PDA

View Full Version : How long after LASEK to shoot?

jvencius
02-06-10, 16:06
I'm tentatively scheduled for LASEK surgery in September and I'm wondering, for those of you who have had refractive surgery, how long after getting zapped did you have to wait before going back to the range? I intend to FULLY comply with the doc's orders/recommendations since I don't want to foul up my $6K investment but if I have some expectation of how long I won't be able to safely shoot, that'll help with the post-op waiting period.

slustan
02-06-10, 16:13
Just had mine done three weeks ago. I went from around 20/400 to 20/15 in my left eye and 20/20 in the right. When I went for my follow up after 5 days the only restrictions were no swimming or hot tubs. I went shooting the day after. :D

Just follow the doctors orders and keep up on the eye drops, I always have a small bottle on me. Probably one of the best things I've ever done and well worth the money. It's strange at first, i still find myself occasionally reaching for a pair of glasses in the morning instinctively. Invest in some quality eye protection as well! You'll love it!

m4fun
02-06-10, 16:18
Got mine done last March and had a LAV AK class like a month later - I think I even took the one of the walk backs with my SLR-106/T1 combo.

It rocks! Still am dealing with a bit of dry eye. Finally got on a persription for Restasis(sp?) for the past 2 week. Said it will take a while to get going.

That said - I love it.

jvencius
02-06-10, 16:37
Got mine done last March and had a LAV AK class like a month later - I think I even took the one of the walk backs with my SLR-106/T1 combo.

It rocks! Still am dealing with a bit of dry eye. Finally got on a persription for Restasis(sp?) for the past 2 week. Said it will take a while to get going.

That said - I love it.

Cool--from all that I've read, this is truly a life-changing surgery and well worth every penny. The surgeon I've decided to go with is the Corneal Department Co-Chair at the #2-rated eye hospital in the country so he's far from cheap (like I wrote earlier,--$6K for both eyes) but I feel comfortable with a doctor with his C.V. zapping me. Deciding to get LASEK means that for nearly a year I have to put off any cool gun stuff/hotrod truck parts/etc. but especially if I go back in the military after nursing school, the freedom of not needing glasses or bootleg contacts in a deployed/austere environment would be a mission-enhancer.

JSantoro
02-06-10, 20:58
When I got mine, I stayed up the entire previous night so I'd sleep, got a hotel room near the place I was getting the surgery done, drove in, got the surgery, the hit the hotel to take a nap.

Blurry alarm clock when I hit the rack, clear as a bell when I woke up 6hrs later, and I was ready to shoot right then, and did the next day.

I didn't have a problem with dry eyes, but the halo effect around point light sources at night (street lights, headlights, etc.) was a bit disconcerting. That went away within the 90-120 day window the doc said it would.

The good news about the pricier guys is that they generally have the very most recent software that allows them to survey the surface of your eye a closely as possible. This translates into their being able to belt-sand away exactly what they need to IOT get you your best possible results. That, and I'm presuming that this guy is an ophthalmic surgeon, right? Also good, because in the less-than-1% of cases in which complications develop, he can fix them right on the spot.

You won't regret it. Pound for pound, some of the best money I've ever spent.

jvencius
02-06-10, 21:20
When I got mine, I stayed up the entire previous night so I'd sleep, got a hotel room near the place I was getting the surgery done, drove in, got the surgery, the hit the hotel to take a nap.

I'm out in CA now (wife is active AF stationed here) but I'd fly back to Philly since I could crash at Mom and Dad's house afterwards and stay there for a week to do the initial follow-up appointments.

...the halo effect around point light sources at night (street lights, headlights, etc.) was a bit disconcerting. That went away within the 90-120 day window the doc said it would.

The good thing about wavefront/custom surgery like I'm scheduled for is that since the laser treats a larger area to accommodate the pt's actual pupil size when dilated, halos at night aren't really much of a problem anymore.

That, and I'm presuming that this guy is an ophthalmic surgeon, right? Also good, because in the less-than-1% of cases in which complications develop, he can fix them right on the spot.

Yep, and he's a good one. My sis has access to the medical school library where she's going to school and she pulled some of the (many) articles he's written--apparently he wrote a big piece of the pretty-much-standard ophthalmic textbook so that'll be a comfort as he's blasting away parts of my eyeballs with a laser...

rjacobs
02-07-10, 11:43
Are you having LASIK or LASEK?

To the others that posted did you all have LASIK or LASEK?

They are two different procedures. LASIK heals up very quickly, LASEK/PRK takes 5-7 days initially and then 6-8 weeks for full healing.

I had LASEK done and I would say dont rush anything. I had one eye done at a time with 2 weeks in between eyes. Also, take every medication they give you and dont skip any. I would say it really took 2 months before my vision stabilized. I had eye exams done after two weeks and then every two weeks after that(getting your eye's dilated with mil strength medicine sucks-48 hours of dilation) for 2 months then I had them once a month for the next year to make sure everything worked. I was trying to go into the AF to fly and they had just started allowing LASEK/PRK so this was the process recommended to me. It sucked but 6 years later I have zero issues.

slustan
02-07-10, 11:59
I had lasik. I went to bed right after the procedure and woke up to a whole new world! :D

JSantoro
02-07-10, 12:13
Yeah, LASIK here, too.

Wasn't keen on the idea of somebody taking the equivalent of a miniature bench grinder to my eyes. Especially after one of our guys ended up SIQ for a week+, with the shades drawn, towels stuffed under doors and popping vicodin by the handful. At one point, PRK is all that Navy medicine would pony up for. Not sure if that's changed.

I know that the PRK procedure's changed since then, but at that time, not only no, but HELL NO.

rjacobs
02-07-10, 12:22
Yeah, LASIK here, too.

Wasn't keen on the idea of somebody taking the equivalent of a miniature bench grinder to my eyes. Especially after one of our guys ended up SIQ for a week+, with the shades drawn, towels stuffed under doors and popping vicodin by the handful. At one point, PRK is all that Navy medicine would pony up for. Not sure if that's changed.

I know that the PRK procedure's changed since then, but at that time, not only no, but HELL NO.

PRK and LASEK are almost identical. As far as I understand it nobody is doing real PRK anymore and have all moved to LASEK. Mine was billed as PRK, but the eye doc said it was LASEK.

jvencius
02-07-10, 14:47
Are you having LASIK or LASEK?

I'm actually having Advanced Surface Ablation which is pretty much the same thing as LASEK or custom PRK but w/an alcohol solution instead of the brush to remove the epithelium. The doc's office I'm going with said that since the epithelium is devitalized once they take it off the corneal surface, replacing it doesn't really help recovery so they just remove it completely instead of setting it to the side and replacing it once the ablation is done.

On a side note, they said (and quite a few of the other surgeons I spoke with as well) that they're trending away from doing LASIK towards ASA. ASA's slightly longer recovery time, in their opinion, is offset by the safety that comes from not having to cut a LASIK flap and the fact you can do it on thinner corneas.

rjacobs
02-07-10, 14:50
Yea they didnt replace the epithelial layer on my eye when they were done. Simply let it grow back. That was the reason for only doing one eye at a time since while the layer is growing back you cant see well at all through it, sort of like a scab on a cut.

Captains1911
02-07-10, 15:09
I wish I could afford Lasek:(

jvencius
02-07-10, 17:53
I wish I could afford Lasek:(

If I kept up my previous patters of pissing away money in little stuff (i.e. buying a couple mags every time I went to the gun shop) then I wouldn't be able to afford it but once I made the decision to get laser-zapped, it was pretty easy to give up those little luxuries. It's still a whole wheelbarrow of bucks and I'll have to save for nearly a year, but with that long of a timeframe to prepare, I'll be able to afford it.

12glocks
02-07-10, 18:33
The Ophthalmologist who performed my custom LASIK is a competitive shooter. I asked him when I could shoot sporting clays again, typically 100 + rounds. He said I could do it the next day.

Of course with LASIK, they cut a corneal flap (~ 12 mm) and ablate below the flap to remodel the corneal contour. The corneal flap coming of is the risk with this procedure (infections are extremely rare). Corneal tissue is perhaps the most rapidly healing tissue in the body.

With procedures like PRK, they rough up the surface of the cornea and it remodels itself. You don't have to worry about a flap coming off. I doubt corneal remodeling would be harmed by recoil. It will take longer for your correction to come in with your proposed procedure, I'd say a month at the outside.

I had LASIK and have been 20/15 since the day after. I had a friend get PRK and he had a couple of rough weeks, required oral steroids for weeks, but he is a solid 20/20 now.

Preferred User
02-07-10, 22:00
The biggest issue is forgetting to blink. It does not matter if you are staring at a computer screen, staring down the road driving or staring through a scope, you have to blink and keep your eyes moist following either procedure.

JSantoro
02-08-10, 00:11
Ahh, the steroids. I had drops of some sort, in addition to some normal wetting drops.

Took them like a good little boy, but it was a bit disconcerting to plop them in my eyes and have this gawd-awful taste crop up in the back of my throat.

MSP "Sarge"
02-08-10, 21:13
Had it done on a thursday and was shooting precision rifle on saturday. Best $3900 I ever spent. I was able to see better as soon as I got up off the table. I use the SYSTANE Preservative Free Drops 3-4 times a day.

justin_247
02-10-10, 03:25
I had custom Epi-LASIK with the Star S4 laser system used by the USAF... it's a version of advanced stromal ablation, like PRK and LASEK. With PRK, they use an brush to remove the epithelial cells on the surface. In LASEK, they use alcohol to create a sheet and then after they hit your eye with the laser they slide it back across the eye. In Epi-LASIK, they use a dull blade called an epikeratome to remove the cells and then when they're done they slide it back like they do in LASEK. After all of these procedures they put in a soft contact lens until all the epithelial cells have regenerated. Some studies have shown that Epi-LASIK kills less epithelial cells than LASEK and that this results in slightly faster healing times. It's debatable... either way, these procedures take slightly more time to heal and get your best vision other procedures, usually about a week for the initial healing and then between one and six months for your eyes to reach their maximum potential.

LASIK is a form of intra-stromal ablation, and they use a microkeratome or laser to slice a sheet which they fold over. At this point, they ablate the eye and then fold the sheet back over. Since they damaged very few epithelial cells, you tend to recover more quickly and less painfully. However, there is always the danger that the flap can come loose again since it never heals, which is why many military specialties don't allow it, yet. It's a small chance, but it's still there, and that's why I stayed away from it. Regardless, you'll get as good of results with LASIK as you would with some form of PRK.

I spoke with the director of the Navy's program, Dr. David Tanzer, before I had surgery, and he recommended that I get a prescription from the doctor for Neurontin for the pain and take one pill before the surgery and then keep taking it for five days past the surgery. The stuff blows opiates away! I didn't feel *any* pain at any point in my recovery, except for one time when I slept too long and the Neurontin had worn off and it felt like I was getting stabbed in the eye. I highly recommend you get a prescription for this if you get PRK/LASEK/Epi-LASIK.

I was driving short trips within 3 days of the surgery, but not well until about 7 days. You should be able to shoot in about the same time, but don't be surprised if your vision hasn't fully improved at that point. Give it a month and wear really good sunglasses when you're outside (like Oakleys).

It was the best money I think I've ever spent and I would do it again.

jvencius
03-16-10, 11:15
I'm excited--I just got off the phone with the surgeon's office and I'm on their for-sure surgery schedule for 9 September! Fortunately I was mistaken re: the costs and I'll "only" have to spend $4,500 to get zapped, not the $6K I anticipated so that means I'm quite a bit closer than I had anticipated to having enough dough saved. I've been waiting on this for what seems like 1/2 of forever so knowing that I'm <6 months from not having to wear glasses again is incredibly exciting.:D:D:D