PDA

View Full Version : Non-Chrome Lined Barrels

Ian111
02-08-10, 11:09
I assume a chrome lined barrel is desireable over a non-chrome lined barrel whether for general plinking, regular training or defense. But how bad can it be if the user cleans it regularly? Are there only downsides to having a non-chrome lined barrel or are there any upsides?

BTW, how do I go about finding out if a Colt AR has a chrome lined or non-chrome lined barrel?

newguy
02-08-10, 12:17
list model# and you will get answer . most all colts are except stainless barrels and some match models tou can see the chrome in the bore the advantages are mostly double life expectancy because chrome is so much harder than steel ,,plus its easy on cleaning

newguy
02-08-10, 13:10
hhjdsitrfbzsfzrbv

Captains1911
02-08-10, 14:44
non-chromed lined are supposedly more accurate.

Belmont31R
02-08-10, 14:56
Chrome lining helps in corrosion resistance and helps in cleaning.

Go look at why chrome lining was added to the M16 early on. If you are in prolonged moist conditions as a soldier you need something that will not rust like bare steel will. The outside is parkerized but on a non-chrome lined barrel the bore has no coatings. Its prone to rust very easily.

Chrome is also easier to clean, and because its a slicker/harder surface than steel aides in wear resistance. This is why the inside of the BCG is also chrome lined.

A negative of chrome lining is that its a slightly uneven surface which can hamper accuracy. However in a combat gun the added corrosion and wear resistance outweighs this, and its still possible to get a very accurate chrome lined barrel. Colt Diemaco, FN, and Noveske come to mind when it comes to accurate chrome lined barrels.

Ian111
02-08-10, 16:39
Its a Colt MT6530.

I've been on the fence whether I needed to replace the non-chrome lined barrel and chamber (or getting a whole new upper) but maybe its not really necessary for me. I'm pretty good about cleaning and lube just like any other rifle or handgun I own and they don't have chrome lined barrels/chambers either. It isn't as resistant to abuse and neglect as chrome lined AR's so I'll just have to keep it in mind. Thanks.

But, non-chrome lined barrels do have a short life. On avg. how many rounds are they good for before replacement?

Jerod
02-08-10, 20:12
I would NEVER buy a non- CL barrel . Just my .02

5pins
02-08-10, 21:16
IIRC Colt barrels should be marked whether it’s chrome lined or not in front of the FSB.

mmike87
02-08-10, 21:20
Shoot the barrel you have unless you're having problems with it. When it's shot out, replace it with a chrome lined barrel.

Ian111
02-08-10, 22:28
I would NEVER buy a non- CL barrel . Just my .02

Yeah, if I knew better back then.

tirod
02-09-10, 00:09
Precision shooters don't use chrome lined because of the difficulty in overboring the barrel, then chroming back to spec. Hunters don't use chrome lined because they don't shoot full auto - which is what it was designed for.

Chrome bores resist full auto fire and reduce erosion at the leade and throat, which keeps the speed and accuracy up longer on a barrel before it loses them.

Nicorr is coming on as a better treatment because it changes the molecules at the surface. That means no tricky overboring and plating back - plus its not a coating, it's in the steel. The essential workmanship isn't lost by an uneven deposit. Variations in bore diameter of as little as .003 in the rifling can increase peak pressures over 5,000 pounds.

Chrome? Nice for '60's technology. I think we've advanced beyond that, it's only a matter of time before it's as out of place as a brass patch box on the stock.

Frens
02-09-10, 01:14
a quality non-chrome lined barrel will serve you well.
just take care of it as you're supposed to do with any weapons.

hey, the world is FULL of abused garands, fal, etc with non-chrome lined barrels that still works great

GermanSynergy
02-09-10, 09:50
I'm a believer in chrome. I'm very happy with my Noveske N-4 Recce builds- they're wicked accurate and have served me well. One particular barrel has about 4,500 rds thru it and I've noticed no degradation in accuracy. This is not a ton of rounds to be sure, but if I can afford the ammo to wear this barrel out I can afford to have the barrel replaced.

LeonCarr
02-09-10, 11:56
I believe the old saying is, "Go chrome or go home"

:)

I won't own an AR that doesn't have a chrome lined barrel. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

DrBackJack
02-09-10, 19:01
Once I find a CL barrel that can make penny sized holes at 100 yards, Ill jump on the boat.

A1para
02-09-10, 22:24
Hello,

I have several ARs. One of them uses an upper I bought about as cheap as you can get at a gun show. The barrel is not chrome lined (Del Ton is the brand I think). My intentions were to buy this for the upper and parts and to shoot the heck out of the barrel, then replace it. At the time AR barrels were scarce.

I have shot this rifle quite a bit with out any cleaning just lube only and can't get it to malfunction. I suppose sooner or later when this barrel stops shooting accurately I will replace it with one which is chrome lined. This barrel is a 16" carbine gas system and shoots under an inch at 100 yards with a cheap non free floating four rail forearm.

A little long winded I suppose. Basically use what you have until you wear it out then replace it with what you want. As previously mentioned.

Also, when I said no cleaning I meant nothing more than pulling a brush a couple of times and then a couple of patches lubed with Mobil syntec oil. No copper solvent. Not at any regular schedule ~ 500 rds plus or minus. This barrel has impressed me to date as well as the whole rifle. This rifle has not been pampered in the least.

Sim

Ian111
02-10-10, 11:22
I just called Colt and they said if the barrel has a "C" on it that means barrel and chamber is chrome lined. My barrel is stamped "C MP 5.56mm Nato 1/7" So the C means chrome and not "Colt"? I thought the barrel was supposed to be stamped "chrome"? :confused:

Frens
02-10-10, 11:25
the C you see means Colt.
the C they're talking about is under the handguards near the barrel nut

Bantee
02-10-10, 11:28
If it's been shot a bit, it can be a little tough to tell the difference between c/l and not c/led. If you look under the flash hider or muzzle brake you can usually see where the chrome overlaps the end of the muzzle. Hope that made sense, and helps.:):