PDA

View Full Version : General consensus on Ameriglo Operators?

kaltblitz
02-06-10, 15:02
What is the general consensus on Ameriglo Operators?

I've been using 3-Dot nightsights for so long now that I've decided I'm actually slower with dot over dot or front dot only.

These sights are going to go on a Glock 19 and I want them as concealable as possible, but with a flat front face. I'm think I'm going to go with the Operators and was just wondering if anyone else is running them and how they compare with Trijicons and Meps.

og556
02-06-10, 15:11
I have been running the green front/yellow rear sight operators for a while now on my G19 and have been extremely pleased with this set-up. This particular set-up has been a great balance of speed and accuracy in all lighting conditions.

The white outline on the front sight with black rear sight (tritium inserts only) makes it very fast to acquire a clear sight picture.

My only complaint would be the white ring around the front sight seems to get dirty with carbon but thats no big deal.

jeffreywt
02-06-10, 15:21
I have a set of the pro series, operator sights on my G19. I like them. The pro series pushes the rear dots to the rear of the slide for a bit more sight radius.

FWIW, Ameriglo uses Trijicon vials in their sights.

tusk212
02-06-10, 15:26
I run a set of the operators (Green front, yellow rear) on both my Glock 17 and 21. I have been very pleased with them. I ran the 17 through a qualification and shot it very well.

Oscar 319
02-06-10, 15:50
I have a pair of Bowie Tactical Operators on my M&P45, amber/green combo.

So far, so good. I really like these sights, however. the amber/green (for lack of a better term) confuses my eyes in the dark. I believe this is due to using 3 dot Triji's on all my guns for over a decade. This seems to be getting much better the more I train with them.

Like you (kaltblizt), I could not get into the straight 8's. I guess you can't teach old eyes new tricks?

Front sight acquisition is very fast for me with the Operator sights. At least for the M&P, I like them better than the Trijicon's/Novaks.

rob_s
02-06-10, 15:52
Thanks for reminding me, I want to order a luminova front and plain black rear.

Palmguy
02-06-10, 16:29
What is the general consensus on Ameriglo Operators?

I've been using 3-Dot nightsights for so long now that I've decided I'm actually slower with dot over dot or front dot only.

These sights are going to go on a Glock 19 and I want them as concealable as possible, but with a flat front face. I'm think I'm going to go with the Operators and was just wondering if anyone else is running them and how they compare with Trijicons and Meps.

I use Pro Operators on my Glocks and I love them. The Pro designation means a wider rear notch and that combined with the white outline only on the front is preferable to me to more traditional setups.

Shawn.L
02-06-10, 16:43
I have been running the green front/yellow rear sight operators for a while now on my G19 and have been extremely pleased with this set-up. This particular set-up has been a great balance of speed and accuracy in all lighting conditions.

The white outline on the front sight with black rear sight (tritium inserts only) makes it very fast to acquire a clear sight picture.

My only complaint would be the white ring around the front sight seems to get dirty with carbon but thats no big deal.

what he said :)

maximus83
02-06-10, 16:51
I have also been running the Bowie Tactical Operators with green front/yellow rear in my M&P Pro and my 9C. The acquisition is incredibly fast for me, and one bonus I had not expected is that the front sight with the large white ring around it, combined with the more muted and smaller dots on the rear sights, makes it really easy to see for daytime shooting as well. For me, these are the easiest-to-see and fastest-to-acquire night sights that I have owned.

Soon I'll be getting one of the new PT M&P 9's, with the Warren Tactical 2-dot sight setup. This will be a nice opportunity to compare these 2 sight formats and see which works best for me.

harrydog
02-06-10, 17:20
I have also been running the Bowie Tactical Operators with green front/yellow rear in my M&P Pro and my 9C. The acquisition is incredibly fast for me, and one bonus I had not expected is that the front sight with the large white ring around it, combined with the more muted and smaller dots on the rear sights, makes it really easy to see for daytime shooting as well. For me, these are the easiest-to-see and fastest-to-acquire night sights that I have owned.

Same for me. I have them on my M&P and I like them better than any other sights I've owned. I wish they were available for my HK45.

Dave Berryhill
02-06-10, 17:37
Does Ameriglo install their own tritium or do they have someone like Trijicon install the tritium lamps into the sights?

kaltblitz
02-06-10, 17:54
They use Trijicon tubes.

calvin118
02-06-10, 18:20
Same for me. I have them on my M&P and I like them better than any other sights I've owned. I wish they were available for my HK45.

Exactly the same for me.

SpeedRacer
02-06-10, 20:39
I have the Bowie's on my M&P-9c and love them. I prefer the Classic (white outline) and run green front/yellow rear. I shoot better and faster with these sights than any others I've used. I'm sold on the Ameriglos and have ordered this setup to replace other tritium sights on all of my other defensive handguns.

Drew78
02-07-10, 07:16
Thanks for reminding me, I want to order a luminova front and plain black rear.

Do it!!! It is a great sight package. I have the Square, orange Lumanova front sight with a Pro rear-plain serrated black. Front sight is very fast to aquire and stay on top of durring the recoil impulse to get back on. Although I dont do it with any regularity, other than novelty, if you hit that front with some bright light, it really GLOWS. Had mine for about a year or so and am a big fan. :D

-Drew

Steve S.
03-02-11, 02:21
Sorry to bump this thread but what was the consensus on the Ameriglo Operators? M&P inparticular.

Also has anyone ran both these and the Warren 2dots for a comparison?

Finally do the Warrens rear sight allow for single hand malfunction clearance? It would appear they dont unless the design changed.

Edit** Anywhere that stocks the Ameriglos right now? It appears they are sold out of the Operators. Does Bowie Tactical usually ship quickly?

Magsz
03-02-11, 06:59
The warrens feature a generous ledge. You will have no issues racking the slide one handed.

Bob RI
03-02-11, 09:35
Sorry to bump this thread but what was the consensus on the Ameriglo Operators? M&P inparticular.

Also has anyone ran both these and the Warren 2dots for a comparison?

Finally do the Warrens rear sight allow for single hand malfunction clearance? It would appear they dont unless the design changed.

Edit** Anywhere that stocks the Ameriglos right now? It appears they are sold out of the Operators. Does Bowie Tactical usually ship quickly?

I really like them on my 2 M&P's (9 & 45) - no experience with the Warren 2 dots. I emailed Bowie and he is out (or was a couple of days ago)...I'm waiting on a set for my latest M&P.

kjdoski
03-02-11, 12:38
Kevin - I'm running the Ameriglo Pro-Glo orange front with their Operator amber rears. I really like the set up, as does everyone else I know who's used it...

Regards,

Kevin

maximus83
03-02-11, 15:24
Hey Beretta, I have current M&P's running the Ameriglo Pro Operator set, and the 2-dot Warrens.

The 2-dots are OK, but the 3-dot Operators are much preferred for 2 reasons: faster acquisition, and I get better results when shooting for accuracy.

Longhorn
03-02-11, 15:48
Hey Beretta, I have current M&P's running the Ameriglo Pro Operator set, and the 2-dot Warrens.

The 2-dots are OK, but the 3-dot Operators are much preferred for 2 reasons: faster acquisition, and I get better results when shooting for accuracy.

You might not have the answer, but anyone who's ran the 3-dot versions of both the Warrens and the Ameriglos what's their preference?

I'm leaning towards the Ameriglo's simply for price (if I can find someone with the amber rears in stock before we qualify in ~3 weeks.)

But there's something about the Warrens that I like...

Steve S.
03-02-11, 21:37

Thank you. just the info I was looking for. Same thoughts I had.

If anyone can find the Operators in amber/green for M&P9 in stock shoot me a PM please.

maximus83
03-03-11, 02:17
Beretta, here's a site where I ordered my green/yellow operators sets. You can choose the set you want from the drop-down:

http://www.southernpoliceequipment.com/shop/default.asp?h=c&c=7&id=1360

darno
03-03-11, 19:21
Beretta, here's a site where I ordered my green/yellow operators sets. You can choose the set you want from the drop-down:

http://www.southernpoliceequipment.com/shop/default.asp?h=c&c=7&id=1360

I ordered the green/yellow operators from these guys over 4 weeks ago. The day after ordering I get the email that they "just ran out. Will ship in 2 to 3 weeks." I called after week 2 and they said "Yeah, we should be able to ship out in about 3 days." I called after week 3and they said, "Huh, another guy just called waiting for his too. I'll get right on it." At week 4.5 I'm anxiously awaiting my Operators. They were very nice each time I called though.

Toyoland66
03-03-11, 22:17
You might not have the answer, but anyone who's ran the 3-dot versions of both the Warrens and the Ameriglos what's their preference?

I'm leaning towards the Ameriglo's simply for price (if I can find someone with the amber rears in stock before we qualify in ~3 weeks.)

But there's something about the Warrens that I like...

X2

I am trying to decide between the Warren 3 dots, and the ameriglo pro operators (possibly with a pro glo front)

Do the pro operators allow for 1 hand racking?

littlejerry
03-03-11, 23:24
X2

I am trying to decide between the Warren 3 dots, and the ameriglo pro operators (possibly with a pro glo front)

Do the pro operators allow for 1 hand racking?

I have the Warren 2 dots but I can offer some first hand experience:

I love the Warrens. The .150/.125 ratio works very well along with the subdued rear and highlighted front. The rounded corners also does help your eye focus on the front sight.

Initially the 2 dot setup was a bit... odd... and took some getting used to. Also the height of the sights was a bit disorienting. I was used to indexing off of the slide and shifting my focus to the front sight- this does not work with the taller sights from Warren, Heinie, 10-8, etc..

Now that I have become accustomed to the height and 2-dot setup my only real complaint is the SHARP rear corner of the Warren rear sight. With the corner being behind the back it really is sticking out there and frequently catches on my clothing. It has even torn a hole in one of my flannel button-down shirts. Take note that I am not an officer of any agency- I am only a lowly citizen who carries a concealed weapon.

Based on my experience with the Warrens my next set of sights will have many of the same atributes- a .150 rear with .125 or less front and subdued rear with highlighted front. I will however seek out a rear sight that does NOT extend to the rear of the slide.

If I were to do it again I would try combining the Ameriglo Operator(NOT the PRO Operator) rear with their front .125 night sight. This is the same ratio as the Warren sights but without the added height and potential for snagging that the Warren rear sight has.

Evolution
03-04-11, 13:38
Anyone have a link for the Ameriglo Pro Operator? I've been doing google searches and find Ameriglo, but nothing on pro operator. Same with Warren Tactical, I can't seem to find any two dot sights.

Thanks.

redfernsoljah
03-04-11, 14:29
AmeriGlow Pro Operator (http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/complete-sets/pro-operator)

Warren Tactical (http://www.warrentactical.com/)

Now Warren doesn't really have good descriptions on there page at all. You will have to look at one of his dealers.

littlejerry
03-04-11, 17:49
SKD has some good pictures of Warrens:

http://www.skdtac.com/Warren_Tactical_Sight_Tritium_2_Dot_Set_p/wrt.202.htm

Longhorn
03-05-11, 13:07
I have the Warren 2 dots but I can offer some first hand experience:

I love the Warrens. The .150/.125 ratio works very well along with the subdued rear and highlighted front. The rounded corners also does help your eye focus on the front sight.

Initially the 2 dot setup was a bit... odd... and took some getting used to. Also the height of the sights was a bit disorienting. I was used to indexing off of the slide and shifting my focus to the front sight- this does not work with the taller sights from Warren, Heinie, 10-8, etc..

Now that I have become accustomed to the height and 2-dot setup my only real complaint is the SHARP rear corner of the Warren rear sight. With the corner being behind the back it really is sticking out there and frequently catches on my clothing. It has even torn a hole in one of my flannel button-down shirts. Take note that I am not an officer of any agency- I am only a lowly citizen who carries a concealed weapon.

Based on my experience with the Warrens my next set of sights will have many of the same atributes- a .150 rear with .125 or less front and subdued rear with highlighted front. I will however seek out a rear sight that does NOT extend to the rear of the slide.

If I were to do it again I would try combining the Ameriglo Operator(NOT the PRO Operator) rear with their front .125 night sight. This is the same ratio as the Warren sights but without the added height and potential for snagging that the Warren rear sight has.

I'm assuming based on your measurements you're referring to the Glock sights. Although I'm looking at the M&P versions, your input is helpful.

Both the Ameriglo and Warrens extend to the rear of the slide (in the M&P) so I'm not that worried about snagging if I went with Warrens, besides this will be on a duty gun anyway and it'll ride in a Safariland.

Unless someone has the ProGlo/Operator (or reg green) front w/ yellow rears in stock this coming week, I'll probably end up with the Warrens.

Toyoland66
03-05-11, 16:45
I emailed Rick @ ameriglo on Monday 2.28 and he said the pro op rears for G21 etc will be back in stock in about a week.