PDA

View Full Version : preferred brand of Midlength handguard?

RAM Engineer
04-02-07, 19:34
As soon as my two uppers come in from Grant, I'll be needing some midlength handguards. Not a rail system or freefloating handguard, just plain, old-fashioned two piece metal and plastic. I know that Cav Arms has a couple of different ones, and presumably Armalite & Rock River have some.

My "querstions" are: Who makes the slimmest midlength handguards? & Who is your preferred Midlength handguard brand?

I like standard CAR handguards, and that diameter would be great, but I'm not sure if it would be rigid enough when stretched another 2 inches.

Anyway, all opinions are welcome as long as they are spoken with experience.

thanks
Jason

Ellery Holt
04-02-07, 20:44
The only ones I know of are Armalite, Cavalary Arms and Rock River Arms.

I have owned Armalite's. Sold them without using them. Very thin & flexible -- exactly what one would expect when you hear the word 'cheap'.

Cavalary Arms I still own. An FDE set and a black set. Two other black sets have passed through my hands for inspection. They're more substantially made but the heat shields are installed in a sometimes haphazard fashion. Slots are cut along each inside edge for the aluminum shields but the slots are as often as not ill-placed, leaving the shield poorly aligned/placed.

By compairison, rifle-length handguards from Bushmaster & others are solid and the heat shields are well installed.

My 2 cents.

Snake RAH
04-02-07, 21:55
Cav Arms. RRA and Armalite's were too flimsy. Pick up a pair of the C8 handguards, as they are tapered while the C6 are not tapered, like M4 handguards.

LOKNLOD
04-03-07, 10:29
I've had the Cav Arms version in both the M4 and Tapered profiles, and they are solid and good quality. I ended up keeping the M4 profile, but both seemed equally well built.

9DivDoc
04-03-07, 17:53
you can always go Carbon fiber ...with no rails...

I think Briley is having a sale...buy the rifle length and take your band saw to 'em

(I have not cut these so you might want to ask Briley what blade to use...if you need to tape them on the cut...)

RAM Engineer
04-04-07, 18:57
Thanks for all the tips guys. I've narrowed it down to one of the CAV Arms sets or a PRI freefloat.

Razorhunter
04-05-07, 21:22
you can always go Carbon fiber ...with no rails...

I think Briley is having a sale...buy the rifle length and take your band saw to 'em

(I have not cut these so you might want to ask Briley what blade to use...if you need to tape them on the cut...)

More info please? WHO is Briley, and how do I see these C/F tubes on the net??? Do tell...

RAM Engineer
04-05-07, 21:40
http://www.briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=506

dukduk
04-11-07, 02:43
http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/?shop=1&cart=653278&cat=1&

tr1kstanc3
02-01-10, 21:51
Looking for some standard plastic midlength handguards myself. What is today's current recommendation? The ones sold at BCM made by RRA have not been getting the best reviews. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

the_fallguy
02-01-10, 22:34
Wow. Old thread resurrection!

So far I've been very satisfied with the Mid-length Cavalry Arms C6 hand guards that I installed on my BCM mid length. The M4 profile works well for my build and my shooting style. If you prefer the tapered style hand guards, try the C8 model. I picked mine up from Brownells.

crazymoose
02-01-10, 23:24
I like Cav Arms.

Or do what I did: turn that middy into a dissipator and slap some Colt rifle-length handguards on there!

Bimmer
02-01-10, 23:27
I'm still using whatever the handguards are that came with my CMMG (stop laughing).

They look just like the ones on CMMG's website under "Furniture" (duh). I have no complaints.

Bimmer

markman
02-02-10, 05:52
I picked up a set of new take offs from what I was told a Sabre Defense Middy. I don't know who the manufacturer is, but they have dual heat shields and seem very sturdy. My second set I found on a equipment exchange (new take offs also) and they are exactly the same as the first pair I bought!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/mfmuf/DSCN0334.jpg

ForTehNguyen
02-02-10, 10:33
cant wait until Summer so the Magpul MOE middy handguards come out