PDA

View Full Version : HK45 LEM conversion

newyork
02-03-10, 19:41
I asked this on TOS and wanted to ask here too.
I was decocking my HK45 during rapid fire strings and also beating up my thumb. I called HK and ordered the LEM conversion kit to get the safety/decocker out of the equation and still have a 5.5lb trigger pull.
I went to the range right after I ordered and figured out my grip after talking to an HK lover. No more decocking or bruised thumb. I called and tried to cancel but it was too late. Its now on its way.
Should I sell the conversion or put it in? Is it easy to install. How is the 5.5lb pull compared to the SA trigger pull. Is it a big improvement without the safety lever? I love this gun either way and can't get to a HK with light LEM to try.

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-03-10, 19:46
I like the C&L version. My buddy Shane much prefers the LEM version. I really don't think you can go wrong.

ToddG
02-04-10, 10:19
How did the "HK lover" tell you to hold the gun so that you wouldn't decock during those rapid fire strings?

newyork
02-04-10, 10:51
very similar to a 1911 (strong thumb over safety, support thumb under safety against frame, both thumbs toward target except: leave strong side thumb relaxed and just to the left of safety instead of on top of it, resting on top of support hand.

ToddG
02-04-10, 10:55
I'd strongly recommend against using that grip if you think you may ever need to use the gun under stress.

The benefit of riding the safety lever is that your normal (habituated) grip will more or less automatically include disengaging the safety. You never need to worry about forgetting the safety or accidentally engaging it under stress or by accident. Your thumb should be on top of a thumb safety every single moment the gun is in your hand except when you're pushing it up to engage the safety. At ready, thumb is atop the safety lever. Searching, thumb is atop the lever. Drawing, thumb is atop the safety. Etc.

The change you've made will allow the gun to work fine at the range. If that's all you're planning to do with this gun, no harm no foul.

newyork
02-04-10, 11:12
Having learned this from you Todd tells me what I'll have to do. Riding my thumb over the safety kills my strong hand thumb. The rear of the lever digs into my knuckle that connects my thumb to my palm. Maybe because I have small hands and its a reach.
Having said that, I will be installing the LEM and get the safety lever out of there all together.
Thanks Todd,
Rich

loupav
02-04-10, 12:48
I was taught that grip when I went to Front Sight about 5 years ago. To keep the thumbs off the frame and relaxed out of the way. "Because the thumbs may actually work against you."

This grip has worked well for me and throughout the years I've never had a problem either accidentally decocking or engaging the safety while firing. And this is with both a USP V1 and the HK45. I have very little experience with 1911's.

ToddG
02-05-10, 07:28
newyork -- Are you using the smallest backstrap?

newyork
02-05-10, 08:03
Yes, I'm using the small backstrap

ToddG
02-05-10, 09:39
Without seeing your grip, it's hard to diagnose over the 'net. But from what you're describing, it sounds like you may be reaching too far around the left side of the gun with your grip.

newyork
02-05-10, 09:47
Todd, I realized that to get my thumb over the safety, it's the back of the frame that wears against my thumb knuckle. If I put my thumb under the safety, this doesn't happen. With the LEM I'm thinking I will no longer decock accidentally or beat up my thumb.

ToddG
02-05-10, 10:04
Switching to LEM will definitely solve the problem. But it's probably worth exploring more to see if changing your grip in a more safety-friendly way would also solve it, just in the event you choose to shoot a similarly equipped pistol in the future.

8weak1sauce8
02-05-10, 10:44
I know I'm asking for to much, but pics would be good to see what grip works well for others.

bryanr
02-05-10, 11:35
Full size HK45 or compact?

Bryanr

newyork
02-05-10, 12:08
Fullsize

one
02-06-10, 01:01
I don't want to intrude too much here but a couple weeks ago I ordered non decocking detent plates from HK for the "USP" full size. 5+6 plate I believe. While the USP plate is larger than the HK45 plate they assured me that it would be no problem to fit it with a dremel to the pistol.

Two weeks later I haven't even gotten around to taking it out of the fex ex package to see what it looks like.

At the time I ordered they were unclear as to when they'd have the actual HK45 5+6 plates in. It would either be this month or April as far as they knew.

That plate alone will end all your decocking problems and is the simplest thing on the planet to install.

Just thought it might help you out. Worth a phone call.

newyork
02-06-10, 09:25
One, I'll wait for the actual detent made for the HK45 rather than the USP45 one. I don't know why they would feel the need to make one designated for the HK45 if the USP one was fine. I don't want to dremel anything. The LEM kit never showed yesterday. I think I may work more with my grip before I make any mods anyway. I want to find a grip where I can put my thumb over the safety without reaching too far resulting in a bruised thumb knuclke and without pushing down resulting in decocking.
Shit...I need some ammo.:D

one
02-06-10, 10:46
Well it's actually not the same specific detent plate. The USP one is larger and needs some material removed. I just didn't want to wait for the HK45 specific ones to arrive in stock.

What's price running on the LEM kits for the HK45?

newyork
02-06-10, 10:58
HKParts.net has them for $98 plus shipping and HK has them for $87 plus shipping but after shipping it comes to around $105

calvin118
02-06-10, 18:34
I had an issue with my thumb getting hit and bruised by the HK45 safety the first couple times I shot it. Initially, I was trying very hard to match my hand up to the ergonomic grooves of the pistol. The problem went away immediately when I started pushing the web of my hand as far up into the groove as possible and then grasping naturally with my fingers. My strong thumb rests directly on top of the safety, with my support hand up against the frame with its thumb pointed forward. I shoot it very well (for me). I'll try to post some pics tomorrow for those who have requested them.

My biggest complaint is the lack of a large backstrap, which really helps me on the p30. Maybe I should see if I can find a hogue grip that fits it. I never accidentally decock the pistol with my normal grip, but I can induce this error with alternate grips so I understand where some people are coming from.

newyork
02-08-10, 18:00
I installed the LEM tonight and have dry fired it only. I will be shooting it later this week. The reset feels awesome. The reach to the trigger is my only gripe but the trigger pull feels very light and nice. I used the original trigger spring. I 1st put in the original Mainspring but thought I heard somewhere this might cause light hammer strikes so I put the LEM one in. The pull is supposed to be 5.5lbs and felt like less with the original mainspring.
It was a bitch to install but now that I've done it, it would be a piece of cake to do it again.
Am I wrong about the mainspring? I'll put the original in if there's no reliability trouble.

HKUSP.40
02-13-10, 14:19
I have an HK USP .40 w/ the LEM trigger installed and absolutely love it. It comes with a bobbed hammer and removes the decocking lever/safety so it gives the gun a slightly more compact/clean look. There are 3-4 versions of the LEM trigger (light, medium, and heavy). It all depends on what springs from the kit you install to get which version you want.

Light: Install the kit but leave the factory Trigger Return Spring (TRS) and Firing Pin Block Spring (FPBS) and don't install the new TRS and FPBS that comes with the kit. This will = a 5lb pull.

Medium: Install the kit including the new FPBS but leave the factory TRS. This will = a 6lb pull.

Heavy: Install the kit including the new TRS but leave the factory FPBS. This will = a 7lb pull.

X-tra Heavy: Install the kit including both the new TRS and new FPBS. This will = an 8lb pull.