PDA

View Full Version : Low Pro Gas Block help...

Ak44
02-03-10, 20:46
I'm in the middle of a build and need some help. I bought a Noveske 10.5 light upper and a Knights Armament low pro gas block. After getting the front sight post off and removing the gas tube. I tried sliding on the KAC gas block but it wouldn't get past an inch on the barrel. Does the Noveske barrel have a thicker contour than the regular Ar15 barrels? I really don't want to scrap this build because this gas block won't fit...

Belmont31R
02-03-10, 20:56
I'd try coating the barrel in some thin oil, and then using a rubber mallet with some light taps to see if it will budge. IIRC someone from KAC said they are supposed to be press fit on, and why they only need set screws...(someone was asking why the SR15 gas block is not pinned).

If it wont budge with some easy taps you'll probably end up marring the barrel.

Maybe try a LaRue gas block? I like them because they will cover both the cut outs for the FSB pins, and they can also be pinned themselves if you are worried about it moving.

Todd.K
02-04-10, 13:15
The barrel is standard sized at the front sight.

What rail are you going to use? Any reason you don't just shave the front sight down?

Ak44
02-04-10, 16:53
I'm gonna be using the DD Mk18 rail. I'll try taking a rubber mallet to it, I'm glad to know the barrel is no different in contour at the gas block area.

ZeroDistortionNow
02-04-10, 18:23
put the gas block in the oven for about 20 min at 300 deg. F and put the barrel in the freezer. take the gas block out of the oven and take the barrel out of the freezer and using a glove or oven mit, let the gas block slide on as far as it will go without the mallet and then tap it into position the rest of the way

Ak44
02-09-10, 21:45
Alrighty, just put the barrel in the vise, took a block of wood to the gas block and banged it with a hammer. Slipped on like it was nothing haha. Now how can I tell that I have properly aligned the Gas port holes on the block and tube to the barrel? Is there a sure fire way of telling I aligned it correctly?