PDA

View Full Version : Wanna shorter 7.62x39, change barrel or upper?

Dust
02-06-10, 20:08
I picked up a M1sales upper in x39, and really like it, but I kinda want something shorter. Been reading, and some people are getting decent accuracy out of 16" barrels. My question is, should i get a new barrel, gas block and tube, or just buy another upper? I am not a high volume shooter in the least. Want a pig/deer gun, and think the 16" m4 or middy would be easier to carry in the woods. Maybe a trade would work too. Also, what will the fps and sound differences be?

Hang-Fire
02-26-10, 00:48
I guess it depends on what you really want. Is the upper you have now 20 inch? I currently have a 16 inch M-4 type in that caliber. It seems accurate enough, but I haven't yet had the opportunity to put some optics on it to see exactly how accurate it can be. I myself have been thinking of getting an upper in that caliber for my SBR'd lower.

Dust
02-26-10, 01:01
It's 20, and was thinking about using it as a carbine, but i seem to be drawn to the 5.45x39 as a carbine instead. Was thinking about the 16" for a walking deer pig gun.

Dust
03-07-10, 08:30
May have found a 16" in Texas. Still interested in info though

fixer
03-10-10, 07:40
set the wayback machine to the day before you bought it, go back and tell yourself to get the 16" instead of the 20" :D

err, i'd think a 16: middy would be a better choice.

you don't say if you have the tools to swap the barrel. if not, then a complete upper is a simpler choice.