PDA

View Full Version : Please help me choose what's next.

SW-Shooter
02-04-10, 03:37
I've saved funds to make a small purchase. I'm playing with $1500.00 or less, not a lot of coin, but enough to make a small purchase. I have 2 5.56 AR's, and 4 pistols. 2X.45's, .40, .357sig. No less than 1K ammo for each gun. ETA: I am setting aside almost twice that amount in cash.

2-AR15 - M4 style rifle

1 SIG 556 pistol + $200.00 tax stamp (SBR)

1 AR, 1 Glock 19

1 COLT, BCM, or DD AR15

1 Bolt action + scope

Semi auto shotgun, Benelli M1, FN

Which would you do if you were me? I own a 5.56 can, should I get a .45 can, or 9mm + 9mm can?

LA Sig
02-04-10, 03:41
I'd get a shotgun, ammo, skeet thrower and clay pigeons. Go out and practice for bird season! Seems like you already have all the other bases covered. Good luck.

glen
02-04-10, 04:12
I would get something I don't have yet....so shotgun or bolt action it would be from your list.

Personally though I feel I have a lot of room for improvement in my shooting so if I had $1500 of discretionary funds I would also consider a carbine or pistol class and/or practice ammo.

woodandsteel
02-04-10, 04:57
Since we are talking about your money. And since I have no money, and I might be able to live vicarously through you. May I humbly suggest using that money as a down payment on a Mk12 clone build.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/SPR-Mk-12-Upper-Receiver-Half-Groups-s/131.htm

I'm only suggesting this because I want one.

Macx
02-04-10, 05:02
If I had that cash, assuming my collection was where yours is
http://cz-usa.com/assets/product-images/340/main340__png_800x500_q85.png
CZ 550 in the variant I'd want (pictured) has a MSRP of $966. Nikon Monarch 3-12x42 for about $410. Leaves $124 for rings.

SW-Shooter
02-04-10, 05:09
Great choices, thanks and keep 'em coming.

rjacobs
02-04-10, 05:57
I agree with everybody else of getting something you dont already have.

Snipercentral.com has a pretty decent package of a custom built bolt gun using a Rem 700 or Howa action. I think the Howa based gun is $975 and the Rem 700 based gun is $1125. Comes with everything ready to go including a zero'd scope. I have read tons and tons of good reviews on this setup, guys saying they are tack drivers out to 1000+. I plan to get a rem 700 version in .308 with the Mod 2(or what ever its called) stock with the adjustable cheek weld.

http://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml

Outlander Systems
02-04-10, 06:47
Voted for the DD. Get the DDXVM, since that is my new "Dream Gun".

rob_s
02-04-10, 06:51
Are you looking to fill the safe, or fill a need?

If the latter, we need to know a lot more about what you already have, what kind of shooting you do, what gaps you find in your current inventory that aren't being met, etc.

Business_Casual
02-04-10, 07:40
I'd spend a week at Black... er, US Training Center. Or with TigerSwan. There is nothing better than waking up each day knowing all you are going to do that day is put rounds downrange under state-of-the-art instruction.

M_P

Artos
02-04-10, 08:03
I would go w/ a 700 LTR cut to 16" & a new 308 can.

RogerinTPA
02-04-10, 08:28
Since you already have 2 ARs (types unknown), I'm with M_P. Buy some ammo, mags (if you don't have enough on hand already) and take a 3 or 5 day carbine/pistol course from LAV, Tigerswan, VTAC, Jim Smith, et al...

MAUSER88
02-04-10, 09:17
I voted bolt action and scope. A nice .308 bolt gun and scope is warranted.

SW-Shooter
02-04-10, 15:31
I have 34 AR magazines, and I've started to buy 5 a month. I am not looking to add just another gun to the safe. I am looking for the "go to" gun that I will use as my primary battle rifle. My AR's are self builds, using decent but not not the cream of the crop top tier names. I'm really leaning towards the SBR 556(only 1 vote though), but feel that 5.56 might not be the right "all-around" caliber. This is so damn confusing, I need a nudge in the right direction.

Shawn.L
02-04-10, 15:37
less guns, of higher quality, and training

thats been the direction I have been moving in.

Artos
02-04-10, 15:44
I am not looking to add just another gun to the safe. I am looking for the "go to" gun that I will use as my primary battle rifle. My AR's are self builds, using decent but not not the cream of the crop top tier names. I'm really leaning towards the SBR 556(only 1 vote though), but feel that 5.56 might not be the right "all-around" caliber. This is so damn confusing, I need a nudge in the right direction.

i don't think anyone pushed cuz you already had "black guns" you trusted in...i'm diggin my new suppressed sbr in good ole 5.56!!

Getta-goin man!!;)

Outlander Systems
02-04-10, 20:19
less guns, of higher quality, and training

thats been the direction I have been moving in.

I agree, and it's also the direction I've been moving as well.

If I were in your shoes, I would consolidate into single-calibre platforms. 5.56/.45 etc. I sold off all my 9mms, strictly because I have more support gear for my .45s. It makes my own personal logistics less of a hassle.

Do you own a shotgun? For $1500 you could get a nice scattergun, tons of ammo, and a couple of classes with it. Just leave $50.00 aside for Magpul Dynamics "Art of the Combative Shotgun" when it comes out.

;)

I wouldn't go the semi route on the shotgun, but that's just me.

As already stated, for that kind of scratch you could assemble some ammunition and a good training course.

Outlander Systems
02-04-10, 20:28
I am not looking to add just another gun to the safe. I am looking for the "go to" gun that I will use as my primary battle rifle.

I just read this, so scratch my shotgun suggestion.

If you're looking for a go-to smokewagon...

Wait, what's wrong with the two ARs you've got now? What are they, what parts have you used, etc?

For $1500 I'd imagine you could get both of them into top-shape. The itch for new kit is always nice, but once it's scratched, you're left with just another tool in the box. The more shooting I do, the less exciting new gear becomes.

I miss the days of walking into a gun store and feeling awe and wonder. Now it's like, "yeah, yeah, do you guys have anything I actually f*&*in' need". Usually they don't, and I end up picking up ammo or mags.

I just got rid of a piece-of-shit Taurus two weeks ago, and got a Glock 21SF. I was more excited about getting the ammo than the firearm. YMMV.

Depending on what you're working with, and the quality of your builds, you could buy some LPKs from Grant, new BCGs, spare bolts/firing pins, new barrels, and other reliability upgrades/spares.

Right now I'd love to start a custom build, but my pragmatic side is telling me to just buy maintenance supplies, ammo, and spares.

ETA: Bust out some pics and specs on your builds.

R.P.
02-04-10, 20:40
If I were in your shoes, I would consolidate into single-calibre platforms. 5.56/.45 etc. I sold off all my 9mms

I did this, except I got rid of my .45 and got 9mm, b/c I can afford to shoot it more.
My goal over the next 2 years is acquire 1 more AR (BCM or DD) and 1 more 9mm (Sig) to complement what I already have, and an 6.8 upper to smoke whitetails with.

As for the poll, I voted BCM, DD, or Colt.

SW-Shooter
02-04-10, 20:51
I use the Glock 21SF and Glock 30SF exclusively as my daily carry. The rest are handouts.

Doublestar lower w/ LPK from G&R (KNS added)
Magpul CTR, MIAD, & B.A.D.
Bushmaster 14.5 M4 upper w/perm YHM-3102A for Stainless Phantom
Bushmaster bolt assembly staked with MOAKS
BCM CH

Factory DPMS Panther AP4 Carbine
Chrome bore (BCG - MOAKS staked)
everything else is factory.

As you can tell I don't have a quality AR build per se (see "THE CHART"), so one isn't out of my thoughts. I think about a quality AR, but then my mind wanders to the Sig 556, XCR, etc....

ETA: I've attended training for both pistol and carbine.

rob_s
02-04-10, 20:53
It's been touched on and mentioned, but I'll say it outright.

Forget the guns. Go take a class.

Outlander Systems
02-04-10, 21:12
I use the Glock 21SF and Glock 30SF exclusively as my daily carry. The rest are handouts.

Doublestar lower w/ LPK from G&R (KNS added)
Magpul CTR, MIAD, & B.A.D.
Bushmaster 14.5 M4 upper w/perm YHM-3102A for Stainless Phantom
Bushmaster bolt assembly staked with MOAKS
BCM CH

Factory DPMS Panther AP4 Carbine
Chrome bore (BCG - MOAKS staked)
everything else is factory.

As you can tell I don't have a quality AR build per se (see "THE CHART"), so one isn't out of my thoughts. I think about a quality AR, but then my mind wanders to the Sig 556, XCR, etc....

ETA: I've attended training for both pistol and carbine.

It sounds like your weapons are at least servicable. Maybe throw one of Grant's LPKs into the DPMS, and get a new buffer for both of them.

Spend the 'loot on another class and ammo. You running any optics?

GermanSynergy
02-04-10, 21:17
Since you already have 2 ARs (types unknown), I'm with M_P. Buy some ammo, mags (if you don't have enough on hand already) and take a 3 or 5 day carbine/pistol course from LAV, Tigerswan, VTAC, Jim Smith, et al...

Well put. You've got the tools, now go out and train with em. You'll be glad you did.

SW-Shooter
02-04-10, 21:29
It sounds like your weapons are at least servicable. Maybe throw one of Grant's LPKs into the DPMS, and get a new buffer for both of them.

Spend the 'loot on another class and ammo. You running any optics?

I do have H buffers on both, forgot about that one.

I run the DPMS sans optic, AKA KISS. The other is using an Eotech 552. I was thinking about an Accupoint 1-4. It seems like there are too many things to do with too little funds to do it with. I'm looking at G&R right now, I'd like to buy a BCM, now just to figure out which setup and pray it's in stock.

Outlander Systems
02-04-10, 21:31
It seems like there are too many things to do with too little funds to do it with.

This is truth.

F the SBR, get a Middy.