PDA

View Full Version : Any Army Guys Remember These...

Outlander Systems
02-03-10, 16:32
You find the weirdest shit on Craigslist for next to nothing...

Locker inspection:

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/987/locker1.jpg

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/5017/locker2.jpg

PlatoCATM
02-03-10, 16:34
I'm not Army, but I'm staring at one similar to yours right now. May I ask what kind of deal you got on this? It's a sweet find, I wouldn't mind having one as an ammo or gear locker.

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 16:34
Mine was in way worse shape from being "flipped" so many damn times :D

Outlander Systems
02-03-10, 16:37
I bought four for $300. :D

Of course, I had to drive 200 miles today, round-trip to get 'em, but still.

Not only do they bring back nostalgia, but the competition is pathetic at best:

http://www.homedepot.com/Storage-Commercial-Grade-Storage/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zbduz/R-100669779/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Tupperware Storage, or Military Wall-Lockers. I'm working up "The Chart" on Man Cave storage solutions.

SW-Shooter
02-03-10, 16:39
I just had flashbacks of rolled underwear, and shined boots under my bunk. I miss those days, they made me feel like I was a part of something great.

Outlander Systems
02-03-10, 16:40
To this day, I still roll my T-Shirts.

ETA: I just need some green wool blankets, and some fatbody sprinkling foot-powder on my head to really get it right.

Erik 1
02-03-10, 16:46
I just need some green wool blankets, and some fatbody sprinkling foot-powder on my head to really get it right.

I'm sure there's a website that caters to your needs.

I'd love to pick up a couple of those as well.

Hoosier70
02-03-10, 16:47
Ugh.. The nightmares of dust bunnies

Outlander Systems
02-03-10, 16:48
Pic from the seller:

http://images.craigslist.org/3nf3k13p75O75T85R2a1rf676468834db119d.jpg

Type "military" into Craigslist and you may just find some wild stuff. I was originally looking for a cheap metal desk for my garage, and stumbled upon the wall lockers.

SW-Shooter
02-03-10, 16:49
I used my poncho liner in lieu of ole scratchy. Come to think of it, off to Egay I go.

Thomas M-4
02-03-10, 16:49
Mine was in way worse shape from being "flipped" so many damn times :D

:DNo shit they were beat to hell and back;)

Danny Boy
02-03-10, 16:50
I remember it all too well.

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x51/coltm733/IMG_0160.jpg

I had the exact ones pictured in reception battalion. I still live out of those, except they're made of wood now.

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 16:53
ugghhh, I almost forgot about the green wool dust bunnies....

mark5pt56
02-03-10, 18:09
Two experiences with them monsters

1-Basic/AIT, having to take all of them out of the bay and down (and back up twice)two flights because some dumbass got caught with fireworks.

2-Frankfurt FRG 3 years later-Our barracks being remodeled on Drake Kaserne, we had to move them to Edwards and up 4 flights for storage. Payback a few months later-Plt Sgt told us to go get them all-supply Sgt. interceps us-we don't need them any longer-get rid of them. --Sure--payback time! Amazing what happens to them when they fly 50' onto cobblestone. Priceless though later when the Plt Sgt ask where they are because we need them for extra gear--uh, you need to talk to Sgt. H.

Pathfinder Ops
02-03-10, 18:10

I had the exact ones pictured in reception battalion. I still live out of those, except they're made of wood now.

Holy Crap!!!! I almost winced when I saw that.........:eek:

Wow what a blast from..... well, what a blast how's that?

And what the hell are those brown things on top of the lockers?

They look like boots but they couldn't be.

Boots are supposed to be black!!!!

Does that make me sound old? OL

Thanks

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 18:15

1-Basic/AIT, having to take all of them out of the bay and down (and back up twice)two flights because some dumbass got caught with fireworks.

2-Frankfurt FRG 3 years later-Our barracks being remodeled on Drake Kaserne, we had to move them to Edwards and up 4 flights for storage. Payback a few months later-Plt Sgt told us to go get them all-supply Sgt. interceps us-we don't need them any longer-get rid of them. --Sure--payback time! Amazing what happens to them when they fly 50' onto cobblestone. Priceless though later when the Plt Sgt ask where they are because we need them for extra gear--uh, you need to talk to Sgt. H.

1- WTF, fireworks?

2- awesome :D

warpigM-4
02-03-10, 18:26
ugghhh, I almost forgot about the green wool dust bunnies....

No doubt as soon as you clean the bay you would always find those damn green bunnies the next morning :eek:

mark5pt56
02-03-10, 18:27
1- WTF, fireworks?

2- awesome :D

Towards the end of AIT, we had a weekend pass and for some odd reason, he decided to sneak them back--almost had a killin!

SeriousStudent
02-03-10, 18:30
Luxury....... ;)

I had two wall lockers. One with the pretty "inspection gear" for the first sergeant, and the other stuffed full of deuce gear and contraband. ALICE gear, leftover pyro, C-4 for heating chow, spare barrels for the Pig....

Ah, good times. :D

FN in MT
02-03-10, 18:43
Back in December of 1968....we had wooden FOOTLOCKERS. This stuff is far to modern for me to relate to.

FN in MT

bkb0000
02-03-10, 18:43

WHO THE **** LEFT THEIR SANTA BAGS ON MY FLOOR?

our wall-lockers were veneered low-density particle board, and they ****in broke when they got tipped over. it didn't matter much, we never were allowed to lock them the entire cycle. "you can lock them when you can get them right." and apparently we never got them right.

dyegator
02-03-10, 18:45

I do believe that is Ft Sam Houston!

Outlander Systems
02-03-10, 18:45

BCT: The original progenitor of "That Guy"...

ThirdWatcher
02-03-10, 18:50
Back in December of 1968....we had wooden FOOTLOCKERS. This stuff is far to modern for me to relate to.

FN in MT

We had wooden lockers in the ROK in the early 1970's. When I was at Bragg in '75 we had steel wall lockers (one to a soldier) but they looked different from the ones in the picture. Ironically, the senior NCO's lamented the passing of "the brown boot Army".

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 18:53
BCT: The original progenitor of "That Guy"...

and of course the saying "Don't be that guy, guy" :D

m4fun
02-03-10, 18:56
Thats great - in Ft Lost in the Woods we had them too - we had rooms for 8 and stacked. I got busted sitting in mine writing a letter - should been busy reading our smart books!

Yep, the polished boots I never wore, the shined shoes I never wore, rolled underwear, socks and shirts...

bkb0000
02-03-10, 18:59
We had wooden lockers in the ROK in the early 1970's. When I was at Bragg in '75 we had steel wall lockers (one to a soldier) but they looked different from the ones in the picture. Ironically, the senior NCO's lamented the passing of "the brown boot Army".

by the time i enlisted in '00, i think the whole spit-shine thing had already gone the way of the dodo. our drill sergeants told us to wipe em down, brush in some polish over the whole boot, and call it done. should take no more than 5 minutes. any longer than that was just a waste of time better spent standing around at parade-rest, apparently.

catatonic
02-03-10, 19:21
Thats great - in Ft Lost in the Woods we had them too - we had rooms for 8 and stacked. I got busted sitting in mine writing a letter - should been busy reading our smart books!

Yep, the polished boots I never wore, the shined shoes I never wore, rolled underwear, socks and shirts...

Still had em in 07 and 08...
Although I was put on a detail and it seems like they're being done away with when I was on my way out.

91Bravo
02-03-10, 19:26
In 1969, at Fort Polk(South Fort), we buried a wall locker under our barracks to hide contraband, ie candy bars, cold medicine and civi clothes. I wonder if it's still there?

DragonDoc
02-03-10, 19:27
To this day, I still roll my T-Shirts.

ETA: I just need some green wool blankets, and some fatbody sprinkling foot-powder on my head to really get it right.

I thought I was the only one who still does that. Six inches for boxers and t-shirt.

SW-Shooter
02-03-10, 19:39
I remember using the good old dollar bill used for measurement. Making the bunk, and hours spent shining my boots and low quarters.

I remember long phone lines and marching to the DFC. I swear being in basic was heaven and hell. After we did two weeks in bivouac we sounded like a force to to reckoned with, you could always tell who just got back, they sounded loud as hell.

Thomas M-4
02-03-10, 19:51

our wall-lockers were veneered low-density particle board, and they ****in broke when they got tipped over. it didn't matter much, we never were allowed to lock them the entire cycle. "you can lock them when you can get them right." and apparently we never got them right.

Complete opposite if we left ours unsecured all contents were dumped in the middle of the bay all mixed in one pile. After the second time they were dumped into the shower with the water turned on.:(

DragonDoc
02-03-10, 19:53

FN in MT

Not that modern we had wooden wall lockers in our barracks back in '94 when I went to the Basic NCO Course. Six years later I was an instructor for the Basic NCO Course and we had to renovate the barracks. You should have seen 250 SGTs and SSGs throwing those heavy ass wooden wall lockers out the third floor windows. The metal ones were a little easier to get rid of. We could carry those out of the barracks but they tore up the tile as they were dragged out. I know for a fact that there are still wooden lockers still in service. The damn things just won't wear out kinda like a (insert your favorite tier one AR manufacturer here) rifle.

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 19:59
Complete opposite if we left ours unsecured all contents were dumped in the middle of the bay all mixed in one pile. After the second time they were dumped into the shower with the water turned on.:(

same.
If you had an unsecured wall locker your shit was literally flipped over :D

Heavy Metal
02-03-10, 20:16
Drill Sgts hate unsecured shit becasuse when the stuff goes missing, it becomes an extra headache for him.

When I was in Basic, the Puerto Ricans had stolen everything that wasn't nailed down. I think they did if for sheer entertainment because some of the shit they took was just dumb like beach towells. If you didn't secure your shit it was gone.

The Drill Sgts finally said if the stuff didn't mysteriously re-appear that night in the day room, they were going to rip the ceiling tiles down and tear everything apart.

Needless to say, everything re-appeared.

Outlander Systems
02-03-10, 20:46
Drill Sgts hate unsecured shit becasue when the stuff goes missing, it becomes an extra headache for him.

When I was in Basic, the Puerto Ricans had stolen everything that wasn't nailed down. I think they did if for sheer entertainment ecause some of the shit they took was just dumb. If you didn't secure your shit it was gone.

The Drill Sgts finally said if the stuff didn't mysteriously re-appear that night in the day room, they were going to rip the ceiling tiles down and tear everything apart.

Needless to say, everything re-appeared.

Ahhh...the 'ole ceiling tile trick. I swear the Drill Sergeants would put shit up there just to smoke us.

I think the most used line at BCT, by DSs was, "OH...MY...GOD..." followed by, "Front leaning "rest" position. Move."

Heavy Metal
02-03-10, 20:51
My fave DS line was: "Push until MY arms blow-up!"

BTW, my favorite revenge trick was to grab somebody's boots while me and my bud was on fire guard and fill them with shaving cream.

Funniest thing was three guys tried to pillow-attack me about ten minutes after lights-out one night.

That was the night halfway thru basic me and my bud had set upon to swap racks. He was on top and I was then on the bottom.

They got my buddy! LOL! Poor Smitty!

Another good place to hide stuff was under the caps on the four corners of the bunks. I hid the good cough-drops in them.

Outlander Systems
02-03-10, 20:52
"Back on the block"

Heavy Metal
02-03-10, 20:58
Fort Livingroom

My Buddy's Fiance was named 'Jody'.

"But Drill Sgt! Jody IS my girl!"

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 21:49
"If you are _______ , you are wrong"

Heavy Metal
02-03-10, 21:52
"You are a no-go at this station!"

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 22:03
Ill still never forget what was said after a guy fell off the 3 rope bridge on the eagle tower.
" My God, Ive never seen anyone fall off that in my life"

5 DS's proceeded to laugh hysterically after that.

Belmont31R
02-03-10, 22:09
I remember once we got new furniture, and there was a little piece of paper in each piece that said "Made by Prison Industries."

We had a crazy DS in AIT who's Jeep license plate read, "FTBKGO". :cool:

DragonDoc
02-03-10, 22:14
I remember once we got new furniture, and there was a little piece of paper in each piece that said "Made by Prison Industries."

We had a crazy DS in AIT who's Jeep license plate read, "FTBKGO". :cool:

CLASSIC!!!!

DragonDoc
02-03-10, 22:32
I remember using the good old dollar bill used for measurement. Making the bunk, and hours spent shining my boots and low quarters.

I remember long phone lines and marching to the DFC. I swear being in basic was heaven and hell. After we did two weeks in bivouac we sounded like a force to to reckoned with, you could always tell who just got back, they sounded loud as hell.

You went to Basic at Fort Bliss didn't you!?!?! They don't train like that anymore. I remember the two weeks in the desert too. I remember my drills telling us that we think we are sounding off and are motivated but we don't know sh*t yet. But we would after we returned from the field. Two weeks of hell in a pup tent. 2000 calories eaten a day and 3000 burned. I remember asking my buddies for bread crust because I was so hungry. Grass drills in TX fire ant piles at 0330 in the a.m. Hell I remember haalucinating that I was back home in FL enjoying a cross country run through a shady forest. I wandered off the road because I thought I was following a running trail back home. 65 at night and 125 during the day. Scorpions, rattlesnakes (5 diff. species), and tarantulas, man Basic was grand. I thought everyone did Basic like that until I got to Fort Sam and found out that everyone else (minus Ft. Benning) only did a few days in the field. They had buses to take them to the range and they didn't sleep in pup tents. Yeah Basic at Bliss was definitely Heaven and Hell. Beautiful sunsets out there in the field though. We loved the view so much we were inspired to sing the National Anthem at sunset most nights. I thought I would never see Bliss and El Paso again. Unfortunately, Uncle Sam decided I needed an eight year dose of the Sun City. Man your post brought back memories.

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 22:46
we had busses to get to some ranges at Benning, but not all.
the gas chamber was about a 20 minute bus ride to the middle of no where, and so was the land nav.
we rucked to the rifle ranges and all the obstacle courses tho.

our final FTX was 8 days I believe.

DragonDoc
02-03-10, 22:59
the gas chamber was about a 20 minute bus ride to the middle of no where, and so was the land nav.

Here is a look at Meyer range Complex at Fort Bliss. We spent our two weeks of BRM, Weapons, Grenades, and other field training here. No buses once we got here. Every movement was by foot. Hell we did even have private stall for the crappers. just two toilets and a couple of troughs.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mcgregor+range&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=32.02778,-106.150101&spn=0.002233,0.00331&t=h&z=18

Here is where I was for my first duty station after training was complete. No cars, no TV, no radio, no booze, no PX, and no women. Shoppette closed at 1700. Last bus to McGregor left Ft. Bliss at 2100 hrs. All this adds up to no fun the first two years in my unit.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mcgregor+range&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=32.076884,-106.179492&spn=0.004464,0.00662&t=h&z=17

11Bravo
02-03-10, 23:00
Buses?
BUSES!?!?!?
BUSES?!?!?!?
Cattle cars.
BUSES!?!?!?
Benning must have gone to hell.
New age wimps. :p
Back in the day, I tell ya, we didn't have no stinking buses.
Packing 220 guys into 3 cattle cars was an art.

Those wall lockers don't look anything like the ones we had.

bkb0000
02-03-10, 23:04
They had buses to take them to the range and they didn't sleep in pup tents.

we had semi's with cattle trailers to haul us to the really far away ranges, but Sand Hill backs up to all the Malone ranges at Benning, so we were generally march-jogging our asses out there.

and we were required to pack our shelter-halves, but never allowed to unroll them- we slept in our ponchos.

i remember seeing BCT guys on "pass"... we never got a single pass except family day (graduation from basic IET phase and beginning of Infantry AIT phase), and even that was on-post only and sure as shit wasn't overnight. the first time i ever got to wear civvies since August 30th, 2000 was the first day of Exodus, Christmas 2000. We did almost a month at the 30th AG, and didn't graduate from OSUT till January 16th. Very, very long cycle.

and then i'd hear BCT guys bitch about how hard basic is... pah.

one day, right after graduation while we were on hold-over for Airborne, we were sitting at the bus stop by the Sand Hill PX.. there were two benches, and some BCT kids were sitting on the other. two drill sergeants, without blue disks, walked by.. neither i nor my buddies stood up (i just figured the distance was too close to call), but the BCT kids all stood up and "good morning"ed 'em... one of the DSs responded to the privates, then looked back at us and said, "them must be Infantry privates, they didn't even stand up." and i turned to my buddy and said, "them must not be Infantry drill sergeants, they didn't even drop us!" and we STILL didnt get dropped! hah.

HES
02-03-10, 23:12
Man Id love to have some of those lockers simply so I could have a chance at my garage not looking like a disaster zone.

As for me, I still roll my underwear and socks, even my t-shirts and pants when I am traveling. Everyone of one us in the family has their own poncho liner. The kids love em. I still use a dollar bill for measuring.

Oh when I got to my unit for Basic in Harmony church (the last unit to go through) they had just cleaned out the barracks and I mean cleaned out. We had to assemble our beds and un-crate and assemble our wall lockers, with out any tools.

Back in '88 they still had the cattle cars and man how they packed us in. I'd have given my left nut to not be smashed in there and ride in a bus instead.

Yeah the gas chamber. Bastards got us good. Had us keep sounding off with our company motto, each time telling us we weren't loud enough. On the 4th or 5th chorus, yelling our asses off, they threw gas all over and ran with it on the end of sticks all around the formation. Its funny now.

Thomas M-4
02-03-10, 23:19
we had semi's with cattle trailers to haul us to the really far away ranges, but Sand Hill backs up to all the Malone ranges at Benning, so we were generally march-jogging our asses out there.

and we were required to pack our shelter-halves, but never allowed to unroll them- we slept in our ponchos.

i remember seeing BCT guys on "pass"... we never got a single pass except family day (graduation from basic IET phase and beginning of Infantry AIT phase), and even that was on-post only and sure as shit wasn't overnight. the first time i ever got to wear civvies since August 30th, 2000 was the first day of Exodus, Christmas 2000. We did almost a month at the 30th AG, and didn't graduate from OSUT till January 16th. Very, very long cycle.

and then i'd hear BCT guys bitch about how hard basic is... pah.

one day, right after graduation while we were on hold-over for Airborne, we were sitting at the bus stop by the Sand Hill PX.. there were two benches, and some BCT kids were sitting on the other. two drill sergeants, without blue disks, walked by.. neither i nor my buddies stood up (i just figured the distance was too close to call), but the BCT kids all stood up and "good morning"ed 'em... one of the DSs responded to the privates, then looked back at us and said, "them must be Infantry privates, they didn't even stand up." and i turned to my buddy and said, "them must not be Infantry drill sergeants, they didn't even drop us!" and we STILL didnt get dropped! hah.

All my DS had blue disk's all from the 82nd. One of them got an article for destruction of government property hew threw all the bunk mats in the showers and pulled out the phone receivers from the pay phones. Because the damn privates used the phones to much:rolleyes:

Never road the bus unless we had to go to the TMC or PX. Did get to ride in the semi cattle truck with a nutty DS that liked to drive under every low hanging tree branch he could find.

Belmont31R
02-03-10, 23:21
Everyone thinks their basic was the "toughest".

I went to Jackson....:cool:

Thomas M-4
02-03-10, 23:22
Everyone thinks their basic was the "toughest".

I went to Jackson....:cool:

Me TOO HAAHAA:D

bkb0000
02-03-10, 23:23
Yeah the gas chamber. Bastards got us good. Had us keep sounding off with our company motto, each time telling us we weren't loud enough. On the 4th or 5th chorus, yelling our asses off, they threw gas all over and ran with it on the end of sticks all around the formation. Its funny now.

we didn't get it nearly that bad, but i took some not-necessarily-so-great advice and got screwed.. somebody, i don't remember who, told me "they just want to make sure you're not holding your breath. so when you rip your mask off, make it obvious that you're breathing, and they'll let you out quick." when i got up at the head of the line, 3 privates wide, my favorite DS (least favorite) was standing at the head of my column... i tore my mask off, and sucked up the biggest breath you've ever seen. he screwed up his face at me like i was a damn fool and made me recite the Infantryman's Creed in full, with two lungs completely filled with gas.

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 23:26
we sometimes had 1 cattle car, but rarely.
I went during the summer rush and trans was always a cluster****.

catatonic
02-03-10, 23:30
we sometimes had 1 cattle car, but rarely.
I went during the summer rush and trans was always a cluster****.

I'd say the worst time was riding in the damn cattle car in Class A's on my way to family day :rolleyes:

ETA: This was the middle of the summer as well, at lost in the woods.

Belmont31R
02-03-10, 23:30

I went through there in July and August. I don't care how "tough" anywhere else is. Going through basic in the south during high summer is shitty no matter where you go.

I went June/July/August 2003.

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 23:31

I went through the gas chamber 3 times :mad:
the first time I dropped my helmet while removing the mask, and the DS kicked it to the center of the floor.

When we got shoved out me and the others who did the same thing got screamed at for losing our "head gear" and had to go back in to get it.
After the 2nd time they felt we didnt grasp the complete reality of how bad we ****ed up on the first try and had to go through again.

Belmont31R
02-03-10, 23:32
I went through the gas chamber 3 times :mad:
the first time I dropped my helmet while removing the mask, and the DS kicked it to the center of the floor.

When we got shoved out me and the others who did the same thing got screamed at for losing our "head gear" and had to go back in to get it.
After the 2nd time they felt we didnt grasp the complete reality of how bad we ****ed up and had to go through again.

I actually like the after taste but Im the type of person that puts black pepper on everything I eat, and love jalapenos & banana peppers just by themselves.

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 23:34
my sinuses didnt react to it much, but boy did my lungs hurt.

Thomas M-4
02-03-10, 23:40
I went through there in July and August. I don't care how "tough" anywhere else is. Going through basic in the south during high summer is shitty no matter where you go.

96' during the summer also
Did they still have victory punch and green gravy in 03 :p

Heat didn't bother me to much AL gets just has hot if not hotter.
It was ruff for the guys' that had never dealt with the heat and humidity.
Buddy was from North Dakota it was ruff for him.The Nats drove him nuts also he had never seen them before.

JBecker 72
02-03-10, 23:43
we had a kid from Alaska, he fell out of a lot of runs at first from the heat, but he got used to it.
GA didnt seem any worse to me than my home in VA.

Belmont31R
02-03-10, 23:46
96' during the summer also
Did they still have victory punch and green gravy in 03 :p

Heat didn't bother me to much AL gets just has hot if not hotter.
It was ruff for the guys' that had never dealt with the heat and humidity.
Buddy was from North Dakota it was ruff for him.The Nats drove him nuts also he had never seen them before.

We had some kind of punch. Don't remember anything about any gravy.

I was from SoCal so the heat didn't bother me. It was the humidity that sucked. Remember the chiggers and ants all over the place. I definitely learned the value of water right off the bat + seeing people get carted off for heat injuries at least 2-3 a week.

Overall I thought it was pretty good training. We had cattle cars and buses but used them rarely. Did lots of 10 mile + ruck marches. Two of my DS's were Ranger tabbed w/ both serving in BN previously. We learned a lot rather than just getting screamed at constantly. Our FTX's were fun with those two guys leading raiding parties on the other platoons.

There was another DS from a different platoon who got removed from the cycle for some comment he made to a female during her period. Something about tampons going somewhere....:D

SW-Shooter
02-03-10, 23:53
Little trivia bit, Fort Bliss U.S. Army basic training was well known as the toughest boot TRADOC had. The White Elephant took some getting used to, birds shitting where you eat. Every range was miles apart, and you literally spent hours going from range to range, range walking no less. I doubt USMC had it any tougher than we did, I can only tell you it was hell being there for 2weeks. You cannot grasp how large the McGregor/Myer Range complex is unless you've seen it from above.

Here is a look at Meyer range Complex at Fort Bliss. We spent our two weeks of BRM, Weapons, Grenades, and other field training here. No buses once we got here. Every movement was by foot. Hell we did even have private stall for the crappers. just two toilets and a couple of troughs.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mcgregor+range&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=32.02778,-106.150101&spn=0.002233,0.00331&t=h&z=18

Here is where I was for my first duty station after training was complete. No cars, no TV, no radio, no booze, no PX, and no women. Shoppette closed at 1700. Last bus to McGregor left Ft. Bliss at 2100 hrs. All this adds up to no fun the first two years in my unit.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mcgregor+range&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=32.076884,-106.179492&spn=0.004464,0.00662&t=h&z=17

Pathfinder Ops
02-04-10, 05:30

BUSES!!??

When I went to boot at Benning (Harmony Church) they packed our asses into cattle cars like freakin sardines shut the doors and drove to the ranges via Atlanta.

Ha!

Gombey
02-04-10, 05:57
This thread made me excited and nervous at the same time LOL!!! Well, come July I'm sure I'll have something to add :D

Outlander Systems
02-04-10, 06:56

Me three. "Reeeelaxin' Jackson"...

Still had Victory Punch in '99...

DragonDoc
02-04-10, 06:57

Sounds like you have never been to El Paso during the summer. I grew up in Florida and did plenty of athletics during the summer. S.E. heat doesn't begin to match the heat in the high desert. I never worried about water conservation and use in FL. Only a fool waste his water in the high deserts of Ft. Bliss, El Paso.

DragonDoc
02-04-10, 06:59
Little trivia bit, Fort Bliss U.S. Army basic training was well known as the toughest boot TRADOC had. The White Elephant took some getting used to, birds shitting where you eat. Every range was miles apart, and you literally spent hours going from range to range, range walking no less. I doubt USMC had it any tougher than we did, I can only tell you it was hell being there for 2weeks. You cannot grasp how large the McGregor/Myer Range complex is unless you've seen it from above.

Amen Brother!!! The good news is when you graduated basic you were definitely harder than your peers do to the harshness of your training.

HES
02-04-10, 07:23
Harmony Church
Hail fellow, well met. Yeah the Sand Hill guys had it so much easier in their "starships" :D

Outlander Systems
02-04-10, 07:44
Hail fellow, well met. Yeah the Sand Hill guys had it so much easier in their "starships" :D

Starship barracks are ****in' luxurious. You could've driven two semis through our bay. Plus, with the added space, the DSs could have more creativity with smoke sessions. "Who wants a "light" coat of sweat"?

Eddiesketti
02-04-10, 08:06
Yeah, those are great! Had those in Basic, AIT, and Korea. This one National Guard guy in Basic sat in his locker...closed it...and cried all the time.

HES
02-04-10, 16:21
Starship barracks are ****in' luxurious. You could've driven two semis through our bay. Plus, with the added space, the DSs could have more creativity with smoke sessions. "Who wants a "light" coat of sweat"?
No shit. During Basic, we pulled a "guard and detail" day at one of the Starships and we lost our minds at how good they had it.

Heartland Hawk
02-04-10, 16:52
1999? 2002? Shit that makes me feel old I went thru BMT in July- Aug '84. Man was it hot.

GAST
02-04-10, 18:53
*snif* Those lockers were home sweet home...

Thomas M-4
02-04-10, 18:57
*snif* Those lockers were home sweet home...

You could sleep in them if you got tired enough:eek:

Belmont31R
02-04-10, 18:59
Sounds like you have never been to El Paso during the summer. I grew up in Florida and did plenty of athletics during the summer. S.E. heat doesn't begin to match the heat in the high desert. I never worried about water conservation and use in FL. Only a fool waste his water in the high deserts of Ft. Bliss, El Paso.

I know all about the desert heat.

Humidity is what I hate. Id rather deal with hotter dry heat (110+) than moist 100 degree temps.

11Bravo
02-04-10, 19:42
Those starships were not all they're cracked up to be.
A buddy went to basic at Harmony Church and AIT on Sand Hill.
His story is that they were held to a much higher standard of cleaning the barracks at Sand Hill.
And (this is gonna sound really bad) the building I was in in AIT C/2-58 the air conditioning had two settings.
Off and Arctic.
I really think I would have preferred little to no AC.
FROZE at night and then had to go out in the heat and humidity for training.

Atg336
02-04-10, 20:53
Me three. "Reeeelaxin' Jackson"...

Still had Victory Punch in '99...

Me four.
Summer of '98 - still remember our crazy little Irish DS. And the thousands of Fire Ants that bit me up during morning PT, after which I was rushed to the TMC because I had an allergic reaction and swelled up like a balloon. I actually saw myself swell up in the mirror of my locker.
Once I was fixed up (same day) I went to the grenade course and got my expert badge.

QuietShootr
02-04-10, 21:25

Horseshit.

bkb0000
02-04-10, 21:26
His story is that they were held to a much higher standard of cleaning the barracks at Sand Hill.
And (this is gonna sound really bad) the building I was in in AIT C/2-58 the air conditioning had two settings.
Off and Arctic.

we didn't have A/C at the 2/54ITB on Sand Hill... we did have heat, but we had TWO broken windows that didn't get fixed until after graduation. we started in the middle of september and graduated in the january... hell and hell frozen over. it wasn't THAT bad, but it was generally uncomfortable.

the other thing about the giant bays- cleaning standards were, as you say, much higher- most had "kill zones"- you had 3 tiles from the end of your bunk to a line painted into the floor.. the kill zone was something like 30'x70' of space where nobody but NCOs are allowed to tread and it's expected to be polished to a mirror finish daily. out of all the bays i ever ventured into during OSUT, ours was the ONLY ONE i know of that DIDNT have a kill-zone... but we did eventually get one about three weeks before graduation. i helped paint the line myself.

QuietShootr
02-04-10, 21:27
Off and Arctic.

And there you have it. It was a lot bigger deal when the DSs would bring a hundred pounds of sawdust up from the pit and COVER the bay in it. Those clean-ass floors were never clean enough.

QuietShootr
02-04-10, 21:29
we didn't have A/C at the 2/54ITB on Sand Hill... we did have heat, but we had TWO broken windows that didn't get fixed until after graduation. we started in the middle of september and graduated in the january... hell and hell frozen over. it wasn't THAT bad, but it was generally uncomfortable.

the other thing about the giant bays- cleaning standards were, as you say, much higher- most had "kill zones"- you had 3 tiles from the end of your bunk to a line painted into the floor.. the kill zone was something like 30'x70' of space where nobody but NCOs are allowed to tread and it's expected to be polished to a mirror finish daily. out of all the bays i ever ventured into during OSUT, ours was the ONLY ONE i know of that DIDNT have a kill-zone... but we did eventually get one about three weeks before graduation. i helped paint the line myself.

I'm a 2/54 myself - Charlie. Started in March, finished in June. Which dumb-ass thought it would be a good idea to put our field jackets on at 0530 knowing if we did, we'd have to wear them all day?

QuietShootr
02-04-10, 21:30

Dude, we must have been there about the same time.

11Bravo
02-04-10, 23:44
2/54. HA!!!
After our FTX but before graduation we were sitting on the bleachers outside the company area cleaning TA-50 and cattle cars started leaving 2/54 (I think that was the battalion across the street).
One of them had left the brakes on and they started burning very quickly.
Took out an air line so the doors on the cattle car wouldn't open, at least the side ones.
The basic guys in the trailer had in the last week been to the gas chambers.
As the thing filled with smoke they thought they were being gassed right there on Sand Hill.
Remember those little windows in the cattle cars?
They actually managed to get most of themselves out through those windows.
We all took off over to help and ended up laughing ourselves about to the pissing point.
About 10 years later, I was talking to a coworker of a former college roommate of mine.
He mentioned he'd been at 2/54 and I told the story.
Turns out he was one of the guys that got extruded through one of the windows and fell the 6 to 7 feet to the hardball.
I got the laughs all over again.

HES
02-05-10, 08:06
And there you have it. It was a lot bigger deal when the DSs would bring a hundred pounds of sawdust up from the pit and COVER the bay in it. Those clean-ass floors were never clean enough.
Saw Dust? Saw Dust? See what I mean about having it easy. We had gravel PT pits. ;) Yeah I guess having to clean would be a PITA, but I have to wonder which was the better trade off, having to clean or baking / freezing your ass off at night?

JBecker 72
02-05-10, 10:28

I was bravo 2/19 on sand hill.
our ac was non existent in our barracks, we were on the top floor.
the 2nd floor was better, but still not great, and the day room was like a fridge.

I never went into all the other platoon barracks out of fear of being "fragged out" by a bunch of practically naked dudes, but Im pretty sure only 1 platoon had a kill zone.

sandman99and9
02-05-10, 16:00
I was bravo 2/19 on sand hill.
our ac was non existent in our barracks, we were on the top floor.
the 2nd floor was better, but still not great, and the day room was like a fridge.

I never went into all the other platoon barracks out of fear of being "fragged out" by a bunch of practically naked dudes, but Im pretty sure only 1 platoon had a kill zone.

1994 4th plt. charlie co 1/38th at sand hill here. Hated cleaning those ****ing starships !! We had the cattle trucks where I learned to catch a few z's while crushed in there standing up..lol Also learned that if you positioned yourself propererly you could sleep in that wall locker on sunday barracks field day.

Had a Drill sgt. named Tripp from another platoon name me mickey mouse cuz I was from orlando so anywhere he would spot me he would yell out "where you at mickey ? " I would just hit the deck and start pushing while singing the mickey mouse club song. For some reason he was my favorite Drill sgt in the company.

Almost forgot, we had the Drill sgt. school up the road from us and they ate in our chow hall almost everyday :eek: That sucked balls big time !!

S.M.

warpigM-4
02-06-10, 03:42
You could sleep in them if you got tired enough:eek:

we use to sleep behind them as your Battle would keep a look out ,then swap up

E98T
02-06-10, 04:26
A 4-2 at Harmony Church in Feb 85. Nothing but cattle cars when we didn't have time to roadmarch there. Those were the days! Man I am old!

DragonDoc
02-06-10, 16:29

The way I see it you all had it easy unless you went to Mr. Benning's school for wayward boys or Mr. Bliss' Resort for sun worshippers.

HES
02-06-10, 16:33
The way I see it you all had it easy unless you went to Mr. Benning's school for wayward boys or Mr. Bliss' Resort for sun worshippers.
Harmony Church and Sand Hill are both part of Mr. Benning's school. But ya know what really sucked, graduating with visions of Germany dancing though my head only to be told that I was getting shipped down the road to the Ranger punishment Brigade, AKA Dick in a Vice :(

DragonDoc
02-06-10, 16:47
Harmony Church and Sand Hill are both part of Mr. Benning's school. But ya know what really sucked, graduating with visions of Germany dancing though my head only to be told that I was getting shipped down the road to the Ranger punishment Brigade, AKA Dick in a Vice :(

Hey RTB should be a dream job unless you are an 11 series. I had a chance to to 7th RTB but I passed. I should have taken the job. 7th deactivated and I could have gone to the 6th in FL. That was my one shot at getting back to my home state.

Does Benning have new barracks? I was at Knox outprocessing in '06 and they were nearly done with the brand spankin' new training barracks and facilities.

HES
02-07-10, 09:56
Hey RTB should be a dream job unless you are an 11 series. I had a chance to to 7th RTB but I passed. I should have taken the job. 7th deactivated and I could have gone to the 6th in FL. That was my one shot at getting back to my home state.

Does Benning have new barracks? I was at Knox outprocessing in '06 and they were nearly done with the brand spankin' new training barracks and facilities.
Oh mind you I said Ranger PUNISHMENT Brigade (AKA the 197th IBDE (m)(s)), not the RTB. :D Oh yeah on Kelly Hill they have the new Barracks, but they never took down the old ones. They are still standing with their windows broken out probably by a bunch of drunk Joe's who were bored. :D

LRRP-87
02-07-10, 10:45
How could I forget those ****ing things! Zero week at jump school a group of us had to move a shitload of them from the top floor of one of the barracks into the second floor of another barracks. Talk about dusted knuckles making the corners in the narrow stairwells; it sucked to say the least.:D

Also went through basic at Harmony church back in 86', and Sand Hill in 87' (split option training) then on to jump school; all in June, July, & August. We had AC at the Hilton, but it never got turned on; drill sergants said we'd get respitory infections from the cold air. Those old WW2 barracks at The Church are gone now from what I'm told; always thought it was cool bunking in the same barracks as those from WW2 on through Vietnam. A lot of history there. In basic & AIT it seemed like every outer broom/mop closet had "EDDIE" painted on it in the trooper scene.
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/1355/eddietrooper.png (http://img168.imageshack.us/i/eddietrooper.png/)

I drew a picture of Charlie Company's mascot Geronimo(a german shepard who supposedly had made a jump before; I don't believe), the picture stayed under the glass at the main desk at Charlie Co. until I graduated anyway.

warpigM-4
02-07-10, 11:40

I was a Knox in 06 in 19 kilo(M1 Abrams crewman) training with the 2/81 A co 1st PLT Warpigs it was brand new Barracks on our side and they where just finishing all the 19 delta (scouts) only thing that was still old was our DEFAC and you have not Been to hell until you climb the 3 sisters Loaded with full Battle rattle and ruck,there was a Drill Sgt in another company that had a heart attack on Heart breaker That hill lived up to it's Name

Pathfinder Ops
02-07-10, 18:10
Horseshit.

LOL Obviously a Sandhill grad.

HES
02-07-10, 19:33
LOL Obviously a Sandhill grad.
LMAO. Pity them, for the saw dust was rough on their manicures :p

Outlander Systems
02-08-10, 11:02
Don't hate.

Now it looks like the world's biggest ammo can:

http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/1700/89794154.jpg

kjdoski
02-08-10, 17:10
That really takes me back - all to way to times I'd rather forget!

Regards,

Kevin

Outlander Systems
02-10-10, 09:33
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/3964/organisationy.jpg