PDA

View Full Version : Which optics for this m4 Les Baer?

Bowhunter2001
02-04-10, 12:44
I just ordered this Les Baer .223 Law enforcement ultimate 16" guaranteed to shoot 1/2" MOA. I will use it for target and coyotes. I am looking at a Nikon 5x20-44mm. I want to put a great scope on it, as a cheap one will defeat my purpose. I like the power and the 1/8 clicks at 100yds. Is Nikon a great scope or just a good scope?

I am looking at the LaRue rings and mount that you can take off. Does your scope really come back to zero when you put them back on?

Any other suggestions, thanks?
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x265/Bowhunter2001/lem4.jpg

Jerry R
02-04-10, 13:11
I have a Leupold 6.5x20 AO Matte Target Model on my SPR using a LaRue QD mount. The answer is definitely a Yes, it does come back. I ordered a set of Troy BUIS and had to pull it to zero them. Put the scope back on, shot a group to verify, and it was right where I left it. Photo done before the BUIS installed.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/IMG_0980SPRCentralGroup.jpg

d90king
02-04-10, 13:42
IMHO Nikon is just another optic and not as good as others available. I would look at the optics from Vortex, Night Force, Leopold, Trijiconetc.. there has also been a lot of chatter about the new Razor scope that was tested on Snipers Hide. There is a great review including video on it on Snipers Hide.

Just out of curiosity, what made you go with the Baer? I own and really like his 1911's, but I wouldn't consider him for an AR considering he still cant install a castle nut properly...

Bowhunter2001
02-04-10, 14:00
IMHO Nikon is just another optic and not as good as others available. I would look at the optics from Vortex, Night Force, Leopold, Trijiconetc.. there has also been a lot of chatter about the new Razor scope that was tested on Snipers Hide. There is a great review including video on it on Snipers Hide.

Just out of curiosity, what made you go with the Baer? I own and really like his 1911's, but I wouldn't consider him for an AR considering he still cant install a castle nut properly...

Just liked the looks of it and it's 1/2" guarantee. Would you think a 50mm is to big for this gun? I have never had a 50mm scope. They just look big. The largest I have is a 44mm 8x32 Burris posi-lock on my 40X Remington.

Bowhunter2001
02-04-10, 14:05
I have a Leupold 6.5x20 AO Matte Target Model on my SPR using a LaRue QD mount. The answer is definitely a Yes, it does come back. I ordered a set of Troy BUIS and had to pull it to zero them. Put the scope back on, shot a group to verify, and it was right where I left it. Photo done before the BUIS installed.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/Firearms/AR-15/IMG_0980SPRCentralGroup.jpg

Educate me on the Troy Buis. Are these the iron sights? I would like to put some sights on this gun. Which sights would work on a gun like this with the La Rue QD mount. Would the mount be high enough for the sights to fit underneath?

d90king
02-04-10, 14:15
Just liked the looks of it and it's 1/2" guarantee. Would you think a 50mm is to big for this gun? I have never had a 50mm scope. They just look big. The largest I have is a 44mm 8x32 Burris posi-lock on my 40X Remington.

I think the optics will exceed the effective range of the round you are shooting... There are much smarter guys than I that I will chime in. Personally I think 2.5-10 or 3-15 should be plenty for a .223 or 5.56 rifle. YMMV. It all boils down to what type of shooting you are doing.

Remember a lot of AR's will shoot sub MOA at 100.... If you think you will achieve .50 at 500yds with .223 please post some pics.;)

Bowhunter2001
02-04-10, 14:25
I think the optics will exceed the effective range of the round you are shooting... There are much smarter guys than I that I will chime in. Personally I think 2.5-10 or 3-15 should be plenty for a .223 or 5.56 rifle. YMMV. It all boils down to what type of shooting you are doing.

Remember a lot of AR's will shoot sub MOA at 100.... If you think you will achieve .50 at 500yds with .223 please post some pics.;)

1/2" at 100 yards. I will use it for targets and coyotes. I could have some coyote shots out to 500 yards at my farm.

ST911
02-04-10, 15:33
If you hurry, there's time to cancel your order and get a gun that's built correctly and will shoot to your accuracy standard. Noveske, Larue, others, all offer them.

To answer your other question, yes, your LT mount will retain zero when removed and reinstalled.

Nikon is good glass. Build quality is nothing exceptional, but there's a lot worse. Depends on what you're doing with it. Scope geeks can elaborate further.

Velvetant
02-04-10, 16:07
My 20" varmint AR has a Leupold VXIII 4.5X-14X-40 scope on it.
My 2 16" walking around AR's have Leupold 1X-4X-20 scope on it.
I do have a Burris 4.5X-14X on one of my AR's but the Leupolds are better glass imo

CobraBG
02-04-10, 17:38
My 20" varmint AR has a Leupold VXIII 4.5X-14X-40 scope on it.

So does mine... It's a Les Baer Super Varmint .223 and the 4.5 X 14 seems to be a good fit for it, though I have a longer/heavier barrel than yours. On my Colt LE6920 I am using the irons while I save for a red dot. If I were to run a scope on it, a 3 X 9 would be the max.

Bowhunter2001
02-08-10, 12:14

Did the Troy sights fit ok with the scope on the gun? Which Troy sights did you get? Do you have a photo after ou mounted the sights?

Bowhunter2001
02-08-10, 12:17
If you hurry, there's time to cancel your order and get a gun that's built correctly and will shoot to your accuracy standard. Noveske, Larue, others, all offer them.

To answer your other question, yes, your LT mount will retain zero when removed and reinstalled.

Nikon is good glass. Build quality is nothing exceptional, but there's a lot worse. Depends on what you're doing with it. Scope geeks can elaborate further.

The Les Baer isn't built correctly and it won't give me the 1/2 accuracy? Please explain?

ST911
02-08-10, 12:31
The Les Baer isn't built correctly and it won't give me the 1/2 accuracy? Please explain?

See the other thread on the Baer.

The Baer will shoot the 1/2". I meant to point out that another choice could be found that will as well.

Bowhunter2001
02-08-10, 12:40
See the other thread on the Baer.

The Baer will shoot the 1/2". I meant to point out that another choice could be found that will as well.

I searched for it and couldn't find it.

Thomas M-4
02-08-10, 12:44

For the money that you are spending on a Les Baer you could pick a Novoske, Larue,
BCM MK12 mod1 and they would meet you requirements for accuracy. But most important they will be assembled correctly castle nut installed on the right side a staked. The bolts and barrels will be HP/MP tested higher grade of steel used in the barrels will insure a long accurate life.The barrels will also have the correct twist and chamber to allow you to use the 75,77 grain otm rounds that are loaded to 5.56 pressure.
The Les Baer is accurate but so are the other rifles but they will have been assembled correctly. Les Baer is good at making 1911 pistols but the rifles :confused: could be better made considering how much they go for.

Thomas M-4
02-08-10, 13:24
Read though the sticky threads on the AR technical forum.
This one explains HP/MP , Barrel steel and more.https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

For the price of the Les Baer the amazing thing is the railed forarm that he uses:eek::confused: Looks awful lot like a Yankee hill http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/forearms.html
Yankee hill is not known to put out top of the line products they are more mid grade.
for $2200-$2700 rifle be looking for KAC rails, DD rails or Larue rails.
Put it all together castle nut incorrectly installed, No HP/MP of barrel and bolt, 1x9 twist rate, the mid grade railed forearm.For the same cash you can have top of the line rig.

Bowhunter2001
02-08-10, 16:08
I sent you a PM.

Read though the sticky threads on the AR technical forum.
This one explains HP/MP , Barrel steel and more.https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

For the price of the Les Baer the amazing thing is the railed forarm that he uses:eek::confused: Looks awful lot like a Yankee hill http://www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/forearms.html
Yankee hill is not known to put out top of the line products they are more mid grade.
for $2200-$2700 rifle be looking for KAC rails, DD rails or Larue rails.
Put it all together castle nut incorrectly installed, No HP/MP of barrel and bolt, 1x9 twist rate, the mid grade railed forearm.For the same cash you can have top of the line rig.