PDA

View Full Version : Land

dsmguy7
02-02-10, 21:01

MIKE G
02-02-10, 22:00
If it was me, I would be looking for a piece of land that was:

-discreet: not on a main thoroughfare, limited visible structures from road.

-defendable: ideally it would be setup so that you could setup a defensive perimeter with the aid of naturally occurring landmarks.

-wooded: a large enough wooded section to sustain yearly cuts and stockpiling that would allow for enough wood for heat, cooking, and surplus. Cutting would be setup as a sustained program of cut and plant or selective cutting to allow for better growth of what is left behind.

-wet: accessible water table for a well and ideally either a small stream, spring, or river access. Pond would be nice but ideally not traded against running water.

-stable: positioned to be safe from major weather issues such as flooding, tornadoes, etc. Not a deal breaker but a consideration.

As far as how much, I want enough to have a range, a good sized garden, wooded area, and other items mentioned above. Ideally it would be measured in the hundreds but money is always a leading factor.

Outlander Systems
02-02-10, 22:54
Where in Alabama are you?

I know of some really nice areas in West Georgia that I've been looking at for a Bug-Out retreat since about '02.

Mike G's pretty much covered the basics. A nearby water source is priority 1 on my list...

dsmguy7
02-02-10, 23:29

Outlander Systems
02-03-10, 06:59
I think Mike's referring to something that gives you a strategic advantage.

If you're setting up a retreat location for the collapse of civilisation, being in the middle of an open field/prarie, that sits within a small valley, surrounded on all sides by wooded cliffs is NOT a tactically sound setup.

On-site resources are definitely a big plus; trees, streams, ponds, etc.

The issue with streams is that they can easily be dammed up by someone up-source which could lead to some interesting problems later on.

I would prefer, personally, to be located near a small town, with some agricultural capabilities, but YMMV.

dsmguy7
02-03-10, 13:34