PDA

View Full Version : OT-sub-5000 dollar 4x4 recommendations

skyugo
02-05-10, 17:49
currently looking at:
80's 4runners
jeep wranglers and cherokees
landcruisers (probably too fuel thirsty for me)

anything else i should check out?

need:
4x4
manual transmission
~20mpg

a rear seat would be nice

space for a mountain bike in back would be nice

solid front axle would be nice

thanks guys

Jack-O
02-05-10, 18:07
the old toyota pickups were very capable and highly modable.

the toyota landcruisers were very capable as well, but you wont see them anywhere near 20MPG

jcase64
02-05-10, 18:08
I'm in the same boat. So I'm interested in replies. Here is my deuce lincolns.

Jeep- Pro: plenty of parts, cheap, I6 runs forever and is comparably torquey Con: in TX jeeps go 30%+ over bluebook
Toyota- Pro: 4banger economy Con: zero power, v6 had neither power nor economy
Landcruiser- Pro: roomy and very sexy (ive always wanted one), Con: parts are expensive

ckay
02-05-10, 18:15
4.0 Cherokee. 5.0 Bronco. 4.0 Ranger

MarshallDodge
02-05-10, 18:18
Toyota 4Runner. Don't get caught up in the solid front axle stuff, IFS will get you through the same stuff....ask me how I know. ;)

perna
02-05-10, 18:19
Nissan- pathfinder, hardbody, frontier, xterra

skyugo
02-05-10, 18:31
Toyota 4Runner. Don't get caught up in the solid front axle stuff, IFS will get you through the same stuff....ask me how I know. ;)

yeah my old toyota pickup was IFS. did pretty well.
man i really am not looking forward to doing another timing chain. :mad:

Severian
02-05-10, 19:12
Should be able to pick up a Jeep YJ w/4.0L in good shape for ~$4000 in most areas.

Just be sure to change out the rear axle with a Ford 8.8 (usually taken from a mid-90's Explorer, easily found in junkyards) if you plan on actually taking it offroad or putting on oversized tires. This is probably the most common mod on the Jeep YJ's, so you might find one with a 8.8 already installed. The stock Dana 30 is extremely weak and snaps easily under pressure -- this is the one weakness on these models. You'll get rear disc brakes and often a limited slip diff with the 8.8 swap. Jeeps are hardy and fun to work on, cheap and readily available parts.

For 4Runners, if I remember correctly, I believe the most coveted year is 1985, which has the 2.4L 22R-E fuel-injected engine, and retains the solid front axle. In '86 they went to the independent front axles which is more comfortable on-road, but generally less desirable for any serious 4x4ing. I've worked on a few of these including rebuilding this engine, and they are also solid, just a bit too cramped for my tastes (and 6'6" frame). :)

MarshallDodge
02-05-10, 19:27
Nissan- pathfinder, hardbody, frontier, xterra

Xterra wouldn't be a bad choice either, Pathfinders are good as well but a little more spendy.

skyugo
02-05-10, 20:51
Should be able to pick up a Jeep YJ w/4.0L in good shape for ~$4000 in most areas.

Just be sure to change out the rear axle with a Ford 8.8 (usually taken from a mid-90's Explorer, easily found in junkyards) if you plan on actually taking it offroad or putting on oversized tires. This is probably the most common mod on the Jeep YJ's, so you might find one with a 8.8 already installed. The stock Dana 30 is extremely weak and snaps easily under pressure -- this is the one weakness on these models. You'll get rear disc brakes and often a limited slip diff with the 8.8 swap. Jeeps are hardy and fun to work on, cheap and readily available parts.

For 4Runners, if I remember correctly, I believe the most coveted year is 1985, which has the 2.4L 22R-E fuel-injected engine, and retains the solid front axle. In '86 they went to the independent front axles which is more comfortable on-road, but generally less desirable for any serious 4x4ing. I've worked on a few of these including rebuilding this engine, and they are also solid, just a bit too cramped for my tastes (and 6'6" frame). :)

how are the jeep axles with stock tires? not bad?

i'm a pretty big toyota guy actually.. loved my 89 4x4 pickup. it was a quirky old beast (i didn't get it til it was already a good 14 years old), but it always got me home.

Severian
02-05-10, 21:02
how are the jeep axles with stock tires? not bad?

Stock is really the only way to go with the Dana 30 on the YJ's. I'm sure there are plenty of people driving them around like that without any issues. The problem is exaggerated when you start putting on larger tires. And I guess it depends on what the intended use is for. If it's mainly for daily driving and occasional mild 4x4ing, then you're probably okay. You just have to be mindful of the weakness, and take things easy and slow. Don't expect to go plowing your way through any tank traps or mud holes. If you are doing any regular 'wheeling or getting into situations where you are spinning your wheels and putting stress on the axle, then it is generally considered a ticking time bomb.

The good news is axle swaps are fairly cheap and easy especially if you have a few handy friends. The Ford 8.8 is a direct swap, and it's bombproof. If you go this route, lots of good info over at Jeepforum.com.

perna
02-05-10, 21:33
Pathfinders are good as well but a little more spendy.

Older pathfinders are cheap, and they work very well offroad, and they last forever. I belong to a Nissan offroad club, and have wheeled with plenty of them.

tirod
02-05-10, 21:37
Live axles = less joints, more longevity. The differential isn't anchored. with sway bar disconnects you will get more flexibility. There really aren't any IFS rockcrawlers out there for that exact reason - except the HMMV.

IFS = two CV joints each side, and an differential that must be bolted down to the frame. It leaves less flexiblity, can't crawl. With all the minivans and pickups on the road with CV shafts, I sell them. Live axles, almost never. Only the extremists are breaking them, and they immediately upgrade. It's a a culture of break it and make it better. Much more expensive to do with CV, so they are shunned.

The 92 up Cherokee would be a good bet, the 4.0 Exploders earned the name for a reason- the engine has a bad head gasket design. The Toyota and Nissan are priced higher because the market is willing to pay for the supposed durability. They better be, the parts are expensive and have to be ordered in from regional warehouses. Not on the shelf.

I just broke out back window on my 90 Cherokee, so far I can get an entire rear hatch with glass, defroster, and wiper for $150. I don't think glass alone would be that cheap for an import, I could be wrong.

Whatever floats the boat, I strongly recommend a real locker of some sort. Add water to just about any surface and even mud tires will spin out.

Kentucky Cop
02-05-10, 21:39
www.jeep-classifieds.com

Good site to check out. The late CJ-7's are awesome. I have had a few with the inline six cylinders and they are bomb proof and extremely capable. Also, I second the Toyota trucks.

Ky Cop

Chooie
02-05-10, 21:56
My short list would include the Toyota 4runner, Nissan Pathfinder, Isuzu Rodeo, Toyota Tacoma, or a Jeep XJ or ZJ. 20mpg is ambitious from anything in your price range that would be on the more capable side off-road. The Rodeo is IFS, but solid axle swaps are common if you want to go that way - but it is quite the capable runabout.

skyugo
02-06-10, 10:47
My short list would include the Toyota 4runner, Nissan Pathfinder, Isuzu Rodeo, Toyota Tacoma, or a Jeep XJ or ZJ. 20mpg is ambitious from anything in your price range that would be on the more capable side off-road. The Rodeo is IFS, but solid axle swaps are common if you want to go that way - but it is quite the capable runabout.

i'm thinking stock tires, or maybe 32's or something, and a rear locker. it's gotta be daily driveable, i've got 15 minutes on the interstate to get to work.
my old 89 toyota pickup got 20 mpg regardless of what i did to it. well unless i was going over 80. then it was more like 17 :mad:

Honu
02-06-10, 11:09
I know I would consider if you need or want a Hard top for commute ? did not like the lack of security of a soft top though

I miss my old FJ40 and the top down nice weather feel but it got about 8-10MPG :(

my old Toyota Straight axle pickups were great but I hate not having the interior room ?

I think I would get a Jeep even though I love myt new FJ :) but the jeep you can get a hardtop for if you choose that option tons of parts like you mention and some great people like toyota the club guys can really help you out and with so many options the $5k budget could get you a nice setup that also can get nicer and nicer as time allows

I would love a CJ5 someday

mhanna91
02-06-10, 11:18
generally speaking, a solid front axle vehicle is cheaper to buy lift kits for than a IFS vehicle. That being said, I say go for a Chevy K-Blazer Pre-92.

Chooie
02-06-10, 12:24
i'm thinking stock tires, or maybe 32's or something, and a rear locker. it's gotta be daily driveable, i've got 15 minutes on the interstate to get to work.
my old 89 toyota pickup got 20 mpg regardless of what i did to it. well unless i was going over 80. then it was more like 17 :mad:

I think a Rodeo might be a good match for you. It comes with a Dana 44 in the rear and Isuzu 10 bolt in the front IFS. Stock gear ratios range from 4.10 to 4.77 and at least in the first gen you can run 32s with no lift (I have 33s on my Trooper with no lift and stock 4.56 gears). Lifting the front is as simple as cranking down on the torsion bar bolts and relocating the upper ball joint to the bottom side of the upper control arm to correct camber. Lifting the rear is cheap as well - plenty of kits available at independent4x.com. Plus they're quite underrated - you can probably buy a newer, nicer Isuzu for the same money as a beater XJ or 4Runner.