding, do NOT use that stuff. Once you commit to its application, if you don't use it properly you'll end up doing more harm than good.

"Take a knee, drink some water, and drive on. If all else fails, throw some dirt on it."

sgtjosh
05-13-11, 19:04
I carry Quikclot in my kit. Make sure you get the new stuff that does not heat up so fast.

I have also heard good stuff about celulox.