PDA

View Full Version : NEW & Improved USGI Mags?

M4Fundi
02-07-10, 02:51
I read a brief clip in a gun rag today that said new & improved USGI mags were coming out with a Tan follower that was better. Are they putting Magpul followers in USGI mags or did they do something else? If this is old news forgive and ignore:)

Frens
02-07-10, 04:17
there was an article a few weeks ago about it...
they're putting a new follower but it's not a magpul one.

I'll see if I can find it

ETA:
found it
improved follower (http://peosoldier.armylive.dodlive.mil/2009/12/14/armys-improved-magazine-increases-weapons-reliability-%E2%80%9Ctan-is-the-plan%E2%80%9D-for-the-new-magazine/)

SWATcop556
02-07-10, 04:23
The new mags are also known as "personally purchased Pmags." :D

NickB
02-07-10, 07:22
The new mags are also known as "personally purchased Pmags." :D

I'm fairly certain there are more government-purchased PMAGs in service at this point than personally-purchased.

ForTehNguyen
02-07-10, 08:51
cool did not know that, Nick. Unfortunate that govt reinvents the wheel when there was the same product already on the market. Oh well

cd228
02-07-10, 09:45
The new mags are stamped brownells. I haven't disected one yet, but i can tell you that my personnal mags and work mags all have MAGPUL followers and Ranger plates. PMAGS have been bought as unit purchases, but there are still a lot of personnally purchased PMAGS and MAGPUL stocks out there.

TheActivePatriot
02-07-10, 09:45
Why doesn't DoD adopt the PMag or Emag as the standard issue 5.56 magazine? Even at a slightly higher initial cost, I would think it would ultimately result in a lower overall cost, due to the resistance of the Magpul design to dents and warping leading to a longer service life on average. Or am I missing something here?

warpigM-4
02-07-10, 09:58
I'm fairly certain there are more government-purchased PMAGs in service at this point than personally-purchased.
I really think the DOD needs to scrap all of the Mags they have and By PMags they are the Best and our Soldiers deserve the Best

xfyrfiter
02-07-10, 10:23
The P-Mag cost is higher than the other, and as both meet "spec" the DOD has to go
with the least expensive initial cost ,DOD does not look at longevity as they are spending our money and do not have to pay from their own pockets.IMHO

RogerinTPA
02-07-10, 11:00
Stupid shit like this makes my ass ache. Pmags and Magpul followers should have been procured YEARS ago. Talk about a blinding flash of the obvious. I bet it's some Magpul hate out there and someone on the committee to procure dumb shit, has a vested interest in these knockoffs being procured in a particular state, or of significant personal investment. Our tax dollars at work!:rolleyes:

Frens
02-07-10, 11:02
they spend (are spending?) big money in R&D...get the pmag instead ;)