PDA

View Full Version : ATACS Camo- Post SHOT thoughts?

Iraq Ninja
02-04-10, 13:17
If you were at SHOT and saw that various ATACS items, what is your opinion after seeing it in person?

Not a lot of buzz going on online it seems, other than soldiersystems.com.

What do you feel the pattern is best suited for? ATACS appears to be more brown and tan based than traditional camo with green.

I do like how it breaks up the overall outline when one is wearing full kit and weapon, something the other patterns don't do as well.

JSantoro
02-04-10, 15:50
I agree, though I don't think that the lack of green really does it any harm. Loads of folks have been to Central and South America and seen dudes in dirty kahki hide in desidous and cloud forests just fine. The dark burnt-brown and greyish tones, I think, make up for any true greens.

Definitely viable for our current conflict environments.

I'm biased, though. I fully admit that multicam is impressively effective in the field, but seeing folks walk around in it otherwise...it looks like that person got ass-sprayed by 6 dogs with various intestinal maladies, and a couple of pigeons. Hate it like I hate being woken up from a nap, but it doesn't have to be pretty to work.

There may very well just be people sick of hearing about new camoflage patterns, hence the lack of buzz. I know I am.

eva05
02-06-10, 19:34
I was very impressed with EOTAC's new DA pants/smock and the Blue Force Gear 10 Speed Chest Rig. Both were in the new camo at the show. I will say the actual designs of the products utilizing ATACS impressed more than ATACS itself.

It would've been cool to see some sort of field demo but...alas...there was none.

When I spoke to the EOTAC guys at the show they made it very clear, the stuff that arrived was very last moment and not representative of the finished fabric/quality so who knows.

I will definitely be getting a EOTAC Combat Smock and Pant though :-D

I already have the 10 Speed. That was one of the coolest chest rigs I saw at the show ^_^

j

rugbymike
02-18-10, 13:12
I like it, I believe it is the only thing to beat Marpat. I just want to know when I can start buying camies, and hopefully material from diytactical so I can start making my own stuff with it.

eggroll
02-19-10, 00:37
I was not that impressed - Is the material available?

If so, is it in final form?

Azul
02-19-10, 01:48
I would have to hunt back through Soldier Systems but i recall a statement saying that they will have other color variants

From the ATACS site:

Q – A-TACS has been described as a universal pattern; so how will it work in a green environment?

A – A-TACS is a universal pattern concept. There will be environmentally specific variations. each of which are in-turn, designed to work in a wide range of settings. The current pattern variant is designed to work in a variety of arid, dry, grassy, rocky or urban environments.

skd_tactical
02-19-10, 18:01
I agree, though I don't think that the lack of green really does it any harm. Loads of folks have been to Central and South America and seen dudes in dirty kahki hide in desidous and cloud forests just fine. The dark burnt-brown and greyish tones, I think, make up for any true greens.

Definitely viable for our current conflict environments.

I'm biased, though. I fully admit that multicam is impressively effective in the field, but seeing folks walk around in it otherwise...it looks like that person got ass-sprayed by 6 dogs with various intestinal maladies, and a couple of pigeons. Hate it like I hate being woken up from a nap, but it doesn't have to be pretty to work.

There may very well just be people sick of hearing about new camoflage patterns, hence the lack of buzz. I know I am.

HAHAHAHA. I may never be able to look at Multicam the same again. Still love the stuff though.

SOS

TxSoldier
02-20-10, 17:57
Yes, I agree! That has to be the most "colorful" description of multicam I have ever seen!! :D

ShadowTactics
02-22-10, 11:19
Anyone offering any ACU's in the ATAC Camo yet?

militarymoron
02-22-10, 11:43
A – A-TACS is a universal pattern concept. There will be environmentally specific variations.

that's an oxymoron if i've ever seen one.
that being said, it looks like it'll work well in those specific areas it's optimized for.

custom-x_sponjah
02-22-10, 12:00
We tried to acquire some 1000d in the ATACS pattern when it first was released.
Was told to wait till after SHOT Show..
We're still interested in it, but hopefully its not @ Multicam Prices.. :p
I definitely agree the buzz is way down..
And I also heard through the grapevine materials will be distributed directly through TAG....
Who knows...

CXS

ShadowTactics
02-22-10, 13:20
Lets hope it's not at Multicam prices but I'll bet it will be. I can see the Multicam getting a bit more expensive while the Army ramps up their demand.

pr

ocmike
02-22-10, 14:30
I had a sit down with them at Shot and they specifically said the cost for materials would be kept below multicam.

chadbag
02-22-10, 15:45
that's an oxymoron if i've ever seen one.
that being said, it looks like it'll work well in those specific areas it's optimized for.

Actually it makes sense. The pattern is universal, meaning you don't need a different pattern for different terrain types. The coloring of the pattern may change depending on the environment.

At least that is what I take it to mean.

Jake0331
02-22-10, 19:16
Actually it makes sense. The pattern is universal, meaning you don't need a different pattern for different terrain types. The coloring of the pattern may change depending on the environment.

At least that is what I take it to mean.

That's exactly what digital has done. Same pattern, different colors. ACU, MARPAT, Desert MARPAT, CADPAT, HajiPAT...

militarymoron
02-23-10, 12:22
ok, i'm tracking you guys now. pattern vs. colour.

rugbymike
02-23-10, 12:33
I was a little off too. I had to read it a couple times to be tracking.

J8127
01-21-11, 17:39
I thought it looked good, very good for urban environments which is probably what we should focus on.

At the end of the day though, the USMC still has it right, especially logistically. The fact that their CB gear as well as their belts, t-shirts, boots, etc... all transfers over and the only things they change are blouse, trousers, and headgear is the best route. A universal camo just doesn't exist. Multi-Cam and ATAC make valiant efforts, but they are still "B" rate across the board, where as having multiple patterns with common gear allows for "A" camouflage without a logistical nightmare on part of the military.

The bottom line is it needs to get un-assed right the **** now because it's ridiculous. Right now I have gear in ABU, ACU, Foliage, BDU, OD, Range Green, Coyote Tan, Coyote Brown, DCU, Multi-Cam, black, and 4 shades of spray paint.

Someone mentioned price, Multi-Cam isn't really any more expensive than anything else, I believe you are talking about Crye's proprietary designs, which are expensive as shit because of supply and demand. They can charge $180 for a pair of pants and still have a 3 month backorder.

ares armor
01-22-11, 17:54
We have been working in ATACS for the past 4 months now. I have personally witnessed a comparative demo with ATACS and Mulitcam that the sniper school put on over here at Camp Pen. It is a very impressive pattern.

JohnnyC
01-22-11, 22:11
I'm interested in it for hunting predators in Southern AZ. Looks like it might work out nicely for that. I'm not nearly qualified enough to give an opinion on it as far as the military is concerned.

nobody knows
01-22-11, 22:18
Hello everyone, I didn't see a place to post an introduction, nor did I see anywhere in the rules that stated it was necessary, but if I have experienced a reading comprehension FAIL.or I'm just to stupid to see it lol just let me know thanks.

I really like this pattern. I've been waiting for gear (from quality companies) to come out, Though I don't have an updated list of companies backing it. But BFG is a step in the right direction hopefully more will fallow. As for the patterns range of use, IMO (from a photo I seen from A-tac) it work's very well in a woodland setting. The way I see it again just my opinion, the light that brakes through the tree's (tan-ish), and the shadows created (black-ish). Create the pattern naturally. (Sorry if that doesn't make any sense) but that only covers spring,summer and the beginning of fall. I don't know how well it would do in the winter.

if they end up making several different shades it might have a chance of succeeding. At least in the civilian market.

calicojack
01-23-11, 02:02
i was told this past august that atacs would be releasing their "woodland" color scheme in time for shot. ....

stu at esstac has gotten some material. don't know if he still has any left. apparently TAG got alot of it too

SilentType
02-25-11, 23:27
I love the pattern.

I can't wait to see the Green version and the Winter Version.

If they come out with a Green version and Winter Version I'll ditch Multicam.

Tortuga
02-27-11, 13:26
I never heard of the pattern until Aaron mentioned it while talking to him about a pack build, now I'm really interested in it. Especially as a 4-season pattern up here in New England.

WillC
02-27-11, 23:05
Not a bad pattern but very similar to what some units were using for the first gulf war, I think we have come a long way since then and the recent developments in digi not only do a better job with visual but also augmented sensors.
As a side note, while not having seen ATACS in Sniper settings, the best I have previously seen was desert Tiger with some grey spray paint and mudded, worked better than multicam.

pilotguyo540
02-27-11, 23:27
This bloody post is worthless without pics.

Just sayin'.

ColdDeadHands
03-31-11, 22:06
From looking at the pictures on the multicam & atacs websites it seems to me that the Atacs is outstanding in the environment that it was designed for but multicam does a pretty good job in any environment. I'll stick with multicam.

Saw Atacs in person today @ Top Brass here in Houston...$65 ea. for Jacket or Pants.

CaptainDooley
04-01-11, 10:27
Since I don't really NEED camo, I can base my opinion on something like my following comment: I think ATACS is awesome because it looks exactly like the camo the strike team wore in Return of the Jedi…

Of course for actual usefulness, I'll defer to our SMEs.

BSHNT2015
04-02-11, 10:14
Good call capt, I'll have to review my Star War's collection in blu-ray.
There is or was a trend by some SWAT teams using multicam. I see ATAC being a natural fit in a gray/brown/dark building environment.

ARx3
04-03-11, 16:57
These photos were taken yesterday in the Flint Hills area of Kansas. The first is of the steel target we were shooting @ 500 yds. The second photo is of me standing next to the target. I have on a tan 5:11 shirt and A-TACS camo pants. You can clearly see the white target and my tan top and the pants blend in with the background. We took the shot with a 4 mega pixel camera through a Leupold MK 4 3.5x10. I know it's not the best picture but we were trying to get a shooters view. And yes the rifle was unloaded with no ammo in the area.
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/IMG00126-20110402-1357-1.jpg

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i420/G21H30/ATACSat500yds.jpg

LowSpeed_HighDrag
04-03-11, 23:31
Ive been looking for gear in Atacs for awhile now. It just so happens Ares Armor has been working in ATACS camo, so when I stopped in and saw their chest rig, I had to have it.

I think it's called the Atalanta Light, just like the Atalanta but instead of double pouches it sports singles with molle on the front. Here's a quick pic as I havent had a chance to put it through its paces:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f198/glockfire/Guns%20and%20Gear/DSC01482.jpg

TehLlama
04-03-11, 23:40
Given the prices at GreyGhost for their ATACS packs, I just took the leap. I live in a remarkably arid region, so I figured I'd at least give the pattern a shot. I picked up a couple packs, so I'll run them through some abuse down the road.
I'll probably paint my SPR to match the pattern, and see how that overall setup works out.

I do think that with the addition of a foliage or sage color, it would be a very effective pan-arid and general use littoral pattern, and would enhance how well it works in urban areas, but it wouldn't stand out as much as a pattern... especially with the new plethora of AOR1.5 type camouflage schemes that take an existing pattern, and graft in the colors the Army should have used with ACU from the start (tan, sage, and brown).

mos2111
04-05-11, 14:29
Its neat, I got one of the Grey Ghost packs. I will stick with multicam until I see some shots of it in various conditions. I dont live in a strictly arid area and "should" just buy more multicam....

HuntingTime
04-10-11, 10:56
Predator Intel has some shots on their blog of desert shots but also with some green trees a-tacs photos (http://blog.predatorbdu.com)

SGTMAJ
04-11-11, 09:33
I think as more and more of the military accepts Multi-cam you will see more of it on the market. I know living in the NE I can get by with multicam with no problems at least 8 months out of the year the other 4 are overwhites.

variablebinary
04-11-11, 10:33
Just in case some people have no idea what A-TACS is...

A big issue with most of these universal camo patterns is they turn damn near white after a few washes, making their shelf life very short. In comparison, woodland BDU's and DCU's seem to remain color viable unless you throw them in bleach.

Also, multicam is the only uni-camo that seems to work places other than rocky areas and gravel pits.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr74/a165smi/ATACS/atacsIMG_1024lr.jpg

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr74/a165smi/ATACS/IMG0262.jpg

awm14hp
04-11-11, 15:56
I think as more and more of the military accepts Multi-cam you will see more of it on the market. I know living in the NE I can get by with multicam with no problems at least 8 months out of the year the other 4 are overwhites.

I am in same area totally agree the brown on brown wouldnt be good for most of the year

variablebinary
04-12-11, 08:29
Another pic of A-TACS

Here in Utah, it would great everywhere all year around. Then again, UCP works pretty good here too due to all the sage and shrubs

http://a-tacs.com/images/where-to-buy-img.jpg

TehLlama
04-12-11, 23:54
I wonder if it would look silly with some Foliage Green gear over it?

variablebinary
04-13-11, 04:55
I wonder if it would look silly with some Foliage Green gear over it?

I happen to like mismatch camo. MC plate carriers over ACU's and ABU's looks cool to me

HuntingTime
04-15-11, 20:56
I think A-TACS over ACU or ABU wouldn't be too much of a clash or MultiCam for that matter. Woodland Digital or BDU with A-TACS gear might be an odd combo.

SMETNA
12-04-11, 07:27
The A-TACS Forest/Green version is now announced:

http://a-tacs.com

http://a-tacs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/A_TACS_FG-Pattern-Swatch.jpg

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-04-11, 18:41
I'm really liking Atacs right now, I need to order some more of it from Ares Armor.

SMETNA
12-04-11, 22:17
I really like this new FG variant. Picking some up once it gets mass produced. MC looks just a little too brown/fde for my region in summer, unless we have a drought and shit starts to dry up and die. MC is decent in Fall too