PDA

View Full Version : 10.5" SBR cycling question

TacDoc
07-11-06, 18:10
Planning on a 10.5 SBR. This will be the setup:

Noveske 10.5 bbl
Noveske KX3 (with the pig of course :D )
FA LMT BCG
VLTOR Modstock & regular CAR spring (the one included in the kit)
And a few other goodies that have nothing to do with the action of the gun (Troy MRF-MX 10", PRi gas buster, etc.)

I need some imput on what buffer weight will be best for this setup: regular, H or 9mm? Also regular buffer spring vs Wolff enhanced spring?
What are you running on your SBR's?

I really want a RELIABLE 10.5" and don't want to end with a bunch of unused spare parts due to trial & error.

Please help me save a few bucks on this build.

VA_Dinger
07-11-06, 18:44
I have had zero failures with this set-up so far, both with standard LMT 10.5" uppers and Noveske CQB barrels w/Krinks.

ISMI buffer spring - but I had no failures with a standard buffer spring.
H2 buffer
LMT M16 carrier w/standard bolt (Wolf HD extractor spring & CRANE O-ring)

Keep it reasonably clean and very well lubricated & feed it decent ammo in HK or USGI mags and you will be good to go.

TacDoc
07-11-06, 19:07
What does ISMI stands for?

VA_Dinger
07-11-06, 19:20
What does ISMI stands for?

This should explain it.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/ismi.htm

While I had not had any reliability issues with my old buffer spring yet, it had about 5-7 thousand rounds through it so I figured it was time to go. I replaced it with the higher quality ISMI spring. It was changed as a preventative maintenance measure. The new ISMI was at least 1 ½ longer than the old spring.

TacDoc
07-11-06, 19:31
Thank you VA_Dinger. Now I'm more confident with this setup... you know if you are going to spend 2+ grand on a new toy it better do the trick!

M4arc
07-11-06, 19:37
My LMT 10.5" is fairly new but so far has been 100% reliable:

- H2 Buffer
- Standard Buffer Spring (will replace with an ISMI eventually)
- M16 BCG
- Noveske Krink
- Wolff HD Extractor Spring

Todd.K
07-11-06, 22:08
Run an H2 buffer and O-ring.
Use a bolt that is properly headspaced.

I'd like to see people change the extractor instead of just the extractor spring, they can wear an it's only a few bucks more at about 5k (unless you do alot of FA)

Enjoy

Robb Jensen
07-12-06, 05:16
I have an 11.5" CMMG barrel with a Noveske KX3, Larue gas block, CMT bolt w/Crane O ring and a Wolff M4 Extractor spring, RRA 'enhanced' carrier, Enidine buffer with a Brownells chrome silicone (standard strength) buffer spring and it's been 100% reliable even with Radway Green and Wolf brass cased Serbian ammo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/1fc5f20c.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/b73a10d1.jpg

CapnCrunch
07-12-06, 16:24
I have an 11.5" CMMG barrel with a Noveske KX3, Crane O ring and a Wolff M4 Extractor spring, Enidine buffer with a Brownells chrome silicone (standard strength) buffer spring and it's been 100% reliable even with Radway Green and Wolf brass cased Serbian ammo.
I use a combo very close to that for my 11.5". I'm running the Enidine, Brownells CS standard strength buffer spring, a Wolff M4 Extractor, and a MGI D-Ring. I'll probably switch back to the "2" buffer before all is said and done, just because the Enidine will be going in another rifle.

It's got a Vortex up front, just cause I'm too cheap to buy the Noveske and too lazy to maintain it.

Beren
07-28-06, 14:35
I just bought a LMT 10.5" upper from Bravo a few weeks ago. I'm using a CMT bolt group and buffer I bought from Grant last year with it. I believe the buffer is an H2 (will need to double check) and the buffer spring is just a standard Colt carbine buffer spring.

One failure through 300 rounds of RG. I had a round fail to fully chamber. A tap of the FA seated the round. No other issues were experienced.

ANGST
07-28-06, 18:40
I am running a JT upper, CMT bolt and a cheapo noname buffer/spring in my 10.5" and it is running flawlessly after 300 rounds now YMMV

http://www.speakeasy.org/~sk8r/sbr.jpg

KevinB
07-28-06, 21:46
10.5 LMT on Colt M4A1
stock Colt M4 bolt
H buffer
gasbuster CH

back to A2 FH now that I killed the can...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Afghan%20Take%20II/Kevshooting.jpg

Over 2k round - 1 FTE (which I blame on LC as the casing looked a wee bit odd once I butt to decked)

rsilvers
07-28-06, 23:55
http://www.silencertests.com/albums/LMT/IMG_0802.sized.jpg

I have had tried almost every buffer out there. I prefer the H or H2. You should ask Noveske of course.

I would start with an H2 and if the action will not lock open on an empty mag, switch to an H.

I like chrome-silicon springs, but I don't like extra-power recoil springs in a short barrel. I would save them for a 16" or longer barrel. Brownells sells a standard-power chrome-silicon spring which is what I am using now.

I have MacFarland gas rings -- I don't think they make any difference, but it seems like a nicer design so I put them in.

And I use a Wolff extra power extractor spring. I believe the D-fenders to be good for sure, and proper o-rings to be good also.

JLM
08-21-06, 22:01
Brownells sells a standard-power chrome-silicon spring which is what I am using now

Anyone have the part number handy for that item?

bigbore
08-21-06, 22:24
Fixed it for you

Planning on a 10.5 SBR. This will be the setup:

Wilson 11.5 bbl - you'll never know the difference in the name
vortex for future addition of OPS INC 14th model.
FA LMT BCG
VLTOR Modstock & regular CAR spring (the one included in the kit)
9mm buffer
CRANE/SOPMOD issue O-Ring

Please help me save a few bucks on this build.

11.5"s do run better than 10.5", its just the nature of the design. Not saying 10.5"s dont work, but 11.5" is better.

You will probably want a suppressor in the future, once you hear one on a SBR.

TacDoc
08-22-06, 16:40
Fixed it for you

11.5"s do run better than 10.5", its just the nature of the design. Not saying 10.5"s dont work, but 11.5" is better.

You will probably want a suppressor in the future, once you hear one on a SBR.

Too late, I already have all the components posted above. Just waiting for the Noveske 10.5 bbl. For sure I'll want a suppresor... but I gess this will not be my only SBR :D

WILDBILL
02-18-07, 07:41
How will a 9mm buffer run in a 10.5 LMT UPPER with a FA BCG ??? Has any one every tried it out before ??

Robb Jensen
02-18-07, 09:25
How will a 9mm buffer run in a 10.5 LMT UPPER with a FA BCG ??? Has any one every tried it out before ??

A friend of my has a 14.5" full auto and uses a 9mm buffer. On auto it's slow enough that I can release the trigger fast enough to allow only 1 round to fire. I'm sure on a 10.5" with the same set up I couldn't. Other than that, his works very well.

QuietShootr
02-18-07, 11:41

That's exactly my setup. I have a few thousand rounds through it with no malfunctions.

WILDBILL
03-02-07, 08:50
I plan on getting a MK18 MOD0 Upper/LMT 10.5'' Would a H3 or a 9MM buffer soften the recoil/ Muzzel jump any? I have never shot a Ar15 upper ant shorter than a 14.5'' with phatom to make it Legal 16.''

WILDBILL
03-02-07, 09:05
I plan on getting a MK18 MOD0 Upper/LMT 10.5'' Would a H3 or a 9MM buffer soften the recoil/ Muzzel jump any? I have never shot a Ar15 upper ant shorter than a 14.5'' with phatom to make it Legal 16.''