PDA

View Full Version : Blade too loose--falling open on SOG folder

maximus83
02-02-10, 23:01
I have a nice SOG folder, the "Xray Vision" smaller size. Anyway, the knife has some type of assisted opening and over time and use, it has gotten to where if I just give the knife a good wrist flick, without even touching the stud, the blade just falls open.

This is not good. Not only is unsafe in a pocket and so forth, in many states (like WA, where I live), this would violate the definition in the knife laws as to what can be carried.

My question: Is it likely just a matter of tightening some of the external hex screws around where the opening mechanism is? My concern is that these screws were probably torqued to specific inch-pounds settings from the factory, and whatever I try to do, it'll either be too much or too little. I may also ping SOG to see if they have tips. Their website was definitely no help.

Buckaroo
02-03-10, 08:17
Are you sure that this would constitute a violation of your state's laws? One of my criteria for a folding knife is that I am able to open it with a wrist flick rather than it requiring two hands, just in case!

I would email or call SOG and ask them, maybe it will be considered warranty work.

Buckaroo

cevtv
02-03-10, 14:19
I have a nice SOG folder, the "Xray Vision" smaller size. Anyway, the knife has some type of assisted opening and over time and use, it has gotten to where if I just give the knife a good wrist flick, without even touching the stud, the blade just falls open.

This is not good. Not only is unsafe in a pocket and so forth, in many states (like WA, where I live), this would violate the definition in the knife laws as to what can be carried.

My question: Is it likely just a matter of tightening some of the external hex screws around where the opening mechanism is? My concern is that these screws were probably torqued to specific inch-pounds settings from the factory, and whatever I try to do, it'll either be too much or too little. I may also ping SOG to see if they have tips. Their website was definitely no help.

Don't over think it....Just tighten the pivot to where you want it. ;)

RWK
02-05-10, 08:30
Don't over think it....Just tighten the pivot to where you want it.

...and use Loctite.

cevtv
02-05-10, 16:58
...and use Loctite.

You could do that, but in all the years I have had my X-Ray Vision, the pivot has never loosened up from where I set it.