PDA

View Full Version : The Word, "Tactical"

Outlander Systems
02-07-10, 11:55
Does this word drive anyone else up the f&#*'in wall?

Everything is apparently "tactical". I even have a "Tactical Grilling" spatula holder, for God's sake. (it was a gift, I swear)

(tac·ti·cal)ˈtak-ti-kəl b : adroit in planning or maneuvering to accomplish a purpose

There has to be a better word out there to describe kit. I have a problem thinking about an inanimate object as "tactical". That's like calling my ball-peen a "Strategic Hammer".

Am I alone, and/or out of line with my thinking here. Gut-check me if I need it.

The word "tactical" to me is so over/mis-used that it's become corny when I hear it.

Evil Colt 6920
02-07-10, 12:30
I've been looking for a tactical spatula holder, how do you like yours and who sells them.:D

EDIT: OK I couldn't resist a google search for tactical spatula. This is just ridiculous but gave me a good chuckle. Tactical Spatula (http://www.tacticalgrilling.com/Tactical-Spatula-Sheath) I agree with you 100% that word is being tossed around like a turd in a monkey cage at the zoo.

KellyTTE
02-07-10, 12:33
That's like calling my ball-peen a "Strategic Hammer".

Just for the record, it's not Strategic Air Command anymore.

It's 'Global Strike Command'. ;)

(random non sequitur)

Shawn.L
02-07-10, 12:37
yes, overused

Im wearing "tactical pants" right now. lol

Iraq Ninja
02-07-10, 12:49
I don't mind it. I think it shows a change in our collective mindset about what firearms are truly intended for in the 2A. It is not about hunting, sports, collecting, building, etc. While those things are related (and fun), it is about self protection.

I truly hope this is not a passing fancy with the American mindset.

That said, I dislike Tactical Bacon :)

WTAprill
02-07-10, 12:56
"Tactical" is bad, but there's worse..."EXTREME".

I saw "Extreme Shop Towels" for sale the other day.......:rolleyes:

SteyrAUG
02-07-10, 12:56
I don't mind it. I think it shows a change in our collective mindset about what firearms are truly intended for in the 2A. It is not about hunting, sports, collecting, building, etc. While those things are related (and fun), it is about self protection.

I agree.

Note to self: Need to acquire Strategic Hammer.

beckman
02-07-10, 13:13

That said, I dislike Tactical Bacon :)I think that you make an excellent point about mindset and RKBA realities.

Still, I agree with what I interpret as the OP's point: The word "tactical" has been misused and overused. In fact, it's been so misused that it no longer represents a mindset nor the reality of RKBA. Instead, it reflects a fashion statement.

We see this in many areas of life. One of the silliest is the low-hanging pants of the fashionable man in the ghetto. At one time, it was the sign of an ex-con bad boy, but now it's merely a fashion statement of the wannabe bad boy. There are few things more amusing than watching one of this fashionistas run across the street while trying not to trip over his "bad boy" pants which have fallen to his knees.

99HMC4
02-07-10, 13:17
(tac·ti·cal)ˈtak-ti-kəl b : Any black gun with over 300 feet of picatinny rail mounted to it.

:D

chadbag
02-07-10, 13:26
I've been looking for a tactical spatula holder, how do you like yours and who sells them.:D

EDIT: OK I couldn't resist a google search for tactical spatula. This is just ridiculous but gave me a good chuckle. Tactical Spatula (http://www.tacticalgrilling.com/Tactical-Spatula-Sheath) I agree with you 100% that word is being tossed around like a turd in a monkey cage at the zoo.

Of course the website tacticalgrilling.com is spoofing the very thing you are complaining about (and making a buck on it -- good for them). I would think they agree with you.

Update: They even have multicam!

RSS1911
02-07-10, 13:30
We need a new chart.

glocktogo
02-07-10, 14:11
Still, I agree with what I interpret as the OP's point: The word "tactical" has been misused and overused. In fact, it's been so misused that it no longer represents a mindset nor the reality of RKBA. Instead, it reflects a fashion statement.

Exactly. Any time you see a mfg. or reviewer labeling a product tactical, just replace the word tactical with the word fashion. "Tactical pants" becomes "fashion pants" Tactical mag pouch" becomes "fashion mag pouch".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX7cv6pZbAg

There's a brand new dance
But I don't know it's name
That people from bad homes
Do again and again
It's big and it's bland
Full tension and fear
They do it over there
But we don't do it here

Tactical - Turn to the left
Tactical - Turn to the right
We are the goon squad
And we're coming to town
Beep-beep - Beep-beep

Listen to me - Don't listen to me
Talk to me - Don't talk to me
Dance with me - Don't dance with me
No - Beep-beep - Beep-beep

There's a brand new talk
But it's not very clear
That people from good homes
Are talking this year
It's loud and it's tasteless
I've not heard it before
Shout it while you're dancing
On the other dance floor

Tactical - Turn to the left
Tactical - Turn to the right
We are the goon squad
And we're coming to town
Beep-beep - Beep-beep

Listen to me - Don't listen to me
Talk to me - Don't talk to me
Dance with me - Don't dance with me
No - Beep-beep - Beep-beep

Oop bop - do do do do do do do do
Fa fa fa fa tactical

CarlosDJackal
02-07-10, 14:18
The word "Tactical" has been as misused almost as much as the word "Sniper". :rolleyes:

jvencius
02-07-10, 14:21
...That's like calling my ball-peen a "Strategic Hammer".

Almost--a sledgehammer would be a "Strategic Hammer" but anything you normally work with one hand is closer to being a "Tactical" hammer...:p:p

Just for the record, it's not Strategic Air Command anymore.

It's 'Global Strike Command'.

(random non sequitur)

Mrs. JV is part of GSC and she said when they were setting it up, apparently guys actually were pulling out old SAC Technical Orders and dusting them off to adapt as "new" GSC Tech Orders...:rolleyes:

Cruncher Block
02-07-10, 14:39
I want a pair of Extreme Tactical Fuzzy Bunny Slippers for my birthday.

RogerinTPA
02-07-10, 15:07
The word "Tactical" has been as misused almost as much as the word "Sniper". :rolleyes:

Another overly applied cool word for anyone armed is "Operator".:rolleyes:

BiggLee71
02-07-10, 15:28
"Tacti-cool"???? It kinda reminds me about wannabe's who wish they has "BTDT". Even worse when they tell people that they have.

Artos
02-07-10, 16:34
Im wearing "tactical pants" right now. lol

I'm hoping to have 'tactical pants on the ground' after the game and kids are asleep:)

Gutshot John
02-07-10, 16:43
"Tactical" is to gear, what "alternative" is to music.

Though I suddenly have a yen for a Strategic Carbine.

;)

Macx
02-07-10, 17:17
Why does this thread have me wanting to get some Fang Face Bullets?

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/

WillBrink
02-07-10, 18:04
Does this word drive anyone else up the f&#*'in wall?

Pronounced Tacti-Cool :cool:

N4FAN
02-07-10, 19:33
"Battle" is used quite a bit, particularly with Troy Industries marketing practices

QuietShootr
02-07-10, 19:43

Agreed, except for the last part.:D

R/Tdrvr
02-08-10, 08:55
Just remember, to be truly "tactical" an item needs to have black velcro on it. :D

JulienBoit
02-08-10, 10:03
I'm so tactical that even my teeth turned OD green.:D

74Highboy
02-08-10, 12:15
Looks like "tactical" is out and a new term "Kinetic"is being used by some folks

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/afghanistan/article7017921.ece

1811tactikool
02-08-10, 12:58
Pronounced Tacti-Cool :cool:

Huh? :p:cool:

Chameleox
02-08-10, 13:16
Almost--a sledgehammer would be a "Strategic Hammer" but anything you normally work with one hand is closer to being a "Tactical" hammer...:p:p

And let me guess, we can market it as a Tac-Hammer.

Paint it black, add velcro or MOLLE, and double the price.

I really don't mind the use of the work "tactical". If meant to denote an item or concept that has real world operational utility, it works. It would be more apt to call something "operational", or "real world effective", or maybe just "practical". But those just don't sound right.

lethal dose
02-08-10, 13:32
MUST HAVE...

http://www.tacticalgrilling.com/Tactical-Beer-Shingle?osCsid=844b065c7b5a505f247cb45a7141f128

rifleman2000
02-08-10, 14:19
My favorite is "tactical training". ;)

JonnyVain
02-08-10, 14:22
I thought 'tactical' was being replaced by 'operator.'

Or was it 'tactical operator?'

kaiservontexas
02-08-10, 15:58
MUST HAVE...

http://www.tacticalgrilling.com/Tactical-Beer-Shingle?osCsid=844b065c7b5a505f247cb45a7141f128

Yes! My weekends are complete! j/k There is a tactical coffee mug out there somewhere as well I think.

ForTehNguyen
02-08-10, 15:59
tactikool-aid

kjdoski
02-08-10, 17:06
Personally, I like the use of the word in today's marketplace. When I'm interested in a new piece of kit, I simply search for the item, then IMMEDIATELY discard anything labeled "tactical" as overpriced and overhyped. Really cuts down on my shopping time...

Regards,

Kevin

GermanSynergy
02-08-10, 18:05
I agree. I'm seeing more EBRs than ever on the ranges, where even 10 years ago they weren't as common. IIRC the AR15 platform is the #1 selling rifle in the US today. Getting folks that are ambivalent about gun ownership on the range and letting them shoot AR's, etc may win over some people. :)