PDA

View Full Version : Kimber use of MIM... from an expert

Triton28
02-04-10, 22:14
Like 'em, hate 'em, don't give a damn... this is just funny.

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=78337&page=4&pp=10

O.k. first of all lets start with the basics on this one. Kimber barrels are MIM (metal injection molded) GASP!!!, as are their frames, slides and all small parts (which do occasionally have to be replaced due to failure). How do I know this you ask...well a friend of mine owns one of the leading barrel making companies in the business and he bought a kimber, "Cause it just seemed so nice Joe", and upon inspection he found it was MIM. Can't fool a custom barrel maker folks.

But that isn't really the answer to your question sir. The answer is yes. The barrel chambers in Kimbers are undersized or not finish reamed, if you will. That is not the only reason they don't feed however. A big reason is that every single Kimber I have ever worked on without exception has what is called "barrel bump". This is when the front radius of the barrel legs strike the slide stop as the gun is cycling forward. This causes the slide to stall very slightly and then the gun jams. There are several reasons for this but I won't go into them at this time...

This is pretty common in custom guns as well. Matter of fact, come to think of it, only a handful of guns I have ever seen besides ours didn't have barrel bump. Most of those were by fellow BE pistolsmiths like Curtis and Keefer that really desired the accuracy AND reliability.

As to what "tight" is, I can't tell you simply because I have never measured one. If I get another one in here I will just to see now that you asked. I can tell you the reamers we use here cut quite a bit out and they are just standard finish reamers you can get from Brownells: Manson or Clymer.

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Avenger29
02-04-10, 22:24
I don't think you'll find a bunch of Kimber fans here anyway...

But MIM barrels? Huh? Is that even possible? :confused: I don't even know what to make of that...

Powder_Burn
02-04-10, 22:40
MIM barrels? Hmm.

I had a Kimber CDP years ago and had the MIM safety crack off while firing (when it would feed). Not an impressive ownership experience...

glocktogo
02-04-10, 22:41
As to what "tight" is, I can't tell you simply because I have never measured one.

A gunsmith who doesn't measure tolerances? Sounds more like a gun plumber to me. :(

SWATcop556
02-04-10, 23:25
Kimber's small parts like the slide stop and such are MIM but that is nonsense about the frames, slides, and barrels.

I didn't keep and of the small parts off mine but the frames, slides, and barrels are good to build up.

piggly_wiggly
02-04-10, 23:55
As someone who has intimate first hand knowledge of their factory in Yonkers, that would be a big Negative, Ghostrider... barrel, slide and frames are not MIM.

John_Wayne777
02-05-10, 06:03
Survey says...bs. To quote somebody in the room with me, "I know Kimber is cheap, but not that cheap."