PDA

View Full Version : M4 PROFILE-WHY

newguy
02-08-10, 13:19
Why for civilians.Is all that weight in front of sight base needed?Since hardley any civilian mnts m233,s on theres.Doesnt this add to muzzel wt.List better choices

shittercrewchief
02-08-10, 13:58
They are not needed at all thats the reason for the this thread.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=46405

JonnyVain
02-08-10, 14:27
The military uses it. People like what the military uses. I've seen people get the m203 cut milled into barrels by ADCO just because it looks cool.

tju1973
02-08-10, 17:41
Not sure-- probably the COD MW/MW2 factor-- I have an M4 prof on my coming Stag 2, but I opted for a Government profile for my CMMG BB. My CAV Arms build will have a pencil barrel..

To each his/her own..;)

kwelz
02-08-10, 23:20
I prefer the look slightly on a 16 inch barrel. However since cosmetic ranks fairly low now on my scale of things that actually matter I would not turn down a gun with a normal profile.

Failure2Stop
02-09-10, 00:33
The 203 cut on M4 barrels is unnecessary and detrimental.
As far as I know the best alternatives are the Noveske N4 Light or the profile common to most middie barrels. Disregarding the 203 cut makes the barrel more rigid. It isn't so much about weight as it is about structural rigidity.

bkb0000
02-09-10, 00:42
my two M4 barrels have M4 cuts because they came from manufacturers that produce DoD replacement parts or complete weapons.. and i guess they're too lazy or have no incentive to produce a non-203 cut 14.5" barrel.

i'd guess its probably more no-incentive.

as far as weight- that doesn't really factor into the question. "why not pencil barrel?" would be the better question if you're talking weight, cause most of the non-m4 barrel profiles ive seen are heavier, not lighter, forward of the FSB.

JAYTEAM
02-09-10, 10:30
my two M4 barrels have M4 cuts because they came from manufacturers that produce DoD replacement parts or complete weapons.. and i guess they're too lazy or have no incentive to produce a non-203 cut 14.5" barrel.

i'd guess its probably more no-incentive.

as far as weight- that doesn't really factor into the question. "why not pencil barrel?" would be the better question if you're talking weight, cause most of the non-m4 barrel profiles ive seen are heavier, not lighter, forward of the FSB.

+1

I have one, because that is the barrel 14.5" LMT's come with.

Jay

Frens
02-09-10, 10:45
The 203 cut on M4 barrels is unnecessary and detrimental.

LOL
Oberland Arms put the 203 cut even on its middy barrels just because it looks cool :rolleyes: :D
it cant be used for a M203 since the cut is made in the wrong place