PDA

View Full Version : Handgun for the Wife

tsconver
02-07-10, 21:47
trying to get my wife a handgun for self defense when I travel. Thoughts on what would be good for her. She has never shot, she has had a wrist injury to her off hand so I want something that is easily controlled with mostly one had and the other had just for minimal support. I love Glocks and have stuck to 40 S&W but I think that would be a bit much for her.

TIA

Black
02-07-10, 21:52
Thought about the Sig P238? I love mine. :)

Beretta
02-07-10, 21:53
Smith and Wesson 442-2 is something to consider.

Oscar 319
02-07-10, 22:00
Smith and Wesson 442-2 is something to consider.

Wrist injury, never shot....no.

Do a search, this has been discussed before.

A 9mm she likes would be a place to start. G19, S&W M&P9c....

sgalbra76
02-07-10, 22:29
Due to the wrist injury, she'll need something of reasonable grip length and size in order to keep the pistol under control and the felt recoil down. I advise that you stay away from tiny pistols like the jumpy Ruger LCP. She'll also want a pistol of decent weight......but not too heavy otherwise she won't want to carry it. Revolvers are not the most user friendly handguns and I would not recommend it for her.

A striker fired semi auto is good like a Glock, M&P, or Walther, but the again a woman doesn't like to carry around a bulky holster all the time either to ensure safe carry. I've tried a number of pistols with my wife and I've heard a lot of excuses as to why she doesn't like to carry one. Finally, I found one that she liked......my Sig P232 .380acp. It was large enough for an ideal grip, heavy enough to make recoil comfortable, and had a smooth DA/SA trigger in case she wanted a safe condition to carry it outside of a holster. The pistol is accurate and reliable........just remember that Sigs like oil though. I had to replace my P232 with another one after my wife stole it. :rolleyes:

.380acp ammo is a little hard to find now days, but here's a great source for finding what you need:
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/ammo/.380_ACP

Here's a good practice round:
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/store_frame/2911363?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fproduct%2Fstandard-item.jsp%3B%3Fid%3D0068684217012a%26amp%3BnavCount%3D1%26amp%3BpodId%3D0068684%26amp%3BparentId%3Dcat20837%26amp%3Bmasterpathid%3D%26amp%3BnavAction%3Djump%26amp%3BcmCat%3DMainCatcat20712-cat20837%26amp%3BcatalogCode%3DIA%26amp%3Brid%3D%26amp%3BparentT

Here's some good defense rounds:
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/store_frame/2911387?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fproduct%2Fstandard-item.jsp%3B%3Fid%3D0031359215809a%26amp%3BnavCount%3D1%26amp%3BpodId%3D0031359%26amp%3BparentId%3Dcat20837%26amp%3Bmasterpathid%3D%26amp%3BnavAction%3Djump%26amp%3BcmCat%3DMainCatcat20712-cat20837%26amp%3BcatalogCode%3D9IS%26amp%3Brid%3D%26amp%3Bparent

Hornady 90gr XTP or TAP is probably the best overall defensive load as it comes much closer to the 12" penetration FBI protocol standard in ballistic gel:
http://www.ammoengine.com/find/store_frame/2911387?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cabelas.com%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fproduct%2Fstandard-item.jsp%3B%3Fid%3D0031359215809a%26amp%3BnavCount%3D1%26amp%3BpodId%3D0031359%26amp%3BparentId%3Dcat20837%26amp%3Bmasterpathid%3D%26amp%3BnavAction%3Djump%26amp%3BcmCat%3DMainCatcat20712-cat20837%26amp%3BcatalogCode%3D9IS%26amp%3Brid%3D%26amp%3Bparent

Kentucky Cop
02-07-10, 22:40
M&P 9 compact with the crimson laser. My sister in law was in the same boat other than the wrist injury and is now in love with her little pistol. Identical story, never shot ever and hubby is a cop that works all night. A few range trips with us coppers and a CCDW class and you got yourself a happy woman that is comfortable with the weapon. She has since nicknamed her gun the "noisy cricket". Go figure. I think we created a animal......;), sigh.

Ky Cop

smokenssz
02-07-10, 23:17
I bought my wife a G32 for home defense. I trust my life to a glock so I trust that hers will not let us down. I would say a G26 for your wife, or a G17. Good luck!

SWATcop556
02-08-10, 00:27
I had to relace a G19 after my wife shot it. I told her we would get her one just like it and she looked at me in the way I knew she had her gun and I was now looking for a new one. Such is life but she loves it.

SpeedRacer
02-08-10, 00:45
I'd recommend an M&P-9 as well. They are comfortable and easy to control. I'd personally suggest a full size though. The compact model is only designed for better concealment. The full size is easier to grip regardless of hand size, and will shoot softer than the compact due to the added mass.

Either way, choosing the handgun is nowhere near as important as making sure she can use it. Most ranges rent guns...I'd say try a few out and see what SHE likes and is most comfortable shooting. Then buy her one and make her shoot the hell out of it!

BigDog
02-08-10, 06:41
Another vote for the M&P9c. My Wife assimilated mine the day she first shot it, and she has occasional issues with her wrist, but she's fine with the 9mm.

She should be, her other guns are a GP100 and a Python! :D

orionz06
02-08-10, 06:56
M&P 9c.

tpd223
02-08-10, 07:05
My wife has had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands, and she has smaller hands as well. She prefers the Kahr 9mms, she has a PM9 and a CW9 for carry.

RogerinTPA
02-08-10, 07:46
Another vote foe the M&P9c (or G19).

halo2304
02-08-10, 11:20
...and here I thought this was a different kind of thread about getting a gun for the wife.

"I got a gun for my wife."

"Good trade!"

:D

robinhawkins13@comcast.ne
02-08-10, 11:28
XD40 sub compact. alot of safety features and mine shoots AWESOMe. Not hard to handle either

oldtexan
02-08-10, 11:28
Here's my thinking, based on lessons I've learned the hard way introducing my wife to the world of handgun shooting.

Because of your wife's hand strength issue, a revolver might be a better choice than an auto. There's no slide on a revolver to have to rack.

Even if she can manipulate the slide, many women also have grip size issues with double-stack auto pistols. This negatively affects gun handling and recoil management. A single-stack auto like a Kahr TP9/T9 or SIG 239 might work well for small hands.

I would most definitely not recommend a lightweight/airweight (aluminum/scandium frame) revolver in .38 or .357(such as S&W 442/642/340/342/37 or Ruger LCR) because of recoil issues. If you put one of these in her hands and she fires it she may never want to shoot anything you recommend again.

A good choice might be a S&W all stainless j-frame (640/649/60) or a Ruger SP-101. All of these weigh about 23-25 oz unloaded, and soak up recoil better than a 16 oz airweight S&W 642 or a Ruger LCR. This heavier weight makes for a much more pleasant shooting experience which means she might be more willing to train with the gun. If hand size is an issue you can find lots of grips for the 649/640/60 to acommodate small hands. Crimson Trace makes a number of types of lasergrips for these guns. My wife has a 649 with Crimson Trace LG-305s on it, and she likes it very much. The biggest drawback on these guns IMO is limited capacity, only 5 rds.

And I'd recommend .38 ammo versus .357, even if they're so chambered. In .38 +P the Speer 135 +P Gold Dot short barrel load is a pretty good one as is Corbon's DPX +P load.

If .38 +P loads give too much recoil for her, then there are various standard pressure .38 loads available. With them you may sacrifice either consistent expansion or sufficient penetration, but you'll get lower recoil and blast than with +P loads. Even if she keeps the gun loaded with +P loads she could train primarily with standard pressure loads which are cheaper and more pleasant to shoot than +P loads.

A carbon steel or stainless S&W K-frame revolver in .38 or .357(Models 10/13/15/19/64/65/66/67) might work too. Here you're looking at unloaded weights of about 30-35 oz(more weight = less recoil) and a 6 rd capacity. These would be easier to shoot than even the all-stainless J-frames or SP-101, but their weight may cause her to fatigue easily too. Crimson Trace makes lasergrips for them too. Same comments as above on ammo apply here.

Does she have any female friends who shoot handguns regularly? In my experience a woman can often help another woman pick a gun better than a man can.

Is there a clean shooting range in your area that rents a good variety of handguns? If so go there with your wife (and her female shooting friend) and encourage her to shoot whatever she likes.

A basic handgun training course (preferably with a female-friendly instructor) might be a very good thing for her to attend prior to buying a gun. Her experiences gained during the class could then inform her choice of a handgun.

The most important lesson for me in the process of helping my wife pick a gun was that it's got to be her choice of gun not mine. I have a strong personality and probably unknowingly exerted too much influence on my wife's choices. This lengthened the process and cost us extra money as we went through a series of guns for her.

oldtexan
02-08-10, 11:44
Either way, choosing the handgun is nowhere near as important as making sure she can use it. Most ranges rent guns...I'd say try a few out and see what SHE likes and is most comfortable shooting. Then buy her one and make her shoot the hell out of it!

Amen, brother!!

landrvrnut22
02-08-10, 14:56

I second this philosophy. I taught my wife to shoot using my friends Beretta Cougar 8000f. She fell in love with the pistol, and so I hunted one down for her. She also has carpal tunnel, but that has not stopped her one bit.

One thing to keep in mind is many women have trouble racking the slide of some semi's. My wife could not operate the slide of a S&W 659, nor 1911, but can do the cougar and my 96. A revolver is better from an operation stand point.

Take her to a gun show, and let her pick up, and handle different guns. Let her decide what she wants, and is comfortable with. Make sure she can operate all the controls. Then make sure to take her out and practice, practice, practice.

ccoker
02-08-10, 16:49
This is a good conversation for me too
my wife did not grow up around guns like I did and it was a challenge at first, she has come around and is 100% behind me having guns, now it's just a question of getting her comfortable with them

I bought her a few years ago and older steel frame j frame 3" barrel 38 with a DAO, bobbed hammer. Someone had done an action job on it and it is smooth as butter and very accurate.

She has never shot it though

last year I bought her an M&P9c

she hasn't shot it yet either

part of the issue is we have little kids and the closes range is an indoor one.
the WORST place to take a new shooter

I need to get her to an outdoor range with both pistols and let her shoot both and she uses the one she is more comforatable with more accurate with.

I also think I may get her to an instructor, so it's not her husband telling her how to do it...

desertdisciple
09-05-10, 13:16
Started looking @ the same decision.

My wife is not "a gun girl", but is not anti.
(especially after we intervened in a daytime assault - gang banger, who was on federal parole, & dragging his GF across a parking lot. - Held him, til PD hooked him up----NOW, she's all for my CCW!!!)

*Since "CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY" went into effect, in AZ...She was willing to consider a car gun (School Teacher, can't pack in purse, on campus---unless we move to TX!)*

Got her to go to NSSF - First Shots Class
*GREAT CLASS-to get her educated w/ safety & hear things from someone, other than me (which affirm our range discussions).

Since she's not really interested in getting heavy into shooting/competitions, we opted for a revolver. Traded my G27 for her a S&W 640-1 (pre-lock) / .357

It's Loaded w/ .38 +P
(more comfy for her)

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd22/desertdisciple/IMG00037.jpg

*And we still keep a stainless S&W 6" - full lug, stashed @ home, if she needs one there.

Beat Trash
09-05-10, 13:24
Desertdisciple

The 640 you show pictured is a great choice for what you intend to use it for.

Sometimes they need a dab of bright fingernail polish on the front sight blade to help see the sight better.

The important thing is to have a gun she is comfortable with.

Welcome to the forum...

Hmac
09-05-10, 13:39
My wife's hands are average size for a woman. When she wanted a less complicated pistol than the Colt Mustang she's had for years, she found she hated all the double-stack compact 9's out there. I was rooting for the Glock 26 Blue Label discount, but she hated the fat grip - same for the M&P 9C. She finally opted for a Walther PPS. Really slim grip so she can grasp it firmly, and the mid-length magazine gives a great purchase for a thumbs forward grip, and would work well when only one hand is supplying most of the grasp. The other advantage is that the PPS is so low profile and flat that it's far easier for her to carry it IWB or OWB and not have it print. Unless your wife has a particularly large shooting hand, I suspect she'll find the usual run of compacts with double stack magazines will be hard for her to manage, and if she's as slim as my wife, carrying it (if she ever does) will be difficult as well.

http://mccollister.info/ccwpistolsw.jpg

Watrdawg
09-05-10, 20:42
In 1991 I got my mother a Colt Detective Special 38. She's had it ever since and loves to shoot it. It's a great little 38 and has enough weight that recoil isn't bad at all for her. She's 66 and still shoots it every now and then.

MichaelD
09-05-10, 22:32
Have your wife shoot everything she can at every range in your area which rents guns, then let her choose the one she likes the best.

Hmac
09-05-10, 22:47
Have your wife shoot everything she can at every range in your area which rents guns, then let her choose the one she likes the best.
That sounds really simple, but how many ranges are there in your area that rent guns? The closest ones around here are more than 2 hours away. Best we can do is fondle the weapons at the local Gander Mountain. That might be a reasonable alternative if only the gun salesmen there had a clue as to what they were talking about.

MichaelD
09-06-10, 06:16
That sounds really simple, but how many ranges are there in your area that rent guns?

I know of at least five within a 45-minute drive of my home, and three of those are less than 15 minutes away.

Hmac
09-06-10, 07:20
I know of at least five within a 45-minute drive of my home, and three of those are less than 15 minutes away.

Lucky you. If the OP lives somewhere like you instead of somewhere like me, and if his wife doesn't mind a shopping trip to the range, then he's in business.

SteveL
09-06-10, 08:17
I recently took my wife to the range to try out my M&P 9c and 9 FS. Both have CTC laser grips. She didn't care for the compact at all, but took to the FS fairly well. I think she felt like she didn't have adequate control over the compact due to the shorter grip.

Hmac
09-06-10, 08:29
Yes, if the OP's wife is going to be mostly one-handed shooting due to her wrist injury, she's going to need all the grip she can get. IMHO, that rules out a compact like the G26 or M&P compacts, and unless her hands are large for a woman, it rules out pistols with double-stack magazines, which includes the Glocks and the M&P's. My wife can't get a good grip with thumbs-forward on my M&P 9L, nor on my son's Glock 17.

Omega Man
09-06-10, 08:47
I would go with an M&P9 fullsize. I leave a Sig P226 9mm with my wife all the time at home. It's got a 20 rd mag. But im going to be getting the M&P, so she wont have to deal with the DA first shot. With the APEX trigger of course.

She has only been to the range with me once. So i have to get her butt shooting again.

AZ-Renegade
09-06-10, 10:36
Before we were married, my wife carried my S&W 642 in a concealment purse everyday. While she liked how light the gun was, she hated shooting it.

I bought her a S&W Model 60 as a wedding present and she loves it! It doesn't hurt her hand like the airweight did and she likes the option of being able to thumb back the hammer and fire single action.

If your wife is not going to train alot with her gun, a revolver is probably your best option. Revolvers are relatively simple to use for people not used to operating firearms. Also, my wife always had problems operating the slide on smaller autos like my dad's Kahr 9 and my M&P40c.

Letting her pick out her gun is a very good idea, just be sure she is well informed to the pros and cons of different designs.