PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Pick My Accessories for my SBR

fire-ballz
04-04-07, 18:49
Gentlemen,

I need help on deciding what accessories to add on my SBR.

INFO on the gun as of now:

-LMT 10.5 complete upper + LMT Defender complete lower = stock
-Magpul Magazines
-Specter 3 Point Sling

I want to add several accessories but need your help on choosing which ones.

Optics:
Aimpoint or Eotech 511

Optics Mount (if Aimpoint):
LaRue LT150 or LT129

BUIS:
Troy Folding Sights or LMT BUIS

Tactical Handguards:
KAC M4 Ras or Daniel Defense Carbine Tactical Free Float or LaRue Tactical Handguard 7

Vertical Grip:
Knights Armament or TangoDown

Stock:
SOPMOD or Magpul CTR

Help me out guys!!!

striped1
04-04-07, 20:36
aimpoint w. larue
Daniel Defense rail
troy folding sight
tango down vfg
SOPMOD

SuicideHz
04-04-07, 20:51
Eotech
Troy
DD
TD stubby because regular really is too long
CTR because of price but SOPMOD if you can afford it. Much nicer feel. Might as well get the UBR.

shark31
04-05-07, 10:10
Gentlemen,

I need help on deciding what accessories to add on my SBR.

INFO on the gun as of now:

-LMT 10.5 complete upper + LMT Defender complete lower = stock
-Magpul Magazines
-Specter 3 Point Sling LT/VICKERS

I want to add several accessories but need your help on choosing which ones.

Optics:
Aimpoint or Eotech 511

Optics Mount (if Aimpoint): LT150/M2
LaRue LT150 or LT129

BUIS:
Troy Folding Sights or LMT BUIS LARUE BUIS

Tactical Handguards:
KAC M4 Ras or Daniel Defense Carbine Tactical Free Float or LaRue Tactical Handguard 7
Vertical Grip:

Stock:
SOPMOD or Magpul CTR

Help me out guys!!!

JUST MY $.02
THEN SHOOT THE CRAP OUT OF IT.

Paulinski
04-05-07, 10:59
Aimpoint With LaRue Mount
DD Rail
Troy Buis
CTR

The shoot it till you can shoot no more. ;)

rob_s
04-05-07, 12:13
Aimpoint
Larue mount
LMT fixed BUIS
DD 7.0
Tango Down (prefer the new stubby)
CTR

Oh yeah, and ditch that 3-point sling and use one of the 2-point slings.

kbi
04-05-07, 13:17
EOtech
LMT Buis
KAC
Tango down
Magpul CTR

fire-ballz
04-05-07, 14:06
Most of you guys like the Daniel Defense Handguards. Are they better than the KAC or Larue Tactical guards?

I can't make up my mind about having a 1/3 co-witness w/ a fixed site or no co-witness w/ a flip up site. I'm worried that a flip up site will end up breaking if the rifle was dropped.

rob_s
04-05-07, 14:08
DD is lighter. I think Larue is better, but I like light.

With a non-magnified optic fixed BUIS are faster.

shark31
04-05-07, 14:22
DD is lighter. I think Larue is better, but I like light.

With a non-magnified optic fixed BUIS are faster.

I would say that once you add a sling mount, the weight would be about the same. Am I off?

Completely agree with the fixed BUIS. I find that the Larue BUIS leaves better access to the charging handle. Even if you change the thumbscrew to a nut on the LMT, the screw is still on the left side and gets in my way. The Larue BUIS is cheaper too.

rob_s
04-05-07, 14:53
I would say that once you add a sling mount, the weight would be about the same. Am I off?

I don't know, and I won't be in a place to weigh my stuff for quite awhile. According to the maryland AR shooters site, the Dd weighs 8.5 oz and the LT weighs 11. Beyond that it would all depend on what kind of sling attachment you're talking about. If you use the LT rail you still have to use a pushbutton QD loop, but you can attach a fixed loop to the DD and do away with that.

fire-ballz
04-05-07, 15:41
I don't know, and I won't be in a place to weigh my stuff for quite awhile. According to the maryland AR shooters site, the Dd weighs 8.5 oz and the LT weighs 11. Beyond that it would all depend on what kind of sling attachment you're talking about. If you use the LT rail you still have to use a pushbutton QD loop, but you can attach a fixed loop to the DD and do away with that.

So This would make the DD a better alternative to the LaRue Handguards for weight saving purposes? If both are on par with build quality and durability, I guess the DD would be a better choice because of the weight savings. Am I right?

Robb Jensen
04-05-07, 15:46
Aimpoint & Larue LT150 mount
of the 2 you said, I'd go w/Troy rear sight (personally I like fixed rear sights and use the Larue BUIS)
DD 7.0 Lite rail
KAC forward grip
Magpul CTR

CoCop
04-07-07, 01:27
EoTech
Yankee Hill rear sight
Troy Rail or DD Rail
Tango Down
CTR
Vtac/LaRue Sling

Derek_Connor
04-07-07, 09:08
Get what you want :)

caporider
04-07-07, 09:26
If you're DIY just remember the DD Light Rail requires a dedicated wrench, which you'll have to add to the cost of the unit if you can't borrow one. The Light Rail is also a pain if you want to move to a gas block under your rails.

The Larue handguards are very easy to install and are bombproof. If you're using a low profile gas block, you don't even need to remove the muzzle device or gas block to swap out handguard lengths (once you have a set of the Larue handguards installed).

Also a big +1 on the shorty TD VFG. I put mine on an ARMS #17DR QD rail (just until Larue Tactical decides to make a short piece of pic rail!).

http://www.visuality.com/personal/6_8/68_sbrphoto.jpg

SuicideHz
04-07-07, 14:12
Derek- He IS getting what he wants but unfortunately he doesn't know what he wants 100%. ;)

fire-ballz
04-07-07, 15:21
Derek- He IS getting what he wants but unfortunately he doesn't know what he wants 100%. ;)

This pretty much sums it up :D

As of now, I am leaning towards:

1. LaRue BUIS
2. Aimpoint with LT-150
3. LaRue 7 Handguards
4. TangoDown Stubby VG
5. Magpul CTR

However, this can change :rolleyes:

I hate too many choices. Makes me so stressed :confused:

rob_s
04-07-07, 16:14
If you're DIY just remember the DD Light Rail requires a dedicated wrench, which you'll have to add to the cost of the unit if you can't borrow one. The Light Rail is also a pain if you want to move to a gas block under your rails.

The Larue handguards are very easy to install and are bombproof. If you're using a low profile gas block, you don't even need to remove the muzzle device or gas block to swap out handguard lengths (once you have a set of the Larue handguards installed).

Also a big +1 on the shorty TD VFG. I put mine on an ARMS #17DR QD rail (just until Larue Tactical decides to make a short piece of pic rail!).

That is EXACTLY what I want to do with mine. #17DR QD is the ARMS product #? I just want to make sure I order the right thing.

SuicideHz
04-07-07, 16:21
That is EXACTLY what I want to do with mine. #17DR QD is the ARMS product #? I just want to make sure I order the right thing.

I'm going to use my LT110 for my VFG QD.

http://www.zoto.com/suicidehz/img/45/81997225ec63d541c2f8865e8fb854f2.jpg

Ignore the Ghett0 light and mount. That's all I could come up with on short notice.

The TD VFG doesn't catch both notches on that Eotech mount's hump. There'd have to be a notch cut through the grip to slide past the tension nut. It wouldn't affect the strength.

Neat idea?

Derek_Connor
04-07-07, 18:30

Get what you need then....:D

caporider
04-07-07, 21:37

Yep, ARMS #17DR. You'll have to sand down the top of the VFG to get it to fit - the clearance on the ARMS mount is not to spec. Once you get it on, though, it will be tight and very solid. In fact, the VFG is probably not coming off the ARMS mount again without a lot of swearing... ;)

SuicideHz
04-07-07, 22:45
I don't think it's necessarily not to spec. As I recall, the picatinny specs give a range for the height of the rail from the base. ARMS chose to make their bases close to the shorter end and TD made their grips with a little more meat to take advantage of rails that are at the higher end of the range.

That's just what I remember from my days at TOS way back when everyone would bitch about ARMS.

CarlosDJackal
04-15-07, 12:00
From your list I can recommend:

UPPER: LMT 10.5 complete upper (mine has an RRA lower which I assembled myself so I cannot say anything for or against the LMT lower).

MAGAZINES: Magpul Magazines (No first-hand experience, but from what I've heard these are awesome). I have a bunch of the Brownells mags and have not had a single problem.

OPTICS: Aimpoint (I own both ML2 & ML3 plus a 3x Magnifier on a Samson flip mount).

OPTICS MOUNT: I cannot say anything for or against the Larue mounts. I use ARMS mounts for my Aimpoint.

BUIS: whichever one you like the best. I use a cheap copy of the MAD that Brownell's sells for a song. I've been very happy with it so far.

HANDGUARD: Whichever fits your needs.

Vertical Grip: I use a Grippod. The only con on this is it's a little too long for my liking. Otherwise, I like it.

Stock: Magpul CTR - I can't say enough great things about this stock.

Good luck!!

rsilvers
04-15-07, 20:14
Optics:
Aimpoint or Eotech 511

Optics Mount (if Aimpoint):
LaRue LT150 or LT129

BUIS:
Troy Folding Sights or LMT BUIS

Tactical Handguards:

Vertical Grip:

Stock:
SOPMOD or Magpul CTR

Help me out guys!!!

Optics -- I go back and forth on this. I prefer the Eotech when I am using it. The AIMPOINT is nice in that you can leave it on for 5 years and the battery lasts. I am starting to really like this feature. Right now, today, I would go AIMPOINT. The Eotech is also kinda fugly.

Handguard -- KAC, DD, or Larue are all nice. I pick KAC first.

Grip: I hate them, but would go KAC over Tango Down. TD is too fat and I dislike how it mounts.

BUIS -- I like KAC 300 or 600 meter best. If not that, then I would go ARMS.

Stock: I used to like SOPMOD best. CTR is my current favorite. It does not hurt that it costs less, but I would still like it best even if it cost 2x the price.

NickB
04-15-07, 20:20

Wow!:eek: