PDA

View Full Version : LMT enhanced full auto carrier

kalibos
02-06-10, 23:11
does anyone know who sells just the carrier? all i can find is the semi auto carriers or the enhanced full auto carrier group.

Thomas M-4
02-06-10, 23:34
http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=53&cid=7&session=95b8535821fa597e9728ce22218a5eff

Lmt Lists just the carrier.
Just asking why just the carrier ? Do you already use the enhanced bolt.

kalibos
02-06-10, 23:53
i would just rather have a conventional bolt with conventional parts to replace when needed.

kalibos
02-06-10, 23:54
can you buy directly from LMT? i saw where they list just the carrier but nobody else that i have found does.

Thomas M-4
02-07-10, 00:04
can you buy directly from LMT? i saw where they list just the carrier but nobody else that i have found does.

Yes you can order directly from LMT.

Thomas M-4
02-07-10, 00:05
i would just rather have a conventional bolt with conventional parts to replace when needed.

A member just re posted this thread last night if you have not seen it.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3379

In it Bill Alexander describes how the enhanced carrier and bolt work his description is the best that I have found describing the features of both the carrier and bolt.

Conventional parts is a ++ in my book but the only un-conventional parts in the enhanced bolt are the extractor and extractor spring which are designed to have a longer service life. So it is up to you but I have decided to use the enhanced bolt in all my future AR's and just stock up on a few extractors and springs.

kalibos
02-07-10, 00:09
i've heard that the enhanced bolt doesn't work very well in a 10.5 rifle.
this is what i'm looking for it to go in.

Thomas M-4
02-07-10, 00:23
i've heard that the enhanced bolt doesn't work very well in a 10.5 rifle.
this is what i'm looking for it to go in.

I live in AL no SBR :mad: Yet we are working on it;) So I can not give you first hand but Got M-4 has posted he uses the enhanced bolt in his SBR 10'' barrel.
I just pulled this from the Now I am AR15 owner sticky thread.
{Sound suppressors add even more gas pressure to the already fast cycling high pressure short gas system. Example, if running suppressed my 10" will wear out a set of gas rings in about 1K rounds. If I shoot it unsuppressed I can easily get 2K rounds out of the rings. Cam pins if running suppressed look beat to hell in about 1.5K rounds, if unsuppressed 3K rounds. Because of this added wear, I use a LMT enhanced bolt which has relieved bolt lugs and and upgraded extractor which has dual extractor springs. This gun has only ever had a stoppage twice (I don't like the word 'jam'. Jam is what you put on biscuits). Both stoppages were due to shooting Radway Green ammo when I didn't have the suppressor mounted. Both stoppages were failures to eject because the gun short cycled.}[COLOR="Red"]Maybe Got M-4 can chime in on his experience.

Reading from what Bill Alexander posted and a little of my personal experience with my 14.5'' upper using the enhanced BCG I believe that with the enhanced carrier extra extractor tension is probably not needed has much when using the enhanced carrier. Because the carrier is holding the case in the chamber for a longer period of time and you do not need the extra extractor tension because the case has had time to contract from the chamber wall.

kalibos
02-07-10, 00:45
another reason is that the enhanced bolt is about 3 times as much as a standard bolt and i would rather use the extra money saved to send the bcg to fail zero for coating

Thomas M-4
02-07-10, 00:50
another reason is that the enhanced bolt is about 3 times as much as a standard bolt and i would rather use the extra money saved to send the bcg to fail zero for coating

Roger that.
Good luck and post some pics when you have completed it.:)

kalibos
02-07-10, 00:51
i may just use a standard bcg and see how well it works and if i decide it would be better off with the enhanced bcg, get it and then i would have both bolts to compare.

kalibos
02-07-10, 00:57
it'll be a while before it's complete but here is a pic of what i'm getting engraved on the side of my zombie slayer;)

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo356/kalibos1/UmbrellaCorpLogo.jpg

Thomas M-4
02-07-10, 00:59
Do you plan on using a suppressor ?
It has been stated that the enhanced carrier really shines with a suppressor I have not used mine with a suppressor yet but plan to do so at some time in the future.

kalibos
02-07-10, 01:02
yes, it will get a suppressor as soon as i decide which one to go with

Artos
02-07-10, 07:44
A member just re posted this thread last night if you have not seen it.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3379

In it Bill Alexander describes how the enhanced carrier and bolt work his description is the best that I have found describing the features of both the carrier and bolt.

Thanks for linking...i simply went with the enhanced carrier and standard bolt in my 12.5 build as it was recommended by Grant in his 'ultimate sbr thread" some time ago. Had folks ask why but I really had no idea how the lmt combo with the suppressor worked together. Honestly, didn't care as it runs like a sewing machine but did WANT to explain the differences in at least the carrier and bolt.

Robb Jensen
02-07-10, 08:21
I live in AL no SBR :mad: Yet we are working on it;) So I can not give you first hand but Got M-4 has posted he uses the enhanced bolt in his SBR 10'' barrel.
I just pulled this from the Now I am AR15 owner sticky thread.
{Sound suppressors add even more gas pressure to the already fast cycling high pressure short gas system. Example, if running suppressed my 10" will wear out a set of gas rings in about 1K rounds. If I shoot it unsuppressed I can easily get 2K rounds out of the rings. Cam pins if running suppressed look beat to hell in about 1.5K rounds, if unsuppressed 3K rounds. Because of this added wear, I use a LMT enhanced bolt which has relieved bolt lugs and and upgraded extractor which has dual extractor springs. This gun has only ever had a stoppage twice (I don't like the word 'jam'. Jam is what you put on biscuits). Both stoppages were due to shooting Radway Green ammo when I didn't have the suppressor mounted. Both stoppages were failures to eject because the gun short cycled.}[COLOR="Red"]Maybe Got M-4 can chime in on his experience.

Reading from what Bill Alexander posted and a little of my personal experience with my 14.5'' upper using the enhanced BCG I believe that with the enhanced carrier extra extractor tension is probably not needed has much when using the enhanced carrier. Because the carrier is holding the case in the chamber for a longer period of time and you do not need the extra extractor tension because the case has had time to contract from the chamber wall.

I used a standard LMT M16 carrier with a LMT enhanced bolt back when it had a LMT barrel. The gas port was .078" at the time the barrel was cut and I used a H2 buffer. I shot that LMT barrel out last year, it's port was .082" when I replaced the barrel. Last year I had my brand new 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel down to 10.5". I'm using a regular style new BCM bolt with an O-ring with a LMT enhanced carrier (M16) and a H buffer and a standard rate chrome silicon buffer spring.

Thomas M-4
02-07-10, 09:40
I used a standard LMT M16 carrier with a LMT enhanced bolt back when it had a LMT barrel. The gas port was .078" at the time the barrel was cut and I used a H2 buffer. I shot that LMT barrel out last year, it's port was .082" when I replaced the barrel. Last year I had my brand new 14.5" Colt SOCOM barrel down to 10.5". I'm using a regular style new BCM bolt with an O-ring with a LMT enhanced carrier (M16) and a H buffer and a standard rate chrome silicon buffer spring.

Any reason for going to the regular style bolt?
.082'' gas port:eek: Did the enhanced bolt handle the extraction needs of the opened gas port with a standard carrier.

Robb Jensen
02-07-10, 10:02
Any reason for going to the regular style bolt?
.082'' gas port:eek: Did the enhanced bolt handle the extraction needs of the opened gas port with a standard carrier.

Just an experiment.
Small gas port (for a 10" gun), enhanced LMT M16 carrier, standard style bolt, H buffer = very soft shooting suppressed 10" gun, almost feels like a squib when not suppressed.

kalibos
02-07-10, 10:15
Just an experiment.
Small gas port (for a 10" gun), enhanced LMT M16 carrier, standard style bolt, H buffer = very soft shooting suppressed 10" gun, almost feels like a squib when not suppressed.

did you have any problems with it when shooting without the suppressor?

Robb Jensen
02-07-10, 10:17
did you have any problems with it when shooting without the suppressor?

It runs but won't lock back on the last round. But shoot extremely soft.

kalibos
02-07-10, 10:20
was that caused by the smaller gas port or the carrier?

Artos
02-07-10, 10:25

some good stuff right here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33743

kalibos
02-07-10, 10:29
some good stuff right here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=33743

i bookmarked that thread a while back as soon as i decided to build a sbr.

does anyone know what size gas port the 10.5" CQB noveske has?

Artos
02-07-10, 10:47
i bookmarked that thread a while back as soon as i decided to build a sbr.

does anyone know what size gas port the 10.5" CQB noveske has?

I have no idea what the various factory sbr bbl's are ported at exactly, but I wish they would list them just for grins.

I suspect most all will be 'over-gassed' when using with a can to make certain they cycle sans suppressor. My guess is the majority of sbr bbls are being run without a suppressor and the mfg need to support this customer base.

I took a page from that thread and ran with it...i cut a standard carbine ported / M4 bbl and cut to 12.5. Mine runs 100% reliable but does not always lock back on the last round (without the can) Again, I'm running the enhanced bcg and standard bolt. Being ignorant on the ideal gas port for the various sbr bbl lengths, I went w/ 12.5 and am tickled with the results so far.

I would really like to see a G&R / failzero 10.5 and 11.5 small port upper down the road.;):cool:

kalibos
02-07-10, 11:03
i'll probably use an adjustable gas block to play around with the gas port size...

Robb Jensen
02-07-10, 14:10

It's the combo of the two used together. I left the port at the factory Colt size of .0625". The Noveske ports I've measured on the 10.5" barrels had ports of .071"

kalibos
02-07-10, 14:35
It's the combo of the two used together. I left the port at the factory Colt size of .0625". The Noveske ports I've measured on the 10.5" barrels had ports of .071"

so an adjustable gas block would be a good idea then on the noveske barrel?

Robb Jensen
02-07-10, 14:40
so an adjustable gas block would be a good idea then on the noveske barrel?

I wouldn't use one on a non-game gun. I more likely have Noveske install a switchblock.

kalibos
02-07-10, 14:49
is that because the adjustable gb might lose it's setting during use? couldn't it be adjusted to where i wanted it and be staked?
my reason for asking is that i'm using the vltor casv

Robb Jensen
02-07-10, 14:59
is that because the adjustable gb might lose it's setting during use? couldn't it be adjusted to where i wanted it and be staked?
my reason for asking is that i'm using the vltor casv

Yes to much s*** going on with adjustables.

kalibos
02-07-10, 15:17
what about this type? it's the same idea as the switch block but will fit under a rail system
Two position is open and closed or High and low pressure.Three position is closed,low and high pressure.

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo356/kalibos1/gb.jpg

kalibos
02-07-10, 15:30
the more i look at it...it looks like the switch block would fit under the CASV rail.
does anyone have the measurements of the switch block?