PDA

View Full Version : Best sight for tactical application

Dirk Williams
02-06-10, 02:15
I mentioned in an earlier thread that I was having a co-witness problem with a magpul rear BUIS. "Had put a VLTOR VCAS EL on making the standard upper receiver rail taller". Changed the rear BUIS out to a MI and it works fine now."Stock front M4 sight'

Ideally I'd like to have the sights and a quality red dot merry up for a true co-witness. Is there a red dot system out that will achieve that stated goal.?. If not what is the next best option.

Thanks in advance.
Dirk

Oscar 319
02-06-10, 05:57
Not sure exactly what your asking, but I believe the key word you are looking for is "Absolute Co-witness" in your chosen mount (as opposed to 1/3 co-witness).

This will place the dot on the top of your front sight post.

This can be achieved with any Aimpoint M2/M3/M4/T1/H1 and proper mount.

boganz45
02-06-10, 09:42
An absolute co-witness aligns your irons in the center of your red dot sight and your red dot should then "sit atop" of your front sight post. A co-witness places your irons somewhere within the field of view of your red dot sight (usually the lower one-third of the red dot sight - you can still see your irons through your glass but the red dot will not be in alignment with your irons). In most situations the mount you buy will determine the iron/red dot alignment (or lack thereof). Choose the sight you want then someone will let you know if you can purchase a mount for it that will give you the absolute co-witness (irons and red dot aligned) that I think you are looking for. It is a preference thing; I prefer an absolute co-witness.

Ridge_Runner_5
02-06-10, 09:47
Metro PD SWAT uses a ghost sight...

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/9544/tfatfrifle1.jpg

SeriousStudent
02-06-10, 11:17
His eyes are closed, he's using "the Force."

That poor guy, I wonder who put him up to that? :(

Dirk Williams
02-06-10, 11:42
Thank you for the response.

I wrote the request at mid night after my shift ended. I think what I want is for my iron sights to line up perfect with the red dot.

I have this set up on my Noveske, it has BUIS 's front and back and lines up square with am Eotech. IE The red dot is in a straight line with the iron sights, and is sighted in out to say one hundred yards.

This is a different M4 with an actual fixed front sight.

Not worried about cost , which of those sights is the best, and are any Night Vision capable. IE Can I see the dot thru my goggles.

If there is a better solution please square me away, I want to do this right the first time.

Thanks
Dirk

tracker722
02-06-10, 19:16

boganz45
02-07-10, 01:49
Pick up a KAC or Troy folding rear sight, the RDS of your choice (I prefer Aimpoint), and the proper mount (I prefer Larue) that provides an absolute co-witness.

Here is a rifle of mine with the stock Colt "F" Front Sight Block, an Aimpoint Comp M4 on a Larue LT659 Night Vision Comp M4 Mount, and a Troy Rear Folding Battlesight. This setup provides an absolute co-witness (the red dot "sits atop" the front sight post and aligns perfectly centered with the rear sight - all sighting components are in alignment). The Aimpoint Comp M4 is NVG compatible.

http://i748.photobucket.com/albums/xx123/boganz45/IMG_36552.jpg

vigilant2
02-07-10, 08:07
Just to be sure I understand, you are using a Vltor CASV-EL handguard
with the raised 1 piece rail, right?
If so, I don't believe you will be able to achieve an " absolute co-witness",
I have this setup and I'm using a Larue RASII mount with an Aimpoint
Comp M3 which gives a lower 1/3 co-witness,. Because of the raised rail
on the CASV-EL this is the only type of co-witness you can achieve to my
knowledge. The RASII mount is the lowest red dot mount I've seen from
any manufacturer.
To my knowledge you have 2 options, sell the CASV-EL and get a different
rail system, or learn to like the lower 1/3 co-witness.

PS- If I remember correctly this applies even more so to an EOTech sight.

ra2bach
02-07-10, 11:49
His eyes are closed, he's using "the Force."

That poor guy, I wonder who put him up to that? :(

no wonder he's got his eyes closed, he's got his eyepro on top of his head...