PDA

View Full Version : Art of the Dynamic Handgun Review (spoiler alert)

Apollo11
02-06-10, 13:02
Just finished watching the entire set and thought I'd share some comments.

The class demographic was well thought out, by this I mean Travis and Chris put people in the class that represent a good cross section of those that carry a handgun. There were two Marines, two LEO's, Mr. Costa (a good representation of someone like my father), two sales reps (representing average Joe CCW, but with more trade experience), and a female. This mix added a lot to the DVD's as there were not all high speed operators, or all handgun beginners in the class. It gives most everyone watching something to relate to. You revolver shooters, you were given some love too with Mr. Costa shooting one the entire course.

The class does start from the building blocks of handgun fundamentals, and moves into more high speed shooting. The physics and mechanics are broken down. Through this you get the "why" answered through the "how". The fundamentals are given as a best case scnairo, and not the end all be all of shooting. This lends itself to the dynamic part of the shooting, and the fact that shit happens and you must deal with it. Recoil management was a huge part of the fundamentals phase.

There was a lot of demonstration time with Travis and Chris before the students were seen shooting. This is something I liked because you were able to see it done by one person, a few times before having to focus on one student during the drill. There was a reason given to all of the movements and drills. There was added stress to the fact that the draw, stance and body position may not be perfect in the "dynamic" world. I got the impression that Chris and Travis wanted you to know what they thought the perfect stance and shot looked like, but more importantly they wanted to show you how to adapt it into the environment.

The CCW disk was excellent; mindset was a huge plus. The burden of carrying and the responsibility were not taken lightly. From placement of the gun (hip, fanny pack, off body carry), to cover garments and weather they did a fine job. The equipment section was nice too. There was a lot of talk of why they ran Kydex vs. leather, and there was a lot of time with the M&P series of guns. Recoil of different sized platforms was also covered. The revolver was not left out, I thought this was huge, as a lot of LEO's (more senior, and back up guns) and CCW's still use one around here.

The DVD's give you a lot of drills to take with you. A BSA drill for handguns was great. Shooting movers, and shooting on the move was excellent too. The use of different positions and cover was stressed. If you think of Chris and Travis as carbine only guys that just mess with the secondary weapons system, you are wrong. They can run the handgun really well. However, I can't say this enough; you are taken into the breakdown of its done. Dynamic Handgun is not an afterthought DVD set; it stands up on its own really well.

Thanks for reading!

Mark71
02-06-10, 13:24
Thanks for the review. I am looking forward to picking this DVD up and eventually attending a Magpul class.

UDT
02-06-10, 16:20
Thanks, for sharing, a nice review.

FromMyColdDeadHand
02-06-10, 18:01
I took the handgun class last year and this is a great refresher. I have to say that facility aside, they could have filmed it in my class. Their delivery is very consistant. Nice they added a revolver to the class for the people that go that way.

"Be your weapons master, not its bitch" -I have it running in another window on my computer and Costa just gave up that gem.

The CCW disk I think is worth the price of the whole set.

Willie's outfit for her CCW scenrio is... just is. Great lesson on richochets

htxred
02-10-10, 09:51
I took the handgun class last year and this is a great refresher. I have to say that facility aside, they could have filmed it in my class. Their delivery is very consistant. Nice they added a revolver to the class for the people that go that way.

"Be your weapons master, not its bitch" -I have it running in another window on my computer and Costa just gave up that gem.

The CCW disk I think is worth the price of the whole set.

i came into this thread just to say that!!! whosever idea it was to have her in that outfit, wins the man of the year award (had to been a man)...

5pins
02-12-10, 11:57
UPS will be dropping off my copy later today. Guess what the family is watching tonight for move night.

JackOSU
02-12-10, 11:59

Yes, and not to shoot pregnant ladies.

I think she did one hell of a job. I'm sure it was tough being a young college student and new to shooting then having a camera in your face etc.

I'm a bigger fan of her range outfits myself. I know the short skirt etc was nice, but it was black and didn't show her figure as well. She is definately a hottie.

Titleist
02-12-10, 12:10
I think she did one hell of a job. I'm sure it was tough being a young college student and new to shooting then having a camera in your face etc.

I'm lucky to have known her for the last year or so before the DVDs came out. She's a sharp one, and is well deserving of the credit for going out and keeping up with those guys.

Everyone kicked ass on the DVD, and while handgun work is something I really don't enjoy (I'm a far better carbine shooter) Chris and Travis one again run a hell of a class. I'm stoked for our June Handgun 1 class.

NickB
02-12-10, 12:43
Yes, and not to shoot pregnant ladies.

I'm a bigger fan of her range outfits myself. I know the short skirt etc was nice, but it was black and didn't show her figure as well. She is definately a hottie.

To be fair, Willie is not totally new to shooting - she personally owns more guns than most men I know.

5pins
02-12-10, 14:46
To be fair, Willie is not totally new to shooting - she personally owns more guns than most men I know.

Wanted: Woman with more guns then I have. Please send picture of guns.

JLSKIP
02-12-10, 15:30
Wanted: Woman with more guns then I have. Please send picture of guns.

You made my day!

I'm really looking forward to going home and watching this, as my copy showed up yesterday!

joffe
02-13-10, 17:40
I've ordered mine now. Just wondering when this local retailer will have it in stock. :(

Trajan
02-13-10, 20:40

http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/2270/original/political-pictures-do-not-want-surprised-guy.jpg

Still don't have it, but I can already gather she won't be annoying like the woman from the first disk of AotTC who was chewing gum the entire time.

fourXfour
02-18-10, 20:13
Well, I have to say after watching the carbine videos, Chris was my favorite. Then actually taking the class and I found out who Travis was, I was all "Team Travis."

Now I feel like I just finished watching Dynamic Handgun, I am totally on "Team Willy"!!!!!

I may make a drinking game out of Dynamic Handgun and take a shot every time someone says, "Good Job Willy."

ForTehNguyen
02-20-10, 17:29
Willie was pretty distracting :D

shooter521
02-20-10, 22:17
Just finished Disc 2; two more to go. As expected, it covers a lot of the same theories and skill sets presented in the carbine DVDs and in class, but fleshes things out in even greater detail and throws in some new handgun-specific stuff, too. Can't wait to plug in Discs 3 and 4, and I am getting REALLY amped for class in May! :cool:

TEXAS_GLOCKER
02-21-10, 00:44
Awesome vids as usual, I too cant wait for class, mine is in June in Pueblo...:D

SPDGG
02-21-10, 17:11
In Route, Cant wait

CplHicks
02-22-10, 08:21
Hopefully mine will be with me soon

shooter521
02-22-10, 10:08
Finished the last two discs this weekend. I found the Concealed Carry block on Disc 3 to be very worthwhile; the guns and gear discussions less so. And the outtakes on Disc 4 were an absolute riot; it is these sorts of things that allow the viewer to see that Chris and Travis are human, after all, and aren't always as intense as they might appear to be in the instructional portion of the video.