PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone messed with SolarForce Lights?

markm
02-04-10, 18:12
Those guys over on CandlePowerForums turned me on to these low cost LED hosts. So far I like the light, but it's too early to really give a comprehensive opinion.

Anyway... I ended up doing this complete light and VLTOR mount for $117 including shipping! It's my first LED and lightwise performs significantly better than ANY incan light I've ever run... And I don't feel like I have a fragile device attached to my weapon.

This model is the L2P which is HA III anodized, Cree single mode drop in (I don't like multi mode nonsense on any light), L2-S4 Tailcap (momentary and click since the stock tailcap only had click), and VLTOR mount.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson094-1.jpg?t=1265327544

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson092-1.jpg?t=1265328154

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/hudson093.jpg?t=1265328381

Dennis
02-05-10, 12:44
They are kinda cheap, but then again flashlights aren't exactly rocket science. I use some Solarforce bezels with no issues, but I am not sure I would trust their switches given that even Surefire has problems with their clickies.

Dennis.

markm
02-05-10, 13:59
Yeah. The tail cap/switch is probably my biggest concern. Not that it seems cheap or that there's any bad reviews of them. I'm just still of the school that you get what you pay for.

The thing is, however... those flash light lunatics on CPF recommend SolarForce. There's quite a few flashlight gurus who have a healthy collection of them.

Dennis
02-06-10, 02:34
Yeah. The tail cap/switch is probably my biggest concern. Not that it seems cheap or that there's any bad reviews of them. I'm just still of the school that you get what you pay for.

The thing is, however... those flash light lunatics on CPF recommend SolarForce. There's quite a few flashlight gurus who have a healthy collection of them.

Yeah, so they have plenty of extra's if one dies :p

I'm pretty much a flashlight lunatic but there is a difference between a LED host for occasional fun use and a light on my primary carbine that I want to work ALL the time.

Dennis.

markm
02-06-10, 07:42
I'm pretty much a flashlight lunatic but there is a difference between a LED host for occasional fun use and a light on my primary carbine that I want to work ALL the time.

I don't even find a weapon light forum over on CPF. :confused:

Would you opt for a host LED over a G2 Incan?

Dennis
02-06-10, 17:22
There is no weaponlight forum on CPF, just the occasional post that generates all kinds of opinions from those with and without weapons and/or experience. However, there is enough good knowledge there to show that some things work and some don't.

For simplicity, durability, value, and quality I'd go with a G2 with a Malkoff M60L LED at 100lumens for 4+ hours works for you. If you want more lumens of a M60 at 180+ lumens then you need a 6P host to dissipate the heat, you can probably easily find a used one. While the cheap drop-ins seem to work fine and may well for fun use, I wouldn't count on one of those either for a weaponlight.

People have also had really good luck with Olights, Fenix, and other brands mounted on weapons.

Buy cheap, buy twice. Assuming you have the chance after your weaponlight fails on you :).

Peruse the marketplace over at CPF for an old 6P host or at least a twisty tailcap for your solarforce body/head and maybe even a used Malkoff LED Drop in for the bare minimum of quality.

Dennis.

markm
02-06-10, 22:33
For simplicity, durability, value, and quality I'd go with a G2 with a Malkoff M60L LED at 100lumens for 4+ hours works for you.

That's just it. The twisty momentary tail cap on the G2 is mediocre at best. One of the G2's I have has a certain sticky characteristic that drive me nuts. And even the "good" G2 I use has both the exposed button which is easily activated when I don't want it to be, AND the twist cap is too loose and is useless for anything other than light (no complications) home defense stuff.

I could NEVER sling my G2 lighted guns over my back and trust that they'd not, at a minimum, activate or worse... the tail cap would spin to some position that would either render the light inoperable when I needed it or spin the light to constant on.

The SolarForce tailcap eliminates all of those issues. I'm not shilling Solarforce stuff at all. I have yet to get some time with this light on my gun... but so far I feel like this light is a monumental improvement over the G2s I've been running.

Dennis
02-07-10, 02:15
Hey, whatever makes you happy. You don't have to convince me if you like what you have. I'm just asking if you trust the switching of your weaponlight to a $10 (retail) Chinese part... (Although I do use many high quality Chinese lights and I have had SF stuff break on me.)

You can always take apart your G2 and use some silicon grease to loosen it up, or use a bigger o-ring on the loose one, or just return whatever you don't like to SF for a replacement.

SF actually makes a nice clicky switch that addresses your issues:
http://www.surefire.com/Click-On-Lock-out-Tailcap-Z49

Personally, I use both clickies and twisties on my weaponlights and each has their pros and cons but I train to make them work for me. I actually have a couple of the SF and other fully enclosed switches and do not like them because they are harder for me to activate when required.

Have fun shooting!

Dennis.

markm
02-07-10, 09:21
SF actually makes a nice clicky switch that addresses your issues:
http://www.surefire.com/Click-On-Lock-out-Tailcap-Z49

Excellent! Thanks.

I don't know how I missed this.... I've been all over SF's website for the past week trying to figger out what I wanted in a light that I could leave on the gun full time.

RWK
02-07-10, 09:52
If you already own a G2 incan, you could drop in a high-performance LED from Malkoff Devices (http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/dropin-mod-dropins-to-fit-surefire-c-1_14.html). I own several G2's and have done this with all of them, as well as replacing the tail caps with Z49's.

SeriousStudent
02-07-10, 14:10
MarkM: Another thing that will whet your appetite is that Malkoff is running a sale right now, on a pair of LED's that would work well for you.

http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/specials.html?zenid=h2f2evv1fnpdsq7fv0svpp8kr3

Twenty bucks off on the 80 lumen and 140 lumen LED's. He's getting ready to put out some new ones, and is clearancing the old ones. It would help offset the cost of your new tailcap switch.

HTH, and let us know what you decide to do. I'm in the same boat on one of my carbines. I'm an inch away from just buying a used X300 and calling it good.

toasterlocker
02-09-10, 21:15
Never used one weaponmounted, but I did carry a Solarforce through academy and my first few months as a cop as a backup light. Had no issues, and liked it. Only reason I stopped carrying it is because I didn't like the crappy nylon holster and I REALLY like the Surefire V70 holster. The light itself was awesome, every bit as good as my 6P with Malkoff drop in.

markm
02-10-10, 19:10
MarkM: Another thing that will whet your appetite is that Malkoff is running a sale right now, on a pair of LED's that would work well for you.

I'm waiting for the M60 to get back in stock. I ordered the SolarForce as a host for the M60, and simply added the Cree for the $2.95 additional amount.

The Cree is pretty damned impressive though.

RWK
02-12-10, 08:30
I'm waiting for the M60 to get back in stock.

Depending on how much light you want, the M60L may do you. It puts out quite a bit more light than a standard SF. The M60 is really bright for indoor use...

markm
02-12-10, 16:42
I like stupid amounts of light. I've never held a light that I thought would be too much throw or splash for me.:p

drrufo
02-12-10, 18:16
FWIW, there is a 500 lumen solarforce l2p up for bid on EBAY. I think it is a buy it noe for 55 bucks. You might want to wander over there