PDA

View Full Version : Anywhere to get spare MIAD backstrap pin?

Outlander Systems
02-06-10, 22:29
I was installing a MIAD for my father and somehow we've managed to lose the backstrap retaining pin.

Does anyone have any idea where to pick up just the pin, without having to order another MIAD?

Sone
02-06-10, 22:44
call magpul, I am sure they can stick it in an envelope for you

USMC03
02-07-10, 06:11
Let me look in my parts box. I think I have an extra. If I don't get back with you by this afternoon, drop me a PM and remind me.

Bimmer
02-07-10, 12:06
Do you really need it?

I installed my backstrap, and then knocked the pin out to try a different backstrap. The backstraps seemed to stay put without the pin, so I just left it out...

My daughter is going to need the skinny (A2ish) backstrap, but I like the fat one, so I want to be able to swap them in and out easily.

Bimmer

Outlander Systems
02-07-10, 14:48
Do you really need it?

I installed my backstrap, and then knocked the pin out to try a different backstrap. The backstraps seemed to stay put without the pin, so I just left it out...

My daughter is going to need the skinny (A2ish) backstrap, but I like the fat one, so I want to be able to swap them in and out easily.

Bimmer

Yeah, unfortunately I do. The backstrap will slip off easily without the pin, which usually isn't the case with the others I've installed.

Let me look in my parts box. I think I have an extra. If I don't get back with you by this afternoon, drop me a PM and remind me.

Thanks Jeff, if you do, you'd be my hero.

I find myself needing the silliest stuff that's extremely difficult to find. :rolleyes:

USMC03
02-08-10, 16:36
Got it Brother. Sorry it took me so long to get back with you. Ment to look for it yesterday and got tied up doing other stuff.

Bimmer
02-08-10, 16:41
I find myself needing the silliest stuff that's extremely difficult to find. :rolleyes:

It's just a simple roll pin, isn't it?

Shouldn't a well-stocked hardware store sell these?

crazymoose
02-08-10, 19:55
It's just a simple roll pin, isn't it?

Shouldn't a well-stocked hardware store sell these?

It's been my experience that most companies will happily tell you the sizes of small parts like screws, pins, etc., rather than having to take the time to ship out a $0.30 part. Badger told me the screw size when I wanted to get stainless screws for my Stabilizer FF tubes.

Cincinnatus
02-10-10, 11:25
will the long roll pin in an AR15 pin kit, the one for the forward assist on an upper fit? It could be cut to the right length if it is the right diameter. It could be handy to get one of the miscellaneous roll pin kits Brownells sells--all diferent lengths and diameters--to cover such instances as a general principle. I plan to start a roll pin collection myself. :)

Slippers
02-10-10, 13:48
I got tired of pushing the roll pin in and out when I was trying to figure out which backstrap I preferred, so I took an 8-32 x 1/4" set screw and threaded it into the roll pin hole from the inside. I then use a 5/64" allen wrench from the outside to move the set screw and have it pinch the backstrap in place.

You can see the set screw in the roll pin hole here:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/8062/miadset1.jpg

And how I adjust it:

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/2534/miadset2.jpg

To install the set screw you remove the backstrap and bottom of the MIAD, then hold the set screw in place with your finger up inside the cavity near the roll pin holes. Stick the allen wrench in from the outside through the roll pin hole, engage the set screw, and it will self thread into the opposite hole, and end up like my first picture. Very easy to do, won't come loose, and makes it simple to switch out backstraps.

Outlander Systems
02-10-10, 16:47
Many thanks to orlanger for hooking a brother up!

Thanks, dude.

Jeff, I really appreciate you looking for it, and the offer.

-Mike