PDA

View Full Version : M&P thumb safety and holsters

calvin118
02-05-10, 21:38
I am thinking about getting an M&P9 FS with thumb safety to use as a carry gun in an MTAC IWB holster. I already have 2 M&P's, but now that I have installed apex sears (which I am completely unwilling to part with) I am a little concerned about the security of such a light trigger. I held a TS model at a gun shop, and it seems like my hand is big enough to comfortably ride the safety. I am still concerned about the comfort and stability of the safety while in the holster, however. To those who have M&P's with the safety, does it jam into your side too much to wear, and will it reliably stay on 'safe' in a holster?

SpeedRacer
02-06-10, 00:19
I recently went through the same mental process as you and bought an M&P-9c with the thumb safety. I originally carried it in a Comptac CTac I had to modify to fit the safety lever. Not the most comfortable holster I've worn, but definitely held the gun and safety securely.

http://www.thecurt.com/MP_4.jpg

I then had K&D Holsters make me a custom leather rig. While it wasn't molded for the thumb safety model, Kevin (the owner) gave me some tips to mold the thumb safety lever in to the back panel and it worked great. Never once did the safety disengage.

http://upload.bayoushooter.com/images/7rdgb0tv43wjgn3bzrol.jpg

Both options worked great, and the safety was completely unnoticed in regards to carrying it.

I will say though, after doing a lot more reading and taking a couple defensive handgun courses, I've since removed the thumb safety from my M&P and wish I would've bought the standard model to begin with. Regardless of how light your trigger is, the only safety you really need is between your ears. ;)

calvin118
02-06-10, 08:18
SpeedRacer,

Thanks for the great reply.

I have heard some negativity about the M&P thumb safety, and was wondering what you don't like about it? While it feels OK in the gunshop, I know that live fire can be a totally different experience. That said, a decent number of people hate the HK45 safety/decocker and it works fine for me.

I am really on the fence about the feature. I guess I could always get the safety and take it off if I didn't like it. My concern is that a prosecutor with an ideological axe to grind might try to use that to manipulate if I was ever forced to defend myself.

Someone please convince me either way...

SpeedRacer
02-06-10, 09:14
The thumb safety on the M&P is easy to use and located in a comfortable position. It's close to a 1911 feel, though not quite as natural feeling. The only thing I didn't like about it, and it's a pretty big deal IMO, is if your timing is off and you squeeze the trigger before or during deactivating the safety, the trigger will go all the way back without engaging the striker. So you get a false trigger pull. Not a very good design IMO.

I've just gotten to a point where I like my guns as simple as possible, point and shoot. No safeties to worry about manipulating when the SHTF. If I had to do it all over again I would go with the standard model.

You can easily remove the thumb safety setup without affecting function, but you will end up with two small openings on the frame. Not a huge deal, but potentially allow more dirt and junk in so I just clean mine more often.

I wouldn't worry about what any prosecutor thinks. I think at that point you'd just be happy to be alive. And removing the safety just makes it a standard M&P like millions of others...so it would be hard to make you out to be a "bad guy".