PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Mumbai Terrorist Attack

Jedburgh
02-06-10, 14:47
I've recently completed a research project on the Mumbai Attack of November 2008 for a client. I thought that I'd post an unclassified version here for those interested. The file is about 1.5 MB so it will take a second to load. You can download it here - Mumbai Attack Reconstruction (http://jedburgh-usa.com/mumbai-attack-november-2008/).

It's actually two files, a presentation with maps followed by a timeline and order of battle. You'll need adobe reader to view the files.

DOL

Spurholder
02-06-10, 14:53
I gave it a quick scan (just downloaded it a few minutes ago), but will print it and read it tonight. It looks promising - thanks for posting this!

ETA: read it last night - good stuff! Again, thanks for posting :)

CarlosDJackal
02-06-10, 18:51
Very nice. Now to find the time to read it in detail.

Thanks for sharing!

ForTehNguyen
02-06-10, 21:46
thanks for sharing, ill take a look at it later and send it to some friends

VooDoo6Actual
02-06-10, 21:48
Jedburgh,

I have the OSAC report on Mumbai as well in case you do not already have.

/break/

Ping w/ your email vector if you need. If not disregard.

Hop out

Cold Zero
02-07-10, 05:36
I've recently completed a research project on the Mumbai Attack of November 2008 for a client. I thought that I'd post an unclassified version here for those interested. The file is about 1.5 MB so it will take a second to load. You can download it here - Mumbai Attack Reconstruction (http://jedburgh-usa.com/mumbai-attack-november-2008/).

It's actually two files, a presentation with maps followed by a timeline and order of battle. You'll need adobe reader to view the files.

DOL

Well done report. Thanks for posting that.

VooDoo6Actual
02-08-10, 12:27
Jedburgh,

email shot out.

Jedburgh
02-08-10, 15:05
Gentlemen,

Thanks for responses and feedback. I've gotten a ton of emails and requests for additional info. If you haven't heard back from me, give me another day or so and I'll get you squared away.

DOL

GermanSynergy
02-08-10, 17:49
Jedburgh,
Very impressive report. It answered alot of my questions in terms of the OOB and personal armaments of the tangos, etc.

jakjakman
02-09-10, 09:49
Wow. I had no idea of the depth and planning behind the attack and how involved it was.

Just some passing curiosity on a couple things, I'll understand if that information is part of the classified stuff.
1. Any more info on how the assaulters were trained?
2. Any statistics on the counter-assault teams' casualties?

Thanks for making that report available to us.

ForTehNguyen
02-09-10, 10:03
i read this report a few days ago, very impressive at the detail of it.

Jedburgh
02-09-10, 10:17
jakjakman,

The information on training that the BGs received is mostly anecdotal. The only hard information comes from one source, the captured terrorist Kasab. You could argue whether his motives are pure to provide accurate information...

What he indicated to his Indian captors is the assault team was selected during a training process that spanned four different camps in Pakistan. At the completion of each "phase" of training, the best candidates were selected to attend the next step. The result was a group of the best and brightest thirteen recruits. From this group of thirteen, six were selected and deployed for a mission in Kashmir (I don't have any additional information on that mission or results). The remaining 7 were joined by three newcomers (among them, the operational leader Ishmail Khan). These ten made up the Mumbai assault team.

The information about casualties comes from the official Indian report. There were 18 policemen killed and 33 wounded. Among them 2 NSG "Black Cat Commando's" were killed (1 at the Nariman House and 1 at the Taj), and 2 wounded at the Oberoi.

DOL

jakjakman
02-09-10, 12:51
jakjakman,

The information on training that the BGs received is mostly anecdotal. The only hard information comes from one source, the captured terrorist Kasab. You could argue whether his motives are pure to provide accurate information...

What he indicated to his Indian captors is the assault team was selected during a training process that spanned four different camps in Pakistan. At the completion of each "phase" of training, the best candidates were selected to attend the next step. The result was a group of the best and brightest thirteen recruits. From this group of thirteen, six were selected and deployed for a mission in Kashmir (I don't have any additional information on that mission or results). The remaining 7 were joined by three newcomers (among them, the operational leader Ishmail Khan). These ten made up the Mumbai assault team.

The information about casualties comes from the official Indian report. There were 18 policemen killed and 33 wounded. Among them 2 NSG "Black Cat Commando's" were killed (1 at the Nariman House and 1 at the Taj), and 2 wounded at the Oberoi.

DOL

Thanks again for the information, I appreciate it. Again, this report really was an eye-opener for me, I remember when the attack happened and the news, but I had no idea how bad it really was.

Jedburgh
02-11-10, 14:51
I updated the website to include a discussion on the implications of a Mumbai-style attack as it relates to active shooter protocol. You can read about it here. (http://jedburgh-usa.com/counter-terrorism-tactics-for-law-enforcement/)

DOL