PDA

View Full Version : Go Army

CDDM416
02-03-10, 17:16
My son is heading to Benning GA on the 10th. He lives in MO, and Im in NC. so the info I get is over the phone so Im sure Ill miss some info.
His MOS is 18x, he is doing OSUT and jump school there for 13 weeks, then heads to Bragg for SOPC(?), and SFAS(?). I am not too sure I understand it all. I was AF.
But anyway. I would like to get him some goodies when he graduates.
I dont want to waste money on something he wont be able to use. Thats where you guys come in. I need some ideas.

Im thinking, a knife, watch, or eye wear. So please help me out with styles,brands.

sabretom
02-03-10, 17:37
SOPC=Special Ops Prep Course (attrition tool)

SFAS-Special Forces Asses and Select (ASS KICKER)

All the luck, you should be proud.

mauser8mm
02-03-10, 17:45
KABAR

JHC
02-03-10, 17:51
One of high end SOG multi-tools would be pretty sweet.

The Gerber LMF knive is a reasonable all purpose combat knife that is economical and highly rated.
http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/139

GO ARMY!!!

CDDM416
02-03-10, 18:06
Thanks, Im Very proud. :D

The LMF knife looks pretty good.

Pathfinder Ops
02-03-10, 18:17
KABAR

DAMNED RIGHT!

Yes there are newer and higher speed but the cool factor and tradition will be what's important.

Let him buy his own knife when he's ready and knows what he wants.

For know get him his own KBAR and let the tradition be the gift.

Hell I still carry mine after more than 20 years that knife still serves me. You'll get it and my 1911 from my cold dead hands only.

warpigM-4
02-03-10, 18:20
Outstanding!! I went to OSUT at FT Knox .Thanks him for his service for Me and you I know are a Proud Dad:) GO ARMY!!!

parishioner
02-03-10, 18:49
May I ask how old your son is?

BTW, congrats! Im sure you're proud.

CDDM416
02-03-10, 18:58
jman: He is 26, why do you ask?

Irish
02-03-10, 19:34
I'd recommend a letter and some photos to go along with whatever you send, one a week would even be cooler. Nothing beats getting upbeat, positive mail while you're away from your family and under alot of stress & pressure. It helps knowing they're at home thinking of you and supporting you.

DragonDoc
02-03-10, 20:05
My son is heading to Benning GA on the 10th. He lives in MO, and Im in NC. so the info I get is over the phone so Im sure Ill miss some info.
His MOS is 18x, he is doing OSUT and jump school there for 13 weeks, then heads to Bragg for SOPC(?), and SFAS(?). I am not too sure I understand it all. I was AF.
But anyway. I would like to get him some goodies when he graduates.
I dont want to waste money on something he wont be able to use. Thats where you guys come in. I need some ideas.

Im thinking, a knife, watch, or eye wear. So please help me out with styles,brands.

Get him a Noveske AR and a good sidearm. Then get him a gift certificate for a quality advanced carbine and pistol classes. If/when he makes it through his training, he will become a quiet professional. But even professionals need additional training.

Now if you want to get him a good knife then Blackhawk, Benchmade, and Gerber make good blades. I carried a Benchmade and a Gerber ASEK survival knife.

For watches, I have used Timex Triathlon or Expeditions for the last 23 years. I like them because they are rugged, have multiple time zones, and multiple alarms.

Here is a link to a site that provides info on acceptable gear.
https://safety.army.mil/knowledge_online/december2008/ArmyReleasesApprovedGearLogo/tabid/1049/Default.aspx

parishioner
02-03-10, 21:18
jman: He is 26, why do you ask?

Curiosity. Im most likely going to join once I get out of college and that MOS interests me. Just gauging things.

HES
02-03-10, 23:01
I'd recommend a letter and some photos to go along with whatever you send, one a week would even be cooler. Nothing beats getting upbeat, positive mail while you're away from your family and under alot of stress & pressure. It helps knowing they're at home thinking of you and supporting you.+1

I guess I am out of the loop, but you can enlist these days straight into an 18 series MOS?

Combat_Diver
02-04-10, 00:47
Yes, at times you can enlist straight off the streets into SF. The 18X program has been going on for about 10 years now. Back in the early 80s you could do the same but it was just called a SF contract (that's how I came in, then did 24 yrs in SF). SF gradutates recieve a Chris Reeve Green Beret knife, along with his Beret.

CDDM416,
My parents were Air Force too. Concur on the mail and would send him some good wool socks. He's going to do alot of rucking. His most important item to him at that time will be his feet. Anything you can send to keep them up will be appreciated. Did I mention he's going to do some rucking? My last assignment was at Camp MacKall but I taught the final phase known as Robin Sage (Unconvential Warfare exercise, ie Guerilla tactics). Give support to your son as he has many long hard days and nights ahead of him for the next few years and be a proud father (yes, its a long road). I wish him the best.

CD

DragonDoc
02-04-10, 07:12
+1

I guess I am out of the loop, but you can enlist these days straight into an 18 series MOS?

Yes you can. It is probablly easier to train someone how doesn't have conventional army taint on them.

CDDM416
02-04-10, 09:35
I want to thank everyone for the kind words.
As far as the rucking, He has been doing Iron Mans for about two years, he also has been a Firefighter/EMT for about 5 years. He believes he should do pretty good, I told him just keep your mouth shut, and do as told.

Doc: I spoke with him last night, the first thim I said was, I wanted an adress.