PDA

View Full Version : On the M&P series pistols...

Slater
02-08-10, 07:14
Have yet to even handle one of these but the near universal positive reviews say it's a winner.

I know that there have been some minor teething problems that S&W has worked to overcome and by all accounts these have been (or are being) addressed. Looking at all three calibers (9mm, .40, .45), has any one seemed to be more trouble-free than the others?

RogerinTPA
02-08-10, 07:36
I haven't had any problems with my M&Ps in those calibers with 3 to 4k on each weapon. The 9 and 9c gets shot the most due to cost.

D.O.A.F.S.
02-08-10, 10:01
Do your self a favor and find someone that has one and try it before you buy. Before I get flamed for this being my first post and taking shots at the M&P, I'm not a professional, just an average joe that likes to shoot. I always wanted a 45 and loved the way the M&P45 felt in my hand compared to the others( glock,xd,etc) but was SUPER disappointed after I shot it. The trigger was horrible and the slide release impossible to manipulate with your thumb alone. Everyone says these all improve with use, which they may, but IMHO they should be alot better out of the box. I have since put an Apex sear in and took a stone to the slide relaese and notch in the slide and this has made a huge difference. The more I shoot it the more I like it but my initial impression was not good.

CaptainDooley
02-08-10, 10:19
Not to discount what you said - but your issues with it were apparently easy fixes... I agree, the M&Ps should just come with the Performance Center sear - but they don't and the APEX is a quick change out. To me it was worth it to get add a couple parts to get the benefits of the M&P system...

M4arc
02-08-10, 10:25
Not to discount what you said - but your issues with it were apparently easy fixes... I agree, the M&Ps should just come with the Performance Center sear - but they don't and the APEX is a quick change out. To me it was worth it to get add a couple parts to get the benefits of the M&P system...

The APEX sear certainly helps to level the playing field. One reason I never totally commited to the M&P was the wide variations of triggers (from gun to gun and model to model) and the high price to make two guns consistant with each other. Before the APEX sear you either had to send your M&P off to Bowie or Burwell at the cost of $125+ or send it to S&W for a performance sear at the cost of $150+ after you factored in shipping.

That's crazy.

However, now that APEX has released a $30 sear it's much easier to adopt the M&P and have different models with consistant trigger pulls.

D.O.A.F.S.
02-08-10, 14:08

I agree, but only because of the Apex sear. If not for that it would have meant shipping a new pistol out and spending another $100 to $150 on it or selling. Neither a very good option after spending $550 on it to begin with. With the sear and a little work on the slide release (I got the information off posts on here, great resourse THANKS) I'm growing to like it more and more all the time and intend on shooting the hell out of it. I just made the recommendation for him to shoot one before he buys this or any other pistol for that matter so he is not where I was regretting the purchase at first. If I would of shot one with a factory sear I would not have bought it, BUT with that said with the Apex sear install, and it is a very easy install, it's a WHOLE different pistol, thus I'm looking to get a M&P 9.

John_Wayne777
02-08-10, 17:39
Have yet to even handle one of these but the near universal positive reviews say it's a winner.

I know that there have been some minor teething problems that S&W has worked to overcome and by all accounts these have been (or are being) addressed. Looking at all three calibers (9mm, .40, .45), has any one seemed to be more trouble-free than the others?

The 9mm versions have had some issues with some types of ammo due to S&W trying to use one extractor with all calibers. This led to FTX issues that ranged from rare (I only experienced one) to intermittent to consistent. They will now retrofit a new extractor on any guns that have issues. You can tell an old extractor gun from a new extractor gun by looking at the pin holding the extractor. A roll pin indicates a new extractor, a solid pin indicates an old pin.

Other than that there haven't been any caliber specific M&P issues, just issues with M&P's in general like the fragile strikers.

The step down in reliability seen with the .40 vs. 9mm Glocks hasn't been seen in the M&P family to the best of my knowledge.

As for what M&P to buy, I strongly suggest calling Grant up and talking to him. He can get you an LE M&P (better QC and an extra mag) and he's going to be offering Apex trigger parts and services on guns he sells.

S391
02-08-10, 18:10
I own 2 9mm M&P's: a full size and a 9L. I have shot more than 5000 rounds through the pair in the last year and I have had exactly one FTF (which turned out to be a problem with one of my reloads).

JHC
02-08-10, 19:21
I too have been slow to warm to the pistol even while accepting it is a very good gun. I'm into Glock to the tune of 6 of their 9mm models and quite happy with them. I've just now bought a Pro 9 however and I'm quite smitten by it with just 400 rounds through it. I intend to shoot it in our local "action pistol" and 3 gun matches and see how it's ergonomic advantages pan out.

I'm a good way yet from replacing my G19 carry gun at this time however. But Im seriously thinking about a full size 9 or the 4" .45 model with plans up front to send it to S&W for their trigger package - and see if they'll do the MA combo with that. It would be nice if the extra work wasn't necessary but I've spent about $100 or a little more sometimes putting better sights on each of my Glocks too. If I bought a $800 1911 (also a favorite design) I'd be several hundred dollars away from truly squaring it away for serious hard use.

Fire_Medic
02-08-10, 19:42
I bought my first M&P on Friday night. It feels great in the hand as far as ergonomics and feels very balanced. However, my gun was having an issue that seemed related to the trigger bar sitting to high and rubbing the slide. I did not shoot it all weekend and took it back to my dealer today who was kind enough to take care of me and replace it with another one. I took it out today for a quick 100 rounds and it shot well with absolutely no issues. By no means is this enough to rounds to make any kind of judgement on the gun but it's all I had time for today. It recoils less than my G17 (recoil is no biggie in the 9mm Glock just an observation) but the trigger is taking some getting use to. I have become accustomed to the short reset on my Glock with the Ghost rocket connector. I'm not 100% sold on the M&P yet, but hopefully the second one restores my faith, wasn't cool getting a gun that had an issue before I even fired it, but that could happen with any make/model I suppose. Has just never happened to me with ANY Glock I owned. I will be taking this M&P with me to a Carbine class later this month, we'll see how it behaves. For the moment I'm kind of regretting not getting the Glock I had in my hands, hopefully this all changes. The ergonomics for "my" hands really are much better on the M&P than the Glock.

nwcatman
02-08-10, 21:05
how hard is the apex sear to install if ur not a dyed in the wool certified qualified gunsmith but like to dik around a little w/pistols? very subjective question, that i understand but....... any other mods besides sights reccommended? i have a foredom tool, could do some light polishing (not removing). thanks

John_Wayne777
02-08-10, 21:10
It's not hard at all. I documented how I did it in the Apex thread here in the Handguns forum.

rauchman
02-08-10, 21:29
Do your self a favor and find someone that has one and try it before you buy. Before I get flamed for this being my first post and taking shots at the M&P, I'm not a professional, just an average joe that likes to shoot. I always wanted a 45 and loved the way the M&P45 felt in my hand compared to the others( glock,xd,etc) but was SUPER disappointed after I shot it. The trigger was horrible and the slide release impossible to manipulate with your thumb alone. Everyone says these all improve with use, which they may, but IMHO they should be alot better out of the box. I have since put an Apex sear in and took a stone to the slide relaese and notch in the slide and this has made a huge difference. The more I shoot it the more I like it but my initial impression was not good.

This was my experience as well. I picked up a used M&P40 w/ night sights and the trigger was absolutely horrible. After doing Dave Burwell's home trigger job, the trigger no longer had grittyness/crunchyness. I recently installed the Apex Tactical sear and this reduced trigger weight and made the reset noticeable.

The trigger, as it comes from the factory, is horrible. These guns really should come w/ the PC sear, and is it too much to ask that the trigger parts are smoothed out some from the factory?

Having said that, NOW I enjoy the pistol. It does hold very nicely in the hand and it does have a somewhat more manageable recoil signature than a G22. Interested in shooting the M&P in 9mm and .45 as I like to shoot these calibers better.

rauchman
02-08-10, 21:31
how hard is the apex sear to install if ur not a dyed in the wool certified qualified gunsmith but like to dik around a little w/pistols? very subjective question, that i understand but....... any other mods besides sights reccommended? i have a foredom tool, could do some light polishing (not removing). thanks

It is a pretty easy process. Having a 1/8" roll pin punch and 1/16" punch helps tremendously. I did mine based on the instructions from Dave Burwell's site and there is a video on youtube.

markm
02-08-10, 21:33

My experience exactly, and I consider myself well beyond an "average joe" when it comes to shooting. I'm back ordred on the next batch of APEX sears right now.... And I have my roll pin punch on order from brownells.

I've never had any issues carrying box stock pistols in the past, but there's no way I'd carry this gun right now. My personal confidence standard for a carry pistol is a guaranteed hit on a 4" square at 15 yards. Not possible for me with this horrible trigger.

NCPatrolAR
02-08-10, 21:42
The factory triggers smooth out after a while. My duty gun wasnt the greatest out of the box; but it is much better now. Of course I would add the Apex sear if I could; but that isnt an option.

nwcatman
02-08-10, 21:46
It's not hard at all. I documented how I did it in the Apex thread here in the Handguns forum.

link me to it please.

nwcatman
02-08-10, 22:12
never mind. i found it and saved it. finally!!

texag
02-08-10, 23:10
The 9mm versions have had some issues with some types of ammo due to S&W trying to use one extractor with all calibers. This led to FTX issues that ranged from rare (I only experienced one) to intermittent to consistent. They will now retrofit a new extractor on any guns that have issues. You can tell an old extractor gun from a new extractor gun by looking at the pin holding the extractor. A roll pin indicates a new extractor, a solid pin indicates an old pin.

Is this problem something that should manifest itself early in the pistol's life, or is it something that pops up later? I have a pro with the solid pin, but have had no issues at ~3k in about 9 months. I assume I'm fine, but just wanted to check.

RUSKI
02-09-10, 04:23
2 yrs ago one of my best friends asked me to help him pick out a pistol. His choices came down to a Glock 19, Glock 23, Beretta 92fs, Beretta 90-Two in 9 or .40, and a M&P in 9 or .40. My friend stated he is too lazy to clean guns often and wanted to try them out after they where dirty. A buddy from church had the Glocks and I provided the Beretta 90-Two in 9mm. We didnt clean our pistols after our after church shooting sessions, and did not add any lube to them either. We took my good friend to the range and he rented the Beretta 90-Two in .40 and the 2 M&Ps at the range. We brought 100 rounds for each pistol we where going to shoot. The Glocks and Berettas functioned flawlessly and the M&Ps both jammed. The .40 jammed 2 times out of 100 rounds, the 9mm jammed 3 times in just 50 rounds. We asked the range master (who was a good friend of my buddy from church) and he stated both the M&Ps where less than 2 weeks old. I am guessing they might have had poor maintanance due to them being range toys but I was not impressed, neither was my friend, who ended up buying the Glock 23, and later a Beretta 90-Two in 9mm. I am sure what I experianced was a rarity, only because of all the great reviews of the M&Ps I have read. Either way I was turned off the M&P line for good. Ill stick to my Glock 21, 1911s and Beretta 90-Two.

spamsammich
02-09-10, 05:59
finally got around to putting the 2000th round down range with my M&P 9 FS (LE package w/ night sights & extra mag) over the weekend. I've had one failure to eject in roughly 2055 rounds. Did my own version of the Burwell sear mod and have an Apex sear on the way. For me, it's a keeper already as the trigger has smoothed out considerably. With a more pronounced reset, I can only imagine the gun will be even better.

John_Wayne777
02-09-10, 08:11
Is this problem something that should manifest itself early in the pistol's life, or is it something that pops up later? I have a pro with the solid pin, but have had no issues at ~3k in about 9 months. I assume I'm fine, but just wanted to check.

The extractor issue is one that should be evident fairly early on...but you must remember that as springs wear and aspects of the weapon's function change because of round count sometimes things that were marginally within the functional range can get pushed into the problematic range. Generally the extractors that have problems have problems with ammunition that uses a small rim, with Winchester White Box being probably the most conspicuous example.

HK45
02-10-10, 15:04
My friend stated he is too lazy to clean guns often and wanted to try them out after they where dirty.

You should have told him to get over his laziness if he wants a weapon that will keep him safe.

HES
02-10-10, 16:10
Ok while were on a general M&P subject here is another question; The slide release. The right side of the release I can sorta, kinda operate. The left hand side release, and this is important because I am a south paw, is nigh upon impossible for me to use. I'm talking XD(m) magazine ejection type of difficulty. I wind up just racking the slide. Is this a known issue with the side releases and a way to fix this problem? Should I keep shooting it until it loosens up? Call S&W? Take it to a smith for work? Do anything on my own?

Avenger29
02-10-10, 16:25
Will S&W do the extractor replacement if I just send in the slide?

I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping off the pistol itself and having to arrange to receive it (it ain't easy for me) even if S&W will cover the cost...I mean, I will do it if I have to, but would prefer not to.

Jay Cunningham
02-10-10, 16:34
I had a .45 that I subsequently sold.

It was a very accurate pistol but I do not care for the larger calibers as compared to 9mm pistols. The trigger was not very good out of the box. After thousands of dry-fires and live rounds, it smoothed out to be fairly decent but the reset was still almost non-existent. I had Burwell do a trigger job and it was pretty nice after that... had aftermarket sights installed as well.

I had several instances of failures to go fully into battery and some issues with the factory mags not dropping free.

I do have an order in for a PTC M&P9 which has many more features that I find desirable.

The M&P series are great handguns but of course they are not for everyone. I know several people who dropped their Glocks for M&Ps and after a year or so went back to their Glocks.

YMMV.

Business_Casual
02-10-10, 16:37
Will S&W do the extractor replacement if I just send in the slide?

I don't want to go through the hassle of shipping off the pistol itself and having to arrange to receive it (it ain't easy for me) even if S&W will cover the cost...I mean, I will do it if I have to, but would prefer not to.

You will have to call and discuss it with Smith and Wesson.

M_P

loupav
02-10-10, 16:54
I remember putting 10 rounds through someone else's M&P 45 at the range over a year ago. I also remember the trigger sucking big time.

But I must admit that surfing this forum has made me want my own M&P45 so I put a deposit on one (Full Size no manual safety) Monday. I'm very excited and can't wait to pick it up.

I'm thinking of sending it out to S&W for the PC sear and then to Heinie for some straight-8's. I want the sight picture to be the same as my HK45.

Maybe I'll get the APEX sear instead. I'll start searching. :D

RUSKI
02-10-10, 17:47
You should have told him to get over his laziness if he wants a weapon that will keep him safe.

I tried and tried. I gave up, some people think its fine to clean their guns about as often as they change their oil.

silentsod
02-10-10, 18:45
I tried and tried. I gave up, some people think its fine to clean their guns about as often as they change their oil.

I'm one of those people. 3605 rounds without cleaning and only one FTF at round 500. I keep it lubricated, but I don't see any reason to tear it down and clean it all that often.

VA_Dinger
02-10-10, 19:36
I owned an MP9 for over two years. Loved shooting the gun, but kept breaking strikers. I went through three of them over the last year due to dry firing. Guys suggest snap-caps to protect the striker, but I find them to be a pain in the ass so I switched back to 9mm Glocks. After a few range sessions and some serious dry I was back in action.

Robb Jensen
02-10-10, 19:46
You will have to call and discuss it with Smith and Wesson.

M_P

They'll likely want the whole gun. They polish the chamber and replace the extractor.
How I fixed my 9L was to replace the extractor with the Speed Shooter Specialties one and polish the chamber myself.
On my Pro I had Hatfields install a secondary extractor spring so it has dual springs now. I plan to replace this extractor as preventative maintenance soon and still double up on the extractor springs.

There are three reasons for the extraction issues with the M&Ps.
1. rough chamber from the finish applied to the stainless barrel.
2. poor extractor hook, all M&Ps regardless of caliber use the same extractors.
3. the M&P unlocks sooner than many pistols, lighter recoil springs exacerbate this.

M4arc
02-10-10, 20:13
I owned an MP9 for over two years. Loved shooting the gun, but kept breaking strikers. I went through three of them over the last year due to dry firing.

Must have been a fleet yaw thing...

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :D

I didn't break any strikers but I didn't dry fire either. I do want to point out that several guys on mp-pistol.com broke strikers WITHOUT dry firing (under normal firing) so I recommend that you have a spare on hand if you attend a class. So far it appears the 4th gen strikers are holding up well.

5pins
02-10-10, 20:20

Once every three years.:D

5pins
02-10-10, 20:27
A lot of people have stated how bad the trigger is with their M&P. Mine is vary nice, much better then my G19. Maybe I just got lucky. One of the reasons for not getting the M&P earlier was because I thought the trigger was going to be like my friends Sigma. Now that is one crappy trigger!

M4arc
02-10-10, 20:30
A lot of people have stated how bad the trigger is with their M&P. Mine is vary nice, much better then my G19. Maybe I just got lucky. One of the reasons for not getting the M&P earlier was because I thought the trigger was going to be like my friends Sigma. Now that is one crappy trigger!

There are huge variations in factory triggers. Some are quite nice and others are gritty rubish. As stated earlier this was the biggest complaint of mine but by almost all account the APEX corrects this so if you have a good trigger, great! If you are the other 99% then the APEX sear is the way to go.

markm
02-10-10, 21:16
The other thing (besides the terrible trigger) that sucks about this M&P thing is how hard the barrel is to get clean. :mad:

I typically like to get my pistol barrels damned near spotless, but this thing (45acp) is impossible. There's shmearing in the grooves for the first few inches of the rifleing that won't come out.

I end up just leaving it partially fouled rather than risk damaging the barrel with agressive cleaning.

silentsod
02-10-10, 21:47
The other thing (besides the terrible trigger) that sucks about this M&P thing is how hard the barrel is to get clean. :mad:

I typically like to get my pistol barrels damned near spotless, but this thing (45acp) is impossible. There's shmearing in the grooves for the first few inches of the rifleing that won't come out.

I end up just leaving it partially fouled rather than risk damaging the barrel with agressive cleaning.

Let it soak overnight. Problem solved.

Boss Hogg
02-10-10, 21:55
After finally getting used to the M&P 9mm, my only remaining complaint is the shape of the trigger. It's too much of a "fish hook" like the HK P30. Not a problem if you're going to shoot 15 rounds, but spend all day with it doing drills, and you'll notice.

For me, draw is slightly faster than a G17, splits are slightly slower, and reloads are noticeably faster.

Magsz
02-11-10, 12:05
After finally getting used to the M&P 9mm, my only remaining complaint is the shape of the trigger. It's too much of a "fish hook" like the HK P30. Not a problem if you're going to shoot 15 rounds, but spend all day with it doing drills, and you'll notice.

For me, draw is slightly faster than a G17, splits are slightly slower, and reloads are noticeably faster.

Trigger doesnt bother me. I think its more of a personal preference thing.

HES
02-11-10, 12:19
Ok while were on a general M&P subject here is another question; The slide release. The right side of the release I can sorta, kinda operate. The left hand side release, and this is important because I am a south paw, is nigh upon impossible for me to use. I'm talking XD(m) magazine ejection type of difficulty. I wind up just racking the slide. Is this a known issue with the side releases and a way to fix this problem? Should I keep shooting it until it loosens up? Call S&W? Take it to a smith for work? Do anything on my own?
anyone got any thoughts on this?

moyler
02-11-10, 13:03

Many advocate not using the slide release to bring the slide into battery, favoring coming over the top and using the rear cocking serrations on the slide to do so.

John_Wayne777
02-11-10, 13:32

What's the serial on your gun? Some of the early guns had issues with difficult to use slide releases.

Jay Cunningham
02-11-10, 15:15
Many advocate not using the slide release to bring the slide into battery, favoring coming over the top and using the rear cocking serrations on the slide to do so.

Not really much of a "slide release" then...

HES
02-11-10, 15:58
As its been said, its not much of a slide release then.

What's the serial on your gun? Some of the early guns had issues with difficult to use slide releases.
DSV94XX. I bought it on 29 Dec 2009. I wonder when this pistol was made.

NCPatrolAR
02-11-10, 16:18
Hmmm, no issue with my left side releases......... my guns are all older ones too.

RogerinTPA
02-11-10, 17:16

And many do...;) https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=31694

markm
02-11-10, 17:55
I don't use the slide stop. Shit! My thumb probably wouldn't know where to find it under stress.

John_Wayne777
02-11-10, 19:22

That I can't tell you since I'm not an expert on M&P serial ranges.

A relatively new recoil spring and relatively new mag springs can result in a pretty stiff slide release. My M&P .45, for instance, has far fewer rounds through it than my 9. The release is much stiffer than my M&P 9...especially with the left hand, which for me is my weaker hand.

markm
02-11-10, 20:51
Let it soak overnight. Problem solved.

That's what I do with my AR bolts and Carriers. I'll let them soak in CLP for 2 days and the carbon comes off with 1/4 of the effort.

MichaelD
02-11-10, 21:30
As its been said, its not much of a slide release then.

That's a 2009-production gun.

HK45
02-25-10, 11:51
Only the very early M&P's had slide release issues. They were too close in to the frame so hard to operate.

ToddG
02-25-10, 13:28
Only the very early M&P's had slide release issues. They were too close in to the frame so hard to operate.

Smith continues to have issues with the right wing of its slide release levers breaking off during normal cycling.

HK45
03-03-10, 15:14
I did not know that. But I was actually referring to issues in operating the slide release. Although it they are breaking them I suppose that would make it hard to operate as well....

Belmont31R
03-04-10, 03:51
Slide release is useless on the 45 I just got...but its a day old..cannot operate it with either hand.

Trigger is gritty but got the APEX parts coming.

Slide failed to lock back about 20-30% of the time shooting it. 3 different kinds of ammo, and happened with both mags it came with. Thought I might be limp wristing it but I found my grip didn't change anything. Even went to loading one round at a time, and intentionally limp wristing it with my offhand. No change in the frequency vs. gripping it normally with both hands very tight. :confused:

mpardun
03-04-10, 07:03
Slide release is useless on the 45 I just got...but its a day old..cannot operate it with either hand.

I didn't think that APEX had a sear for the M&P yet. I saw Grant (G&R) was offering an upgrade on the middy45, but after looking at Apex's site a few weeks ago, it appeared as if a 45 specific sear was under development.

Pls advise.

beastfrog
03-04-10, 08:14
The Apex sear is currently available and fits all M&Ps. There are some M&Ps that need a smidge (0.010") less pretravel, namely 45 compacts, but there have been cases where other M&Ps have the same issue with the current Apex sear. There are two solutions. Open the trigger loop in the trigger bar or alter the sear so that the trigger bar contacts the sear cam surface sooner. According to Randy the new "45" sear should be available next week. I would recommend this new sear for all M&Ps. Randy's work is top notch and he has more M&P goodies in the pipeline.

Not affiliated, just a big fan. Wish S&W would have done this from the git go!

FishingFool
03-04-10, 08:35
Deleted

Magsz
03-04-10, 10:22
I picked up an M&P Pro in 9mm. The slide auto forwards too easily when doing a slide lock reload. Called smith and they are sending me a shipping label to send it back. We'll see how that goes.

Define too easy? My M&P's auto forward every single time i reload and have done so since day one. Its not something that i rely on but its also not something i find bothersome.

Ive simply implemented a procedure into my training where i ghost my hand over the slide whether it auto forwards or not just in case i have to powerstroke to chamber a round.

Im interested to know why you think auto forwarding is a problem. Im guessing because its inconsistent?

opmike
03-04-10, 14:34
Interesting, I've never owned a gun that dropped the slide consistently upon magazine insertion.

My Beretta will do it maybe 5 percent of the time. All my others, once in a blue moon.

Is it caused by the slide stop/catch/(whatever the hell) not fully engaging the slide, and then dropping clear from the jolt of a mag insertion?

markm
03-04-10, 20:11

The APEX was useless in my 45. :( And Although I'm certain that the QC on APEX's parts is much better than Smith's QC on this friggin guns... I'm not modifying my pistol to accomodate an aftermarket part.

Slide failed to lock back about 20-30% of the time shooting it. 3 different kinds of ammo, and happened with both mags it came with. Thought I might be limp wristing it but I found my grip didn't change anything. Even went to loading one round at a time, and intentionally limp wristing it with my offhand. No change in the frequency vs. gripping it normally with both hands very tight. :confused:

That's messed up. As disappointing as the M&P has been.... I will say mine feeds and locks back flawlessly.

Palmguy
03-04-10, 20:23
The APEX was useless in my 45. :( And Although I'm certain that the QC on APEX's parts is much better than Smith's QC on this friggin guns... I'm not modifying my pistol to accomodate an aftermarket part.

That's messed up. As disappointing as the M&P has been.... I will say mine feeds and locks back flawlessly.

Perhaps the 45 specific sear will work for you?

Pappabear
03-04-10, 20:35
I picked up an M&P Pro in 9mm. The slide auto forwards too easily when doing a slide lock reload. Called smith and they are sending me a shipping label to send it back. We'll see how that goes.

I like it. My M&P does it and so does my HK P30. I wondered if it was a flaw when it first happened, but I now appreciate it. Its very fast and there is no negative ramifications.

MikeCLeonard
03-04-10, 20:55
Anyplace where M&P small parts can be ordered online? I'd like to get a spare striker.

markm
03-04-10, 20:56
Perhaps the 45 specific sear will work for you?

Probably... but After about 500 rounds... the stock trigger is finally just into the barely acceptable realm.

If anyone wants a new APEX sear, I'll unload it for $20 delivered. PM me. I'm going to keep my M&P 45 stock.

spamsammich
03-04-10, 21:02
I feel bad for you Mark, you're giving that M&P a shot but I'm starting to think the only way you could hate it more is if LWRC made it. Maybe you got the 4:45 Friday production run? Mine has been the best 9mm I've owned, hell, maybe the best pistol I've owned so far and the Apex sear made it even more fun to shoot. I hope your issues get resolved or you can trade it in for something that brings the joy back.

Apollo11
03-04-10, 21:17
FWIW, the auto forward is discussed in the Art of the Dynamic Handgun. They say it is something that the Beretta and the M&P do when the mag is inserted and hit on a 45 degree angle to the grip. There are also students doing their reloads with the auto forward as their intended goal.

You gotta admit its pretty damn fast if you can do it every time.

NCPatrolAR
03-04-10, 21:55
There are also students doing their reloads with the auto forward as their intended goal.

Did they have the students doing that on purpose or were the students just experiencing it as they went through drills?

Apollo11
03-04-10, 22:10
Did they have the students doing that on purpose or were the students just experiencing it as they went through drills?

On purpose. There was a Marine who was a fan of it with his M9, and was trying to do it everytime.

FishingFool
03-04-10, 22:20
Deleted

NCPatrolAR
03-04-10, 22:25
On purpose. There was a Marine who was a fan of it with his M9, and was trying to do it everytime.

Wow; was there some kind of remedial action covered in conjunction with it?

Apollo11
03-04-10, 22:33
Wow; was there some kind of remedial action covered in conjunction with it?

More then anything they stressed "power stroking" the gun as a #1 way of proceeding from slide lock. However, they also threw in there the ability to send the slide forward by inserting the mag on a 45 degree hit. If this did not work, then power stroke the gun.

NCPatrolAR
03-04-10, 22:38
thanks

markm
03-05-10, 18:16
I feel bad for you Mark, you're giving that M&P a shot but I'm starting to think the only way you could hate it more is if LWRC made it. Maybe you got the 4:45 Friday production run? Mine has been the best 9mm I've owned, hell, maybe the best pistol I've owned so far and the Apex sear made it even more fun to shoot. I hope your issues get resolved or you can trade it in for something that brings the joy back.

I'm carrying this damned thing right now. My experience is far from the worst that I've read on the gun boards. I'm not dumping the pistol. My gun, although less than thrilling, is an acceptable pistol that I have enough confidence in to carry.

I like being back in the 45acp world. And it beats the hell out of trying to make a 1911 reliable.

(and as much as I'm angry at S&W's perennial mediocrity.... they are NOWHERE near the slime balls you find at LWRC) :p

nwcatman
03-06-10, 06:58
ok, i'll bite. whats LWRC?

ToddG
03-06-10, 11:09
ok, i'll bite. whats LWRC?

A marketing firm that focuses primarily on television product placement. They also assemble metal pieces into the likeness of carbines.

nwcatman
03-06-10, 16:02
A marketing firm that focuses primarily on television product placement. They also assemble metal pieces into the likeness of carbines.

ok, the next time i see my bang-bang shows i'll try to figure it out. i have an older(1990's) tricked out, cutom built M1A so i don't pay much attention to the M4 platform shows.

DocGKR
03-06-10, 21:22
http://www.lwrci.com

El Gato
03-06-10, 22:40
The wife is a full time handgun instructor... she primarily shoots the M&P 40... she loves it... I find I really like it also.... and I carry a glock 22 at work and have for years...love the glock... love the smith more... go figure...the trigger was greatly improved after a thousand rounds or so... better than my issue glock now..

brushy bill
03-07-10, 13:39
Anyplace where M&P small parts can be ordered online? I'd like to get a spare striker.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=0/sid=859/schematicsdetail/M_P__Semi_Auto_

JHC
03-07-10, 14:47
Hit 1000 rds mark through my new Pro 9 this am. No stoppage of any sort yet. My son and I shot many timed runs of a modified El Presidente today (8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper as a makeshift A zone at about 25 feet). His fastest with all hits was 6.75 seconds and he had multiple 5.9 - 6.2 runs with 3 hits. I trailed him by 1.0 to 1.5 seconds. Both of us have been shooting Glock 9s primarily for over 5 years and we were both fastest by a second with the Pro 9 vs a G17 and G19 we also shot. And he had only fired about 15 shots through the Pro 9 on one other occassion. I short stroked the reset on the Pro 9 once per drill on about half of my tries. He never did once. The speed difference seemed to mostly be on the reload actually, vs the shooting or splits. That and in my case, the time lost recognizing the short stroke and re-engaging.
Gets a fellow to thinkin.

markm
03-19-10, 09:15
The one thing I noticed about the M&P 45 is that I can't reasonably load the mags to capacity when shooting reloads.

This isn't a big issue to me. Loading to 9 rounds is no biggie, but it's interesting that factory ammo will just squeeze into the mag, but reloads... even when I've resized the brass twice, won't quite fit in the mag.

silentsod
03-20-10, 00:32
The one thing I noticed about the M&P 45 is that I can't reasonably load the mags to capacity when shooting reloads.

This isn't a big issue to me. Loading to 9 rounds is no biggie, but it's interesting that factory ammo will just squeeze into the mag, but reloads... even when I've resized the brass twice, won't quite fit in the mag.

I've run over 4k in reloads through my M&P45 and not encountered this problem.

The mags are a bitch to load to 10 with my carry ammo and the factory ammo I've put through it just as much as the reloads.

Oddly enough the M&P9 17 round mags are cake to load to capacity.

markm
03-20-10, 09:38
I've run over 4k in reloads through my M&P45 and not encountered this problem.

The mags are a bitch to load to 10 with my carry ammo and the factory ammo I've put through it just as much as the reloads.

Interesting. I could probably FORCE the 10th round into the mag, but It's so tight I feel like I'd be damaging the feed lips.

Carry ammo loads to 10 with no problem. Maybe my die is a little on the large size.... Again... not a big deal to me... just an observation.

ralph
03-20-10, 09:52
I bought a uplula from Grant...Gets all 10 rnds in without sore thumbs..well worth the money...The 10th round is tight but, it'll go in.(this is where the uplula really helps) I've got about 2300 rnds on my midsize.45 and I load the mags up to full capacity every time I go out for a range session, and so far, no problems.. almost all the ammo I shoot is reloaded.

spamsammich
03-20-10, 23:30
so Mark, you went back to stock with that 45? Were you able to unload that sear? I think I'm gonna try one out on my next visit to the range. I miss shooting 45.

snakedoctor
03-21-10, 09:08
I cant get all 14 rounds into my 14rd 45acp M&P magazine. Hell, getting 13 was enough of a pain on my thumbs. I dont think it'll ever hold all 14.

markm
03-21-10, 09:09
so Mark, you went back to stock with that 45? Were you able to unload that sear? I think I'm gonna try one out on my next visit to the range. I miss shooting 45.

Yep. I'm bone stock again. The trigger pull is what I'd call challenging now whereas it was unacceptable before.

I carry the gun now, and pretty much like it. I'm capable of getting decent hits one handed with it and stuff.

markm
03-21-10, 09:13
I cant get all 14 rounds into my 14rd 45acp M&P magazine. Hell, getting 13 was enough of a pain on my thumbs. I dont think it'll ever hold all 14.

I have one 14, and I just load it to 13. The drag on the closed slide with 14 rounds in the mag made me concerned about getting a good slide cycle on that first round fired.

Pi3
03-21-10, 09:57
I'm wanting a 9mm compact with crimson trace grips & the safety. Can the right safety be cut off so the grips will fit. thanks.

Robb Jensen
03-21-10, 10:00
I'm wanting a 9mm compact with crimson trace grips & the safety. Can the right safety be cut off so the grips will fit. thanks.

Yes this is easy to do.

Pi3
03-21-10, 20:35
thanks gotm4. so does having this done screw up the warranty?
Having shot a sig 226 9mm for years, I've been looking for something smaller. I got a laser grip about 4 years back & have been happy with it.
I recently went to a couple of ranges & rented a raft of different pistols in 9mm, .40 & .38.
The m&pc really stood out. My main reservation is the indistinct reset. I shot a full size in 9 & 40 & the compact in 40. It points better for me than about any other pistol. I love the way the laser seems to be an integral part of the grip. It makes me sad that glock didn't make something similar possible w/ the gen 4. they had been rode hard & put up wet, so the triggers were well broken in, feeling better than on a new recent gun. Is the 9mm compact w/ safety available as a LE gun?