PDA

View Full Version : ACOG TA31RMR. Does this replace the TA31DOC???

Rohardi
02-03-10, 20:24
Hi I just had a few questions about the TA31RMR. Does this replace the TA31DOC? I know the TA31RMR uses the RMR red dot made by Trijicon instead of the Doctor red dot. How long had the TA31RMR been out and where is a good source to get one. I can't seem to find much info on it and cant seem to find it for sale.

Rohardi
02-04-10, 17:48
Does anyone have any info on this???

JSantoro
02-04-10, 21:39
Yeah, it's the same configuration, same concept, just a different mini-RDS. I'm not sure at this point whether or not Trijicon is going to the RMR exclusively or not, but that's stuck in my head for some reason. I think the rest may be going away for good, but don't quote me on that. Need to check my notes at work.

They may be in somewhat short supply for a while, as Trijicon will be behind in commercial availability while they build them for the Marine Corps' SDO.

Rohardi
02-04-10, 21:41
Thanks for the info. I cant seem to find much info on the RMR version... Just don't know if its new and thats why I cant find much info...

JSantoro
02-05-10, 11:01
Talked to one of the gents @ their Mil/LE division. They will no longer be carrying the Doc, and no longer make the Red Dot in lieu of going to the RMR, so yes, the RMR combo configuration is the replacement for the TA31/Doc variant.

I specifically asked about commercial availability RE: the SDO build-up, and his opinion was that there should be no impact, but reminded me that that configuration is not their go-to $$$ maker on the ACOG line for commercial sale. Ergo, not finding one immediately isn't out of the ordinary. Trijicon lead times on those models are currently @ 8-10 weeks, with the model you cited reading as "call for details," which is a polite way of saying "don't make any f-ing plans."

If you can find one for a price you like, jump on it immediately, or school your mind to stillness as you wait.

Rohardi
02-05-10, 11:15
Thank you very much for the info!

Rohardi
02-05-10, 11:20
worst case senerio I could just buy a TA31, Doctor or RMR, and a mount and put it together that way... Right???

JSantoro
02-05-10, 12:42
Looks to be 4 available variants of that configuration, the bottom 3 and one nestled in the middle of the "4x Models" list: http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/parts_new.cfm?categoryID=3

Otherwise, yes, you should be able to choose the ACOG reticle variant you prefer, and there's ways to mount a mini-RDS of your choice as an accessory. I don't have much to offer in that regard, since I'm not keen on that arrangement and don't have much time spent around them, but it's definitely a possibility. ETA, possible option: http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/products1.cfm?PartID=722&back_row=2&categoryID=13
There are also mounts for lower-mag ACOG models.

Hopefully some other gents who've built something like that will chime in.

armakraut
02-05-10, 14:05
I wouldn't spring for the RMR on top. Keep both eyes open and ignore the magnification, or if that is too distracting install a lens cap and use it as an OEG.

Rohardi
02-05-10, 14:11
Sadly, am one of the 4% of the population that cant shoot with the lens cap closed. I have eye dominance issues so I need the red do for anything close up

Kchen986
02-05-10, 14:21
As a future project, I might replace the Docter on my ACOG with a RMR. Make the whole rig waterproof...

YutYut
02-05-10, 22:41
I spoke to the LE rep at Shot about the RMR. It comes down to training to get used to it. He showed me a sideways shooting technique that brings the RMR to eye level in close quarters. Other than that it's slight rise up from your cheekweld.

You also have the height over the bore to contend with. With the RMR being on top of the ACOG.

There's two versions of the RMR, a battery version and a Tritium. From what a I remember the battery version is always on. They are supposed to be more rugged than the Doctor sights.

I may get one eventually.