PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first AR

xx AG xx
02-07-10, 22:49
Well,

I have decided to buy my first AR when the tax man gives me my tax return.

I have narrowed it down to 4 that I am looking at.

First off...

1) Colt 6920

2) LMT Defender

3) S&W MP AR 15 Tactical W/ Quad rail

4) Stag Model 2T

A few things......

It will be for HD and it might end up being a patrol rifle if my employer will allow it. I also plan on taking some classes with it as well.

I don't know anything about rifles, so it will be a learning process for me as well. ( I know, if I buy the parts, it will come out cheaper, but I would prefer an already assembled rilfe for my first one.)

The reason I am looking at the MP is due to the fact that it comes with a FF Rail on it already and is something I would like to have already on the gun. There is an LMT model that comes with a rail, but it would put the rilfe out of my price range. I have not seen a 6920 that comes with a FF rail on it already.

I have read over the Rob_s chart and some of the other links posted here and have been reading up on the 4 AR's I listed and others as well for the last 2 months.

So, Whats your take on my 4 selections.

Any feedback, suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

AG

jhs1969
02-08-10, 01:07
I like your first two choices, I have both myself. In my own personal opinion I would consider the S&W as the minimum and would drop the Stag. I would chose from as far left on the chart as possible. I would not be too concerned with a FF rail on a carbine intended for HD or duty use, I have a non-FF KAC on my LMT and have been pleased with it. You can get a DD Omega rail that is both a drop in and free floats. If you truly want a FF on it out of the box I would suggest looking at BCM (I highly suggest taking a look at them anyway) as they offer many options on their uppers, including many different rail options. I've had my LMT for about three years now and got a 6920 two weeks ago for $1099. If you look around you can find some decent prices on quality carbines right now. Also take a look at what DD has to offer. The biggest point I would like to make is to buy quality, I would much rather have a quality carbine than to get a lower quality carbine with more bells and whistles on it. You can always add the gadgets later as money permits.

The most important add ons, IMO would probably be;
a RDS
a white light
and a good sling

You can add these without neccsairly having a rail. I've heard it said many times "buy cheap buy twice, buy quailty buy once". I think most would agree.

jp0319
02-08-10, 01:23
Of your two choices I would say 1 or 2 for sure given your stated uses. Of those two number 1 would be my first choice. That said have you considered Daniel Defense or Noveske? Both are also excellent choices, have cold Hammer forged Barrels, and all the other milspec parts. DD makes the DDXV which is the same setup as the 6920 but for less money and with a CHF barrel. Noveske makes a model (N4 Basic) which is also in the same layout as the 6920 and again has a CHF barrel and price wise is close to the colt. Just some options to look at.

xx AG xx
02-08-10, 10:12
Of your two choices I would say 1 or 2 for sure given your stated uses. Of those two number 1 would be my first choice. That said have you considered Daniel Defense or Noveske? Both are also excellent choices, have cold Hammer forged Barrels, and all the other milspec parts. DD makes the DDXV which is the same setup as the 6920 but for less money and with a CHF barrel. Noveske makes a model (N4 Basic) which is also in the same layout as the 6920 and again has a CHF barrel and price wise is close to the colt. Just some options to look at.

I did look at the DD and Noveske Rifles. I could not find much info on the Daniel Defense rifles other than just buying them in parts and putting them together myself, which at this time I do not want to do. As for the Noveske rifles, I would love one of those, but the ones I have found are out of my price range, at least from what I was able to find online. If anyone has links to get them in a full rifle at a decent price, please post as I would consider them as well.

I know, I am a newb when it comes to AR rifles in general, that's why I like to come here ad read as much as possible :D.

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.

AG

xx AG xx
02-08-10, 10:26
I did a little more reading and it seems as though the DD with the rails has almost the same specs as the Colt 6920 that are outlined in the chart.

Can anyone else clarify on the similarities between both rifles using the chart?

AG

spamsammich
02-08-10, 10:31
DD rifles have features not captured in the chart that are considered improvements in ergonomics. Things like flared mag wells, extra QD attachment points, extended ff rails (depending on the model you get), magpul furniture. They are A LOT of rifle for the money, especially considering you get a CHF barrel at under 1k. Check out the deal aimsurplus.com has going on the XV M4.

jsmithy
02-08-10, 10:35
I like your first two choices, I have both myself. In my own personal opinion I would consider the S&W as the minimum and would drop the Stag. I would chose from as far left on the chart as possible. I would not be too concerned with a FF rail on a carbine intended for HD or duty use, I have a non-FF KAC on my LMT and have been pleased with it. You can get a DD Omega rail that is both a drop in and free floats. If you truly want a FF on it out of the box I would suggest looking at BCM (I highly suggest taking a look at them anyway) as they offer many options on their uppers, including many different rail options. I've had my LMT for about three years now and got a 6920 two weeks ago for $1099. If you look around you can find some decent prices on quality carbines right now. Also take a look at what DD has to offer. The biggest point I would like to make is to buy quality, I would much rather have a quality carbine than to get a lower quality carbine with more bells and whistles on it. You can always add the gadgets later as money permits.

The most important add ons, IMO would probably be;
a RDS
a white light
and a good sling

You can add these without neccsairly having a rail. I've heard it said many times "buy cheap buy twice, buy quailty buy once". I think most would agree.

I would second this advice. Give a hard look at the Bravo Company offerings if you reconsider assembling one yourself. It is not terribly difficult.

I have also seen the Colt 6920's in the $1,099 range recently. I would probably suggest the Colt 6920 over anything else if you want to buy a quality assembled rifle.

Oh...Read, Read and Read some more on this sight. There is lots of useful information with facts to back it up in a lot of cases. This is the best site I have found for sound information. It seems the majority of users are professionals and well versed in weaponry.

dashotgun
02-08-10, 10:42
cold hammered forged a manufacturing method which will allow a longer barrel longevity. Daniel defense are sold in multiple places check online I think I got mine form peach state guns. you would have to have a local guns store accept the shipment for a nominal fee. I paid under a thousand shipped for mine the FFL fee was around 30 bucks. David

http://shop.peachstateguns.com/product.sc?productId=652&categoryId=71 peach state ddxv 989

xx AG xx
02-08-10, 22:25
While considering the Colt 6920, I am also leaning a little to the Daniel Defense line of AR's. It seems as though there specs are just about on par with the Colts.

Any one have any feedback on the 2 being compared.

AG

jhs1969
02-08-10, 22:54
While considering the Colt 6920, I am also leaning a little to the Daniel Defense line of AR's. It seems as though there specs are just about on par with the Colts.

Any one have any feedback on the 2 being compared.

AG

I don't have any experience with DD nor BCM but from their rankings and what others here have said I would probably look for the best price on either Colt, BCM or DD. I think either would serve you well.

Good luck.

pofboom
02-10-10, 20:53
I have had experience with the DDM4 with the extended rails. It is a great gun, recoils like a 22 cal and it is very accurate. It is a very light gun for what you see and it is very maneuverable. You may not appreciate it at first but that extended rail is great for mounting any kind of light without a laser attachment and it tucks itself under the front sight base and you won't have to worry about finding offset mounts or thing like that. you will not regret buying a DDM4. It is a very tight gun with no wobble in it and it feels great. I actually like choice s 2 and 3 but I will lean more towards choice 2 because I do not like the 1:9 twist of the M&P.

Best of luck

xx AG xx
02-10-10, 22:44
I have had experience with the DDM4 with the extended rails. It is a great gun, recoils like a 22 cal and it is very accurate. It is a very light gun for what you see and it is very maneuverable. You may not appreciate it at first but that extended rail is great for mounting any kind of light without a laser attachment and it tucks itself under the front sight base and you won't have to worry about finding offset mounts or thing like that. you will not regret buying a DDM4. It is a very tight gun with no wobble in it and it feels great. I actually like choice s 2 and 3 but I will lean more towards choice 2 because I do not like the 1:9 twist of the M&P.

Best of luck

Thanks for the input. I would like to stick to the 1:7 twist for whatever I end up getting.

While I am still leaning towards the Colt 6920, The Daniel Defense DDM4v2 looks like an awesome rifle.

It is a bit more than the Colt, but since it has the same specs as the Colt per the chart, I woud not mind paying a little more for it, plus it is a HOT looking rifle.

Has anyone else had a chance to shoot one of these DD guns?

AG

Marty916
02-10-10, 22:49
I have a DDXV and am very happy with it. Excellent quality components and a great "base" gun to personalize. I would definitely recommend it.