PDA

View Full Version : Question About Sling Attachment

jimmyhots
02-02-10, 12:13
Hi all,

I've got a standard-issue USGI web sling on the way that I'm going to put on my Colt 6920. My rifle has the side-mount front sling attachment. I want to convert to a bottom-mount front sling attachment. Does anyone know the following:
1. How to (properly...) remove the front side-mount sling attachment
2. Can the side-mount attachment simply be rotated and re-mounted to make a bottom-mount attachment or will I need to purchase a new bottom-mount sling attachment
3. If I need to purchase a new bottom-mount sling attachment, what's a good one to go with?

There is a mounting bracket with holes already there for what appears to be bottom-mounting, but it's unclear to me what hardware needs to be added to complete it. Any advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated. I want to get the web sling on ASAP and work on my hasty sling and loop sling skills...!

Thanks,
Jimmy

trooper84
02-02-10, 12:35
[QUOTE=jimmyhots;560394]Hi all,

I've got a standard-issue USGI web sling on the way that I'm going to put on my Colt 6920. My rifle has the side-mount front sling attachment. I want to convert to a bottom-mount front sling attachment. Does anyone know the following:
1. How to (properly...) remove the front side-mount sling attachment

Take the properly sized punch and punch out the two roll pins holding the sling mount in place. An upper reciever action block and good vise helps make this easier.

2. Can the side-mount attachment simply be rotated and re-mounted to make a bottom-mount attachment or will I need to purchase a new bottom-mount sling attachment

Have't tried this, but I don't think so.

3. If I need to purchase a new bottom-mount sling attachment, what's a good one to go with?

Go to BCM's website and get the front sling swivel for $3.50 and front sling swivel rivet for $1.75.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-M4-Barrel-Parts-s/4.htm

Good luck!

jimmyhots
02-02-10, 13:38
Go to BCM's website and get the front sling swivel for $3.50 and front sling swivel rivet for $1.75.
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-M4-Barrel-Parts-s/4.htm

Good luck!

Thanks. I see what I need to do now with both removal of the current side-mount attachment and installation of the bottom-swivel, except how can I install the rivet without specialized tools?

JH

motorolahamm
02-02-10, 18:57
do you want to sell the side swivel mount:) thanks

jimmyhots
02-16-10, 17:11
do you want to sell the side swivel mount:) thanks

Well actually I'm keeping the side swivel on for now and am using it instead of bottom-mount. Seems to work just fine with the USGI sling. If I do decide to sell it I'll let you know-

JH

motorolahamm
02-16-10, 21:26
Well actually I'm keeping the side swivel on for now and am using it instead of bottom-mount. Seems to work just fine with the USGI sling. If I do decide to sell it I'll let you know-

JH

Thanks

Failure2Stop
02-16-10, 23:54
FYI- You can use a side-mounted front attachment for both hasty and loop sling use.