PDA

View Full Version : ACOG 4X models

VA_Dinger
07-11-06, 13:53
I'm interesting to hear your opinion on what 4x ACOG reticle you prefer for a GP optic. I have owned the TA31 & TA31F models, but have shot with the TA01NSN on several occasions. So my opinion will be based solely on experience with these three models. Please base your opinion on personal experience only. Posting a strong opinion about a product you have never owned or at least used extensively is something we are trying to avoid on M4carbine.

Based off owning or shooting the three models I have listed I prefer the TA31F reticle. I guess the TA31RCO models could also be lumped in, since the reticles are basically the same. I liked the inferred added precision of the nice & clear chevron tip. I also did not feel it was any slower than the “Donut of Death” for 25 and under shots. While I never got 100% comfortable using an ACOG at these ranges I have personally witnessed some damn quick and accurate shooting at these ranges using either reticle. These guys had made the conscious decision to use the ACOG and trained with it enough to overcome its slight disadvantage at these ranges. I apparently did not give myself enough time. Would these guys have been faster with a 1x optic (Eotech/Aimpoint)? I would say yes, but they also had the advantage of having 4x for longer-range target ID and precision. It’s a game of give and take for a GP optic and the ACOG gives one of the best compromises available in my opinion. They might not give a shooter all the options available with scopes like the S&B short Dot, but they cost ˝ as much.

CapnCrunch
07-11-06, 16:27
I'm the fastest, and the most accurate with the TA31DOC. The reticle is precise enough for semi-precision, but it's still bold enough for speed. If they put that reticle in the TA11, it would be blazing fast.

I'd probably drop the Short Dot in favor of a TA11 w/ the DOC reticle. I like the idea that much.

Josh-L
07-11-06, 16:30
I've owned and tried just about every ACOG known to man at this point in my life. If I had to choose one I would go with the TAO1with a JPoint on the top. I'm just partial to crosshairs I guess. I liked my TA31F but we shot movers one day and I couldn't hit jack crap with it because the 4x was kicking my butt. I also really liked the Leupold 1.5 - 5x with circle dot but only got to play with it for about 20 minutes. I keep going back to irons and have decided not to buy any more optics until I win the lottery.

dubb-1
07-11-06, 23:15
If I had to have a 4X ACOG, it would be a TA31F. That said, I have no use for a 4X optic. Try to track a mover, or quickly scan surroundings through the optic, without, and then with again. Not good. It is my opinion that the TA44R-4 is the best GP ACOG available.

CapnCrunch
07-12-06, 16:37
If I had to have a 4X ACOG, it would be a TA31F. That said, I have no use for a 4X optic. Try to track a mover, or quickly scan surroundings through the optic, without, and then with again. Not good. It is my opinion that the TA44R-4 is the best GP ACOG available.
That's why I like the TA11. It's an awesome optic, albeit a tad heavy and long for what it is.

VA_Dinger
07-12-06, 21:48
That's why I like the TA11. It's an awesome optic, albeit a tad heavy and long for what it is.

Why the TA11? Is it the extra eye relief?

CapnCrunch
07-12-06, 23:16
Larger FOV and the extra eye relief. Also, being a 3.5x I find it to be noticably faster than the 4X ACOGs. If I had my way, Trijicon would be offering this with the TA31DOC reticle. I think it would sell like hotcakes, especially to the 3-Gun crowd.

KevinB
07-21-06, 21:45
I have always thought the TA31/TA01 gives a larger (albiet not much) FOV.
I started with a TA01NSN -- went to the KAC DR Optic mount on it -- got frustrated by the fact it greys out in the field in dusk conditions. I went to a TA31 - enjoyed it -- then found in Afghan that it was worthless for some tasks I needed (especially when in vehicles) I had to drop it and go to an EOTECH (well okay I played musical optics with an Aimpoint M2 when my Rev E dide and I waited for a RevF to come in). Then I was out in the countryside and missed the damn TA31.. I got a Short Dot and have not looked back (albiet it is tougher from moving vehicles than the EO)

I plan on picking up a TA31DOC to play with

Kisara
08-01-06, 23:20
I have always thought the TA31/TA01 gives a larger (albiet not much) FOV.

True.
36.80 feet vs 28.90 feet @ 100 yards.

Pat_Rogers
08-02-06, 10:08
"I got a Short Dot and have not looked back"
No kidding?
I like the ACOG's, but a fixed 4x is a fixed 4x, and while they are less expensive than a S&B, they are also significantly less capable.
I generally bring an extra Short Dot and EOTech to class to loan out to guys w/o optics or with insufficient optics.
The EOTech and Aimpoints are great for pure CQB and most general use. The Short Dot give "general purpose optic" a new definition.

C4IGrant
08-02-06, 11:41
The TA31DOC (or any ACOG with a small reflex optic on top) is a good SECOND choice to the S&B. I will soon have the new generation of Dr. Optics and mounts (for ANY ACOG) in stock.

C4

DocGKR
08-03-06, 12:36
The 3.5x TA11 is our preferred ACOG. Having said that, the S&B Short Dot closer to being the ideal GP optic...

Voodoochild
08-03-06, 14:33
I owned a TA01NSN and sold it and got a TA31F and like it so much better field of view is so much better and eye relief is so much better. the TA31DOC is a nice looking optic but a wee bit to expensive for me. I have shot with an EOTech but dont much like it. I have not tried a Short Dot but would look to see how well they work.

-H-
08-08-06, 22:07
I have a TA31F, I have a bias because I've only peeked through a TA01 and one of the compact models. Out of the few I've tried I am hooked on the TA31F. I find it aims fast and accurate follow up shots are easy. I shoot at night alot so the Illuminated portion is handy for taking shots at distances where I couldn't even see with irons. I'd like to find a place where I could shoot unknown ranges as it would be a better test of my abilities as well as the optic.

If you are concerned about close ranges with the fixed 4x, here is something to try. If you can control your eye dominance, with both eyes open use the eye not looking directly through the optic. For me I see the illuminated cheveron appear above the front sight post and to the left. Sometimes I have to blink and hold the eye closed for a split second to switch dominance to the other eye. It's worth a try. Other than that Point shooting is your friend.:D

VA_Dinger
08-12-06, 21:38
I will have to admit that I'm getting more and more interested in the TA31DOC. It seems to cure most of my issues with the 4X ACOG. I only wish Grant still lived in Virginia so I could check one out before I spend the cash.