PDA

View Full Version : USGI Colt Magazines Question

brian0128
02-06-10, 23:44
Anyway, I have a question about 16 of them. I'm confused about magazines produced after the ban. Can I sell these or even legally own them. They are new Colt magazines with a green follower and the numbers on the side are 33710 9-03. That tells me they were manufactured in 2003. They are also stamped with the Gov't LEO use only on the side.

I don't need them and was going to sell them, but I don't want to break the law. I haven't been on any forums or anything since I've been overseas since January of 2004. I tried searching, but I'm relatively new to the internet.

rngrq
02-07-10, 01:32
This post screams "FRAUD, WASTE, AND ABUSE!" Do your unit, the Army (or whatever service you're in), and the U.S. Taxpayer a favor and turn that excess US Gov't property in to your unit supply so that they can be used by those in your unit that needs them, or further re-directed to troops who need them most.

Regardless of how you "found" them, those are US Government property! If you are still in, you need to turn in all "excess" to your unit supply immediately! GIs are typically only issued 7, so legally, you should turn in 73.

An individual GI does not need 80 mags. I'm still in a active duty infantry unit and currently deployed. The Army supply system works, but is slow. My unit could've used that 73 during train-up for deployment.

I, like most of you, am also a taxpayer. My unit had to local purchase magazines for deployment (big picture: taxpayer's $$$); many troops spent their own money.

Again, do everyone a favor and turn them in (for the benefit of the military -> 73 mags = 7 troops) versus sell them (benefit for your wallet).

ATW!

Cerberus
02-07-10, 01:52
I, like most of you, am also a taxpayer. My unit had to local purchase magazines for deployment (big picture: taxpayer's $$$); many troops spent their own money.

Somewhere the supply chain has failed you. We had 900 in boxes that we never even opened up in country. I've been in units (active duty) that when you cleared supply they didn't even want them back, being Class 9 items.

We also carried 13 mags for every rifle in every vehicle.

brian0128
02-07-10, 02:11
This post screams "FRAUD, WASTE, AND ABUSE!" Do your unit, the Army (or whatever service you're in), and the U.S. Taxpayer a favor and turn that excess US Gov't property in to your unit supply so that they can be used by those in your unit that needs them, or further re-directed to troops who need them most.

Regardless of how you "found" them, those are US Government property! If you are still in, you need to turn in all "excess" to your unit supply immediately! GIs are typically only issued 7, so legally, you should turn in 73.

An individual GI does not need 80 mags. I'm still in a active duty infantry unit and currently deployed. The Army supply system works, but is slow. My unit could've used that 73 during train-up for deployment.

Again, do everyone a favor and turn them in (for the benefit of the military -> 73 mags = 7 troops) versus sell them (benefit for your wallet).

ATW!\

I asked the question about the 16, not the other 64. The other 64 are all Colt commercial magazines with the Pony stamps and 15 Colt nickel plated 20 rounders that I came across sometime in my past. As for the 16 mags that I inquired about, it's possible that they were issued to me before my 1st deployment back in 2003 or it's possible that they were traded to me. I honestly don't know and I know there is no way that I can figure it out. My unit wouldn't take these mags if I begged them since we all use Magpul magazines now and have for the past 2 deployments, and as was mentioned above, after a 12 or 15 month tour, we don't require you to turn in the 13 magazines issued to you.

rngrq
02-07-10, 02:15
like Cerberus said, they are CL IX. If you guys have Magpuls, we're in the same boat.

What we did was inspect all COLT magazine. If unserviceable, they were de-milled (crushed) to prevent someone from using a defective mag. If they were good, they were used for training.

If no one is asking for them, why not just keep them?

ATW!

brian0128
02-07-10, 02:29
like Cerberus said, they are CL IX. If you guys have Magpuls, we're in the same boat.

What we did was inspect all COLT magazine. If unserviceable, they were de-milled (crushed) to prevent someone from using a defective mag. If they were good, they were used for training.

If no one is asking for them, why not just keep them?

ATW!

If it will make you feel better, I can mail them to your unit. It's not like I need them, and as was mentioned before I don't even know where I got them. PM me with an address of your unit and I'd be glad to donate them as long as they were put to good use.

Belmont31R
02-07-10, 02:29
I have some mags I was issued. Like the others my unit had more mags than we knew what to do with, and supply would only take 7 of mine back as thats what they had on my hand receipt.

But no there is no current ban on mags at the Federal level. Some states have mag restrictions.

brian0128
02-07-10, 02:31
I have some mags I was issued. Like the others my unit had more mags than we knew what to do with, and supply would only take 7 of mine back as thats what they had on my hand receipt.

But no there is no current ban on mags at the Federal level. Some states have mag restrictions.

Thanks for the reply.:cool:

Cerberus
02-07-10, 11:45
I'm also a taxpayer, and have been for well over 2 decades, and I think by now I've payed for any USGI mags I have in my possesion many times over. Ain't no fraud, waste and abuse for recovering a teeny, weeny portion of what was taken away from me without permission in the first place.

kalibos
02-07-10, 17:43
if you don't want them, i'll take 'em:D