PDA

View Full Version : Scoping my scout.

SoDak
02-02-10, 23:28
I'm looking to add a scope to my savage scout, but I'm having troubles deciding between a scout scope or just sticking a regular rifle scope on it. I'm interested in going with a regular scope since I have more options and to be honest, I don't really care if I lose the rear sight. Does anybody have some recommendations as to what would be a good optics choice?

Amicus
02-03-10, 01:01
Is that the 10 FCM Scout? IIRC, the Savage Scouts appeared, then disappeared, then reappeared as a LE variant.

Scout rifles are "concept" rifles, and it's a pretty good one. They are designed as lightweight utility rifles accurate out to the effective range of the cartridge. I have created several from Swedish Mausers, and I am satisfied with the performance.

The standard scout scopes were always the Leupold 2.5x (actually more like 2.3x) and the Burris 2.75x. I like the Burris scopes with the heavy plex reticule (I don't think they make the fine plex anymore).

If you want the scout concept, then go with the Leupold or Burris scout models. Both are good. The scout scopes take a bit of getting used to, like sitting further back from the TV than you are accustomed, but they are quite fast with both eyes open and will give you a lot of peripheral awareness (less "tunnel" vision). Not to sound like an ass, but, if you don't want to use a scout scope, why go with a scout rifle?

If you look around, you may find a pistol scope that will have short enough eye relief to work for you like a scout scope, but I would be careful about getting anything with variable power settings because of the changes in eye relief. Scout rifles really work best with low power fixed power scopes.

SoDak
02-03-10, 08:32
I bought it a few years back when it was rereleased with the idea of just using the irons on it. I shot it a few times, decided I didn't like the sights savage put on it, and put it away. I guess I'm still open to the scout scope idea, I was just under the impression that maybe the scout scope isn't always the best choice and maybe I'd be better off with something else.

Amicus
02-03-10, 10:47
What type of scout scope did Savage include in the package?

SoDak
02-03-10, 11:55
It didn't come with a scope.

Amicus
02-03-10, 12:03
Ok, here's a wacky idea that came out of somewhere. You might want to take a look at the Trijicon TR21 series rifle scopes. The eye relief on these is ridiculously long for a "standard" rifle scope. Officially, it is listed as 4.8" (lowest mag) to 3.4" (highest mag). Actually, I think you could add an inch to those measurements.

If you mounted the scope as far back as possible, it might put the ocular (eyepiece) just about over the rear sight. You'll have to do some pretty careful measuring, but it could work. I encourage you to check out a TR21 before you try this. Two TR21s with post sights (not crosshair) are available on the Sample List at SWFA for $449-$499.

It could be the best, or the worst, of both worlds. Good luck.

chris914
02-03-10, 13:45
Having owned a Savage Scout for 2 years now, I like the Burris scout scope with one exception. The cross hairs in the scope are too big for much precision. The rifle will shoot much better than the scope allows me to "see". I am about to sent my scope back to burris for a recticle swap to a ballistic plex type that has been calibrated for my particular pet load. Once it comes back I will be able to shoot out to about 500 by just putting the plex cross hairs on the target. I feel that the cross hairs in the Leupold are just as bad. This is my personal preference but I do know that others have similar feelings about it. If you are not married to the scout concept as set forth by Jeff Cooper then get yourself a nice low power variable and put it in some QD rings with a back up sight that can be carried on the rifle in a stock pack. You can still exercise the concept just not as fast as if the sight was attached all the time. I think that your choice really depends on your intended purposes. What do you want to do with this rifle?

MAUSER88
02-04-10, 09:27
Any optic you put on the Scout will only give you a partial cheekweld. I prefer a sold cheekweld with a .308 rifle.

I added and adjustable cheekpad and went with an Aimpoint ML3Comp. With this setup I get a perfect solid cheekweld.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd88/MAUSER888/MVC-042L-2.jpg

8th
02-04-10, 12:08
For fixed power the Leupold IER not EER is the hands down winner. Make sure you get the newer version with a forward bell. The older version sucked in my opinion and is the main reason the concept is not more widely accepted. If you want a bit more magnification then look at the Burris Pistol Scopes. I have a 2-7 variable with ballistics plex on my scout 308. If I had to do it again I would really look at the illuminated reticle ones.

As far as check weld all of the scopes mentioned give me a check weld on the different rifles I have tried them on including, marlin 45/70, custom mauser, remington with mcmillian Md 7 stock, a M1A scout and M1a socom. You just have to use the right height rings. For that matter they also work on an AK with a ultimak.

Amicus
02-04-10, 12:52
Any optic you put on the Scout will only give you a partial cheekweld. I prefer a sold cheekweld with a .308 rifle.

I added and adjustable cheekpad and went with an Aimpoint ML3Comp. With this setup I get a perfect solid cheekweld.

Mauser88: is that a Karsten Camo model?

ST911
02-04-10, 15:41
I put a straight 4x on my shorty .308, which works well for my uses.

SoDak
02-04-10, 17:00
I put a straight 4x on my shorty .308, which works well for my uses.

What manufacturer and model?

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-04-10, 20:19
I would go with the traditional Leupold or Burris Scout scopes.

Steve
02-05-10, 08:41
i put a t-1 and a trijicon rmr on mine i love the RMR on it

ST911
02-05-10, 12:05
What manufacturer and model?

Oops, Leupold M8. 4x32.

SoDak
03-25-10, 23:33
Bringing this back because I might have found a worthwhile scope. I have a line on a new burris 2-7 pistol scope with illuminated reticle for a very fair price. Have many people gone with these? I know there was another thread where it was mentioned, but wasn't sure if anything came of it.

Amicus
03-26-10, 05:04
SoDak:

If that doesn't work out I have a Burris Scout scope fine plex that I may part with for short money.

Mjolnir
03-28-10, 09:40
Trijicon Accupoint should be phenomenal, too. No ranging ability but a remarkable piece of glass.

BKS
04-03-10, 23:35
I have a Ruger Frontier in 308 with the Leupold 2.75 FXII Scout scope on it and like it.

Not hijacking his thread, but, Amicus if he doesn't want that Burris and you decide to sell it, I would like to see about buying/trading for it.

Rosco Benson
04-04-10, 08:43
The Gunsite Gunsmithy built my scout (on a Ruger 77 RSI) back in 1983 or so. I've always like Mannlicher-style stocks. It has the Burris 2.75X. Nice rifle. I really like the tang safety of the older M77.

It may be heresy, but I think that a better sight solution for a general purpose rifle is a quality conventionally-mounted variable scope of 1.5-5X or so.

Rosco

Dan Goodwin
04-04-10, 09:03
FWIW:

If you don't want the Scout features: fwd base, BUIS, why not just sell it and get a Ruger Compact in .308? Put a Leupold 2.5X or 4X lightweight on it and go kill things. We had a .260 CR that was death on a cracker with a 1.5-5X.

The whole idea of the Scout is a light, fast target acquisition bolt gun with power to drop anything in North America up to 400 kg. The BUIS are for when optics break or weather requires irons, just like on an AR.

A heavy duplex reticle is at the heart of the fast target acquisition. Both eyes open, crosshair, press.

Cooper put the 200 yard zero right at the point the crosshairs touch in the bottom right quadrant for accuracy. Close enough at the ranges for which a Scout is indicated.

If you want to keep the Savage, put a Pic rail on the receiver, and put the the Scout scope and a Leupold 6x36 each in LT mounts, and get an NECG ghost ring sight. Let your perceived mission drive the optic/sight selection.

The Scout should work fine to 250 yards, and if you need to make a long poke have the 6x set for 300; maybe get a turret to spin yourself up to 600 yards.

Carry the spare scope and BUIS in a small pack with extra rounds.

SoDak
04-04-10, 09:50
I have a Ruger Frontier in 308 with the Leupold 2.75 FXII Scout scope on it and like it.

Not hijacking his thread, but, Amicus if he doesn't want that Burris and you decide to sell it, I would like to see about buying/trading for it.

If you want to buy the scope from Amicus go ahead, I still haven't decided on what to do and don't really have the money anyway.

Amicus
04-05-10, 10:59
Hi guys. I just thought I'd mention that I am not really aggressively trying to sell anything. About 10 years ago I made two scout configurations based on Swedish Mauser barreled actions: a 1896 and a 38/96 conversion (for those of you who might be interested in this). But, I wound up with three scopes for two rifles. I never mounted the Burris I mentioned before.

I have no plans for the scope I have, and it sits on the shelf of stuff with similar provenance (i.e., it seemed like a good idea at the time). One person has been in touch with me about buying it, but he may have declined; I haven't heard from him in a week.

Under the circumstances, I'd like to make sure the scope gets a good home with someone who wants to play around with the scout concept. While I can't really justify giving it away, I could part with it at a loss if someone really wants to do this. I also do not want to get into trouble with the moderators, so, send me a message if interested.