PDA

View Full Version : SR-15 IWS Lower and Magpul Grips

jeffreywt
02-06-10, 14:07
This is a great lower. I am truly in love with it. The other lower I have that I built is great and I'm very proud of it but, the SR-15 lower tickles me in the pants. The KAC 2 stage trigger and ambi controls are fantastic.

http://www.smallarmsales.com/KNIGHT_S_ARMAMENT_SR_15_IWS_LOWER_RECEIVER_ASSY_p/25780.htm

One thing to be aware of is: It has integrated QD sockets. Because of this, the spring and detent for the rear take down pin is relocated. It it held in place by the pistol grip and not the receiver end plate. While putting a MIAD grip on the lower, I had to take an old A2 pistol grip and carve a chunk of plastic out of it to fill the hole in the top of the MIAD grip. Otherwise the rear take down pin was not held in place securely.

I don't know if the MOE grip is gapless across the top or not. The MIAD has gaps because of the changeable panels and does not capture the take down pin spring properly.

DRKWNG
02-06-10, 22:42
I am curious about this as well, as I just put a deposit down on one of these rifles. From what I have heard, the MIAD is the most likely to have a problem due to the empty cavity in the rear of the grip. This cavity apparently does not provide enough material to secure the springs well enough. I am curious how my Ergo grip will work...

Belmont31R
02-07-10, 02:26
What most people have been doing is taking some epoxy, and then filling in the gap. Sand/file to bevel it off, and then install the grip.

Its just the way the two parts are designed. Most grips should fit so long as they are solid in that area. I put a LaRue/Magpul UDE kit on my SR15, and the MOE grip does not have this issue as its solid where the spring is. The MOE grip is the same size as the MIAD with the medium back strap. But if you really want to use a MIAD the fix is pretty simple.

DRKWNG
02-07-10, 03:11
That's what I had heard. My problem is that the MOE does not fit my hand very well. The MIAD is ok, but I really like the Ergo grip better. So I guess I will see how that one goes on once the 12 remaining days are up...

jeffreywt
02-07-10, 11:00
Yep, a simple fix indeed but I figured it was worth mentioning. Folks might do what I did and say "WTF is this second spring, ohh I see!"

:)

Titleist
02-07-10, 12:27
Here's how I fixed it for my SR-15:

http://lawndartdesign.com/guns/MIAD_mod1.jpg

JMFM0911
05-01-12, 05:37
Is there a picture thread on fixing this issue?
n/m found it. I knew something didn't seem right when i installed my MIAD, glad i researched it before i decided to shoot it..

hotrodder636
05-01-12, 08:08
I am not familiar with what is being discussed here. I changed out the OEM grip for a Magpul MOE and there were "spring locations" in the grip. I am able to perform all necessary functional checks without any mods to the MOE, furthermore, I have no issues with retaining or operating the takedown pin. Is this something Magpul fixed (I bought mine late 2011)? What am I missing?

JMFM0911
05-01-12, 08:25
I am not familiar with what is being discussed here. I changed out the OEM grip for a Magpul MOE and there were "spring locations" in the grip. I am able to perform all necessary functional checks without any mods to the MOE, furthermore, I have no issues with retaining or operating the takedown pin. Is this something Magpul fixed (I bought mine late 2011)? What am I missing?

I think the issue is with the MIAD and not the MOE.
I got the MIAD and am trying to figure out what to do. Is there another pin besides the one for the safty under the 2nd spring on the SR-15?

JMFM0911
05-01-12, 15:12
Nothing a hot glue gun couldn't handle!

TehLlama
05-01-12, 17:50
Epoxy is best, hot glue and RTV tend to remain a little bit squishy.

I wound up using it as an excuse to try the MOE grip, and I've been happy with those since - my wife pirated all my IWS lowers, and the MIAD B1/MOE size is correct for her.

JMFM0911
05-01-12, 18:16
Epoxy is best, hot glue and RTV tend to remain a little bit squishy.

I wound up using it as an excuse to try the MOE grip, and I've been happy with those since - my wife pirated all my IWS lowers, and the MIAD B1/MOE size is correct for her.

I did order a MOE at work today, so if my glue don't hold up i'll have back up. I think it will be ok though.
What kind of Epoxy would you recommend?

TehLlama
05-01-12, 18:39
I've had a stock of the boring two-part from the hardware store for a while, and it works. Toothpick and credit card or card stock paper is all you'd need to make it pretty.