PDA

View Full Version : Bowie's new daily carry M&P

Bowie Tactical
02-03-10, 13:54
I thought i would show off my new daily carry M&P. It is a full size 9mm cut to compact grip size, carries a Trijicon red dot, like all my working guns do, has my "LX" trigger job and full stipple Pkg. I fully throated chamber and polished feed ramp as well. Beveled mag well and a slight undercut on trigger guard and also radiused the slide. Handles like a dream. Sorry i can build a gun but can't seem to get the pix on the page.

David Bowie
Bowie Tactical

theJanitor
02-03-10, 13:58
how much? and how long to get a M&P cut to compact size? and NO grip texturing?

John_Wayne777
02-03-10, 14:08
Sorry i can build a gun but can't seem to get the pix on the page.

David Bowie
Bowie Tactical

Well I can post pics but if I took a soldering iron to my M&P it would end up looking like it was chewed up by a radioactive mutant.

I think you got the better end of the deal as far as that goes.

ccoker
02-03-10, 14:11
that's wicked cool

loupav
02-03-10, 14:11
That's bad ass!

I can't wait to send an HK45 to you.

rob_s
02-03-10, 14:19
The picture

http://m4carbine.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=4145&d=1265226869

catatonic
02-03-10, 14:24
Just curious, but why an RDS for CCW purposes?

joffe
02-03-10, 14:37
How do those little red dots hold up? How about one handed slide racking?

Magsz
02-03-10, 15:00
Weird.

The guys doing the grip chops that are reducing the grip size to G19ish length have my interest.

I love my compact but i admit that its too short. Im surprised that you would go that short.

Having said that, great work as usual! Very nice attention to detail.

Bowie Tactical
02-03-10, 15:32
Why a red dot. speed and accuracy at distance, target focus and in an active busy environment taking the focus off down range to focus on the front sight makes the target area go blury and potentially very hard to keep track of. it has the same effect as red dots on rifles. I have been running this set up for an number of years and have now converted all my guns to this. Durability has been perfect. 6 years not one broken sight and i have racked slides i dont know how many times with them and beat them pretty hard. The only problem is only one sight is viable right now for a handgun. All the others have no iron sight back up built in. So if it were to fail you pretty well screwed. using an iron sight behind the others means a cluttered window and way tall sights.
I have been pushing this for a few years now. I think soon we are going to see this take flight. All it takes is people to handle it and thier sold. Why not we run them on rifles all the time.
The grip length is small but, for a daily carry pretty much year round gun, the M&P compact has plenty to grip.
I am working on cost. it is no easy task. Especially to keep the back straps interchangable.

David Bowie

catatonic
02-03-10, 15:38
SNIP... I have been pushing this for a few years now. I think soon we are going to see this take flight. All it takes is people to handle it and thier sold. Why not we run them on rifles all the time. ...SNIP

Yes, RDS are common on rifles, however, what worries me is with a handgun RDS, you have no BUIS to deploy.
I think it turned out very nice though, I'm planning on picking up a M&P9 in the very near future.

Magsz
02-03-10, 15:40
Mr Bowie.

Do you still have the "frame tool" in that gun?

Buckaroo
02-03-10, 15:55
I am working on cost. it is no easy task. Especially to keep the back straps interchangable.

David Bowie

So, will this allow the use of a CT backstrap? Are you using the FS backstraps and cutting them down?

Thanks

Buckaroo

CaptainDooley
02-03-10, 16:07
I like the looks of it, but I guess my question is why start with a FS and cut it down? The longer barrel I suppose?

Also, which RDS is it that has a rear sight built in and what front sights do they work with?

Bowie Tactical
02-03-10, 16:44
The J-point and the Trijicon red dot do have back up iron sights. The trijicon red dot is a licensed J-point. That is why i use them . They are the only sight i would run. The iron sight back up with the factory front sight co-witness very very well. should dot die just shoot through to the mechanicals .
Sorry no crimson trace set up for this. It can be done wit interchangable inserts. A new new set up to hold them in though not the tool like comes in gun.
David Bowie

YVK
02-06-10, 11:41
David, what kind of battery life do MRDs have? I've recently got a J-Point in a trade and have been thinking of having it mounted on my G-19. Put a fresh battery and checked 2 months later - it was dead. Is this what you get with your MRDs?

Also, I got a questions on iron sight agjustment. My 19 shoots almost dead on (just a tiny bit) with Heinie's, the front being 0.215 tall. With lower height of build-in back-up sight of J-point, do you change the front sight to even taller one? Are there taller front sights?

Sandpiper111
02-06-10, 15:42
I believe David had mentioned earlier on this topic that he was getting about a year of battery life, with it on 24/7, if I'm not mistaken, based on his six years experience.

This config has certainly been catching my attention. I suspect David's right, this will take off. Once there are a few more manufacturers offering RD options, more 'smiths with fast-turnaround installations, and units/individuals using it more visibly which get more and more people thinking more about it (like tier one folks or just interest caused by someone like a Costa and a Haley), this will become a real choice for operators and citizens over the next few years.

catatonic
02-06-10, 18:34
The J-point and the Trijicon red dot do have back up iron sights. ..snip

I was totally unaware of that, learning has occurred. My RDS knowledge is very limited. Thanks.

MadDog
02-07-10, 19:51
I had David mill my M&P slide about 15 or 16 months ago. Mine still has the original battery in it and it's going strong. I do not use the "sleepy time" cover so in effect it is on and working 24/7. I am going to change the battery this week just to be on the safe side. I changed out my front sight to a Dawson Precission "before" I found out about David's work and it just happens to be the proper height for a POA/POI hold at 20 yards. You can see the open sight notch in the back of the MRD in both pictures but better in the top one.

David, I hope you don't mind me showing off your excellent work.
MadDog :cool:

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/7287/mp9mm013.jpg

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9206/mp9mm005.jpg

YVK
02-07-10, 22:22
I believe David had mentioned earlier on this topic that he was getting about a year of battery life, with it on 24/7, if I'm not mistaken, based on his six years experience.

I had David mill my M&P slide about 15 or 16 months ago. Mine still has the original battery in it and it's going strong. I do not use the "sleepy time" cover so in effect it is on and working 24/7.

Well, that makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong. I got my J-Point in trade, no cover, no manual. I wasn't even aware that there was a way to turn it off as I don't see a "power button". Regardless, you guys state 1 year battery life with 24/7 on, and mine, unmounted, was 2 months or less on fresh battery. Maybe I'll stick another battery in and drop JP folks a line.

98z28
02-08-10, 10:04
If I can find a solid duty holster that will accommodate this setup, I would give this a try. I REALLY like the Safariland ALS system and I don't think it could be modified to fit the red dot...

Might have to try it anyway.

David (Bowie Tactical),

What holster are using for duty work that will accommodate this setup? Have you used this in the rain? Can you still see the dot and/or irons with water on the lens?

Bowie Tactical
02-18-10, 10:15
I use the safariland SLS holsters for Duty and SWAT. I heat the front top of the holster up then slide the gun in with the cover on it and let it cool. Then with cover off for use its fits perfect. I made a velcro attached ballistic nylon cover that attatches to the front of the holster and the rotating hood to help with light and weather concerns. I have used it in rain and with sight wet. It does mess with it some but it has never not allowed me to shoot it well. neat thing is with the recoil after the first shot lens i real clean.
I am getting alot of request for the RMR from trijicon. it is not a good pistol sight. It has no iron sight back up should dot fail due to machanics or battery. I am working on a way to make it work but i can't imagine right now putting it on a true life or death fighting gun. I have an idea to make it viable but it will take a little while to ring it out. I have also been talking to Trijicon hoping to get a pistol dedicated sight designed. We'll see. The RMR is also to big with its impact corners for a real concealment gun.

David Bowie

Dan Goodwin
02-19-10, 09:08
David, my brother is mulling an M&P Compact .45. Gonna email him this thread, may push him over the edge and get you a customer.

You sent me an email a year or so back, but can't recall content. Is there a problem doing this same configuration on a Glock?

SeaSoldier
02-19-10, 18:01
I think I may ditch the idea of doing this on a G19 and go with the M&P instead,

SmokeJumper
02-20-10, 15:47
Sweet set-up. I'm curious, you mentioned daily carry gun, so I assume it is carried concealed. What holster are you carrying in with the large sight set up for concealed carry?

MadDog
02-21-10, 11:44
SmokeJumper: I believe David is active SWAT so his daily carry may be a duty rig but for the M&P he has pictured I would agree that's probably his CCW gun. For CCW this set up will fit most holsters "without" a thumb-break. I use a holster made by Kevin Manley of K&D Holsters. He did a nice left hand strong side OWB with Stingray trim. I am sure most IWB's will work as well.

MadDog :p

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9206/mp9mm005.jpg