PDA

View Full Version : HK USP?

SoDak
02-07-10, 00:14
I've been looking at getting a replacement for my XD, and recently I saw a used USP9 at a local pawnshop for something like $600. I never really considered one before, although I've handled them and I liked it quite a bit. I wanted to get more info on the USP especially what I should look for when buying a used one(it's about the only way I'll ever be able to afford one). So what are the things I need to know when considering a USP?

skyugo
02-07-10, 00:35
they're pretty solid guns. i doubt you'll have issues with a used one even. maybe examine it for wear, try to get an idea of how much use it has had. most used guns are under 500 rounds i'd say..

Falar
02-07-10, 00:47
I picked up a used KF ('95) USP 9mm for 550 bucks a few years back. It was obviously a police trade in, '95 was during the ban and it came with hi cap mags with the restricted markings. It had a bit of holster wear, and the barrel hood showed lots of wear on the top like the round count was high but upon examing the inside of the gun I estimate it had 500 or less rounds through it. The hood wear was probably from frequent cycling of the slide, I'll bet it was a typical cop gun: fired a few times a year for qualification, very little training/ "recreational use". Despite its age it has been one of my go to guns, I've put several thousand rounds through it and carry it all the time and it has never failed me. The funny part is that I picked it up because I figured for the price it would be a great gun to get for my wife back when I first got her into shooting, but I ended up using it a lot and getting her a smaller USP Compact 9.

GermanSynergy
02-07-10, 05:27
I've had my USP 9 since 2001, and have never had any problems with it. USPs are well built, accurate and stone reliable.

Outlander Systems
02-07-10, 09:24
The first semi-auto handgun I ever purchased was a USP .45 in '03. The HK will ride with you to hell and back, and still spit lead.

warpigM-4
02-07-10, 09:42
I just got a USP 45 compact and I love it ,it is built like a tank eats anything I put in it and is just all around the best handgun I have (My Last 45 was a XD 45 compact and the HK is a cut above it and the G30 I had.I am in love with my HK USP and plan on buying it a valentine day gift.I hope my wife don't get mad its cutting into what I am getting her :D My USP is my other woman....I say Buy it NOW

gtmtnbiker98
02-07-10, 12:19
You won't regret buying an HK. I'm up to ten and it's the only handgun manufacturer I'll own.

halo2304
02-07-10, 20:45
I saw a used USP9 for $550. It's a Washington Correctional trade in and has some hen scratching on the slide. I've been eyeing it...along with the Sig 2340 and S&W CS9 sitting in the same display case. All have reasonable price tags and surprisingly have been there for a while.

Too many guns, not enough funds! :rolleyes:

bondmid003
02-07-10, 23:39
I've had a USP40 for 2 years now, its one reliable gun. I have never had a stoppage while my P99 has had several stoppages with certain types of reloaded .40

loupav
02-08-10, 11:51
I have a USP 45, I love that thing. Accurate as hell, and fun to shoot.

My buddy has had one for 5+ years and it's never failed him. He shoots that thing a lot.

Get the USP, you can't go wrong.

chadbag
02-08-10, 11:57
My first handgun was a USP40 bought "used" private sale. Around late 1993. It basically looked brand new and looked to still have factory grease in it. $500 at the time. I don't shoot it as much as I used to but it is one fine and durable gun. After getting the M&P I kind of have soured on DA/SA for my normal carry use. I bought a new USP9 in April 1994, the day the House passed their version of the ban, for $550. It has been shot a lot and is also a solid performer. Both are carried in "backup" positions -- the USP40 in a winter Sig concealed coat and the USP9 in a back pocket on a bag I carry on Sunday and other days I have to do "church" stuff.

I also bought a used (almost new) USP 45 a little later in 1994 at a Pawn shop. $425 with 1 good and 1 damaged mag. I don't shoot 45 a lot so it is in excellent condition.

All my USP guns are fine and well made and a pleasure to shoot.

VooDoo6Actual
02-08-10, 17:46
Great weapon and robust design.

NO worries.

GermanSynergy
02-08-10, 17:56
Great weapon and robust design.

NO worries.

I'm still trying to "break" my USP 9 or get it to choke. So far, no luck- even after 9 years.

Mojo58
02-09-10, 03:00
I have an "AB" date code USP40. I am the original owner and have put over 15, 000 rounds through it. It eats up anything I feed it -- literally. A year ago, the firing pin broke (dry fire practice with snap caps and it just split in two pieces). I ordered a firing pin but couldn't stand to be without it. It's the most dependable handgun I've ever owned in 25 years. So I bought another brand new USP with a "AI" date code (manufactured 2008). Surprisingly, there is a noticeable difference in the triggers between the two. The later one has a crisper trigger. The firing pins underwent a new revised design and if you need to replace the older firing pins, you will require a new style firing pin, fp block, fp block spring. Just in case you're wondering. Easy to do yourself with a roll pin punch.

hak
02-09-10, 22:08
my USP .40 was my first semi-auto purchase. date code KF (1995) i've had it for 15 years, and it's still going strong. I bought during the 'ban' so it came with two 10 round mags (at the time, i figured, if I'm limited to 10, might as well be this new short-10mm round over the 9mm round :) ) anyways, it's a tank, eats anything i feed it, but still comfy enough for IWB carry on a cross-breed holster, cocked and locked.
(note my image)
http://remtek.com/arms/hk/civ/usp/40/usp40.gif

If you have small/medium hands, you may find cocked-locked (for the shorter single action reach) a requirement, and consider the DA pull for "restrikes" on hard primers a bonus. I've had Bill Springfield at triggerwork.net work the action lighting up the long-heavy DA pull, and added Trijicons, but otherwise it's stock. If it fits your hand, it's a winner. If it's a bit too big, the P30S (da/sa with traditional frame mounted safety) is out...
(not my image)
http://www.heckler-koch.de/media/Products/Self-loading_pistols/P30S_links.jpg

- slightly shorter slide release lever (doesn't go back as far) to make room for safety lever, so those with 'thumbs forward' grip may like this vs, a non-external safety P30
- still keeps rear-mounted decocker - for those (rare?) folks who had issues with the decocker on the USP being actuated during recoil (never happened to me, it doesn't rise so high on me, but i'm > 250#)
- "thumb on safety" and "cocked and locked" 1911 type lovers will enjoy this.

I've handled a P30 (v4 converted) in 9mm and liked the grip a lot, with the smaller panels on it, it was noticibly smaller than the full-size USP, the mag release not quite the same but still similar enough to be the best-around, IMHO. If you have the hand-size, like cocked and locked (or just a manual safety type gun), want a tank/timeless handgun, definitely put it on your shortlist. in standard "non compact" form it's like a p30L barrel size wise.

spamsammich
02-09-10, 22:09
CDNN has the P30 Var 3 w/2 mags going for 757 until thursday.

lonewolf21
02-09-10, 22:42
can anyone give feedback on the uspc in .45, want one and curious how it handles. had a .40 compact for 2 years that i loved. had to sell it to buy christmas presents one year. miss it everytime i watch "24"

Cobra66
02-10-10, 00:25
I have two USPs, a 45 Tactical and a 40 Compact LEM. The 45 is mostly for fun/collecting and the 40 is my duty gun. All in all, the Compact is a nicer gun, it is much more size efficient and has better ergonomics. The 45 has quite a bit of muzzle flip and is probably a bit too much gun for me to shoot well. The 40 is much more controllable. Both are phenomenally accurate and have been 100% reliable (my .40 has close to 2000 rounds though it). My only real gripe is the magazine release which is much different than standard and takes a little getting used to as well as some thought when using. The full sized USPs are a little more on the big and clunky side and I definitely prefer the compact. Either way, there really isn't too much that can go wrong with a USP and it will give you years of dependable service.

I will also add a downside to the USP that other people mention and that I am myself having issues with and that is availability of spare parts. While it is not likely that parts will break with this system when they do, you may be down for a while. I have been looking for a replacement barrel for my USP45 for almost 2 years now and keep seeming to miss the day they come in. :(

warpigM-4
02-10-10, 00:30
I love my HK45c easy to carry ,Built to where if I run out of Bullets ,I can beat the SOB to death with it:D.recoil is not bad at all very controllable .fits My hand Like no other Pistol and I Like the fact the weapon is made to handle all +P rounds

lonewolf21
02-10-10, 11:18
awesome. its on my list of must haves.

Hunter Rose
02-10-10, 19:25
I will also add a downside to the USP that other people mention and that I am myself having issues with and that is availability of spare parts. While it is not likely that parts will break with this system when they do, you may be down for a while. I have been looking for a replacement barrel for my USP45 for almost 2 years now and keep seeming to miss the day they come in. :(

Is this really an issue though? Barring a squib that causes a catastrophic kaboom, why would the USP require a replacement barrel? I doubt anyone has shot out a USP barrel.

Mark71
02-10-10, 19:57
I have been looking for a replacement barrel for my USP45 for almost 2 years now and keep seeming to miss the day they come in. :(

Midway USA just had some USP .45 barrels in stock. They accept back orders and its usually only about 30 days or so before they are back in stock and ship out.

Cobra66
02-10-10, 22:03
Midway USA just had some USP .45 barrels in stock. They accept back orders and its usually only about 30 days or so before they are back in stock and ship out.

Yeah, I had my a barrel on back order with them for about a year and then they canceled the order telling me they wouldn't be getting them in. That was over a year ago, so I never bothered to check back with them for a barrel.

Is this really an issue though? Barring a squib that causes a catastrophic kaboom, why would the USP require a replacement barrel? I doubt anyone has shot out a USP barrel.

Fair enough, but the problem is not only with barrels and extend to other spare parts as well. In my case, I needed a second barrel so that I could make the pistol legal for Kalifornia (can't have barrel threads - don't you know they might make me want to assault someone :rolleyes:)

Hunter Rose
02-11-10, 17:37
Fair enough, but the problem is not only with barrels and extend to other spare parts as well. In my case, I needed a second barrel so that I could make the pistol legal for Kalifornia (can't have barrel threads - don't you know they might make me want to assault someone :rolleyes:)

Gotcha. I just ask because usually the parts availability gets brought up as a negative for HK (usually when compared to Glocks), when it isn't really an issue in the first place. You might try trading the threaded barrel for a non-threaded one. I bet someone would take you up on that here or at HKPro.

HKUSP.40
02-13-10, 14:05
I have had my HK USP .40 for just over 2 years now, put countless rounds through it, use it on duty, and have never been happier with a firearm. I just recently purchased and installed the H&K LEM trigger kit from H&K directly. It has converted the weapon from DA/SA to DAO with a significantly lighter trigger pull. Just when I thought I couldn't like this gun any more....it's a whole new monster now. Bottom line is get one! It will outlive you so even if you drop the $$ for a new one, it will be worth it.

palmbeach31
04-12-10, 20:07
I've been looking at getting a replacement for my XD, and recently I saw a used USP9 at a local pawnshop for something like $600. I never really considered one before, although I've handled them and I liked it quite a bit. I wanted to get more info on the USP especially what I should look for when buying a used one(it's about the only way I'll ever be able to afford one). So what are the things I need to know when considering a USP?

Make sure you check the data code on the slide. Take the plunge and get an HK you won't regret it.