PDA

View Full Version : help me make up my mind...

freedomfirst
02-03-10, 06:33
first post/long time lurker.

first off, i've read a lot of threads on this forum and i pretty much know which direction i'm heading, but maybe there's something i'm missing and i'd just like to hear some other opinions.

i was planning a new purchase, my first railed handgun. i'm a long time 1911 guy, but it's getting expensive to do it right, money of which i don't have at this point. so, i've been looking for my next platform, here are my requirments...

Purpose: lots of target shooting and self defense/concealed carry.
- 9mm or 45
- reliability/low maintenance
- cost, i don't like wasting my money on "junk" and i want a to spend x amount of dollars on a low maintenance platform and be done with it. no aftermarket wonder parts or "upgrades".

from my research, i've pretty much narrowed it down to a pair of m&p9's over a 3k railed 1911. am i making the right decision or should i stick with 1911's?

not counting general maintenance, how often do i have to change out recoil springs and such in the m&p's and what about parts breakage? from what i've read here, it seems like i don't have to worry about either?

9 vs 45 in an m&p...
i'm leaning towards the 9 as i feel like i'll shoot the 9 version better (and cheaper practice ammo). once i get comfortable with the platform i can always get a 45? is my way of thinking here wrong? keep in mind i am coming from shooting 1911's exclusively.

also, thumb safety or not? i was leaning towards "no". the m&p already has a trigger safety and a firing pin safety... another safety is another thing that can go wrong/break?

excluding the fact that revolvers are low cap, should i be considering them as well for a primary before i make my decision final?

anything else?

Business_Casual
02-03-10, 06:57
There are any number of discussions exactly like this already posted.

Here is a link to most of them: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=30221

You might also want to try the search function.

M_P

PlatoCATM
02-03-10, 07:16
Go with your leanings. They sound like wise decisions.