PDA

View Full Version : high cut front strap - how high can u go?

yallknowho
02-06-10, 22:27
I see different smiths cut them in different ways, chopped with a hard angle, some are rounded, some are less high than others. What do you guys think of the different options out there? Who can cut the strap the highest?

theJanitor
02-06-10, 23:01
i assume you're talking about 1911's. and all the good smiths can handle a file. so it's not about WHO can cut it the highest. they all can. but they cut it to a point where they feel functionality and aesthetics are both optimized.

i've had high cut straps from a few smiths, and it really doesn't matter to me

VooDoo6Actual
02-06-10, 23:22
Some smithy's actually remove material up under the trigger guard shaped like a portion of a round cylinder.

The theory/rational is to get a higher & closer bore axis index with trgger hand.

It can be a personal thing.

/break/

What works for one shooter may not work for the other.

YMMV....HTH...

M4Fundi
02-07-10, 03:22
This guy is great and the articles on his site are very informative... not suer if there is a high cut article but you might check.

http://www.harrisoncustom.com/Home.aspx

Ned Christiansen
02-07-10, 10:28
You can cut it so high you break into the trigger track cut inside the frame..... I know because I've repaired on that came in, broken-through.

So how high can it go? As high as in the above case, minus, say, 030:.....;)

yallknowho
02-07-10, 14:06
I like this cut a lot:

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff297/ormd/IMG_1278.jpg

It's from the 1911 pic thread, I guess Pete Single did it. Does he have a website?

mgraff
02-17-10, 00:42
Pete Single does not have a web site..and last I knew only takes work from selected other smiths. I maybe wrong and this may have changed but I don't think so. Rumor is he checkers alot of frames for other builders, as well as builds guns for a few customers. Talked to him once at length nice guy, VERY knowledgeable about the 1911, machining, welding and all things metal.

Steve_Morrison
02-17-10, 14:59
The photo above is a good example of about as high as you can go without cutting into the trigger track and/or weakening the frame as mentioned by Ned. Note how the high cut comes higher than the trigger guard, another optical clue is the line directly below the magazine catch. Like hoploethos said, it'e entirely a matter of preference.