PDA

View Full Version : Free Float rail vs. Standard

C'yotecaller
04-03-07, 20:21
I have been looking at getting a carbine length rail handguard for my rifle and have been debating on free floated version vs. standard. I am pretty set on the Midwest Industries models. I can get the standard rail handguard for about $110, vs $170 for the free floated version. My question is, is having the barrel free floated worth the extra $60 bucks. I mainly just use my rifle for plinking and hunting stuff and dont sit at a gun range trying to get super tight groups on paper, so does the free float even matter? I do plan on putting a flashlight and laser on the handguard eventually just for tacti-coolness. How much might this throw of my POI if I go with the standard handguards?

Harv
04-03-07, 20:27
I mainly just use my rifle for plinking and hunting stuff and dont sit at a gun range trying to get super tight groups on paper, so does the free float even matter?

For that.. no it does not.. you will never notice nor reap the benefit off it.

Snake RAH
04-03-07, 23:51
+1

Unless you're putting optics on the rail and a bipod to milk all the accuracy you can get out of your gun, free float rails aren't necessary. With that $60 or so you save, you can put it towards a nice 2-day shooting class or ammo.