PDA

View Full Version : 0701 Woes

sparrow
02-08-10, 14:52
Current plain clothes holster is a 0701, pistol is a 5946. Even when used with a good double thick gun belt there is a lot of movement rocking back when drawing the pistol, so much so that it affects the time needed to draw effectively. The holster also IMO does not effectively carry such a heavy pistol. I am going to pull the Big Boy card and get my own holster ...a buddy has suggested the Kramer in Horsehide ...any suggestio in an OWB belt holster with atleast a thumb snap?. Opinions from those who have carried a heavy piece would be appreciated.

bkb0000
02-08-10, 15:10
pancakes distribute the weight across the hip, keeping 'em tighter to the body without as much flop. i used a bianchi pancake with my 1911 for years.

also, are you using a reinforced belt? regular leather belts just dont cut it for hanging a few pounds of steel and ammo on

John_Wayne777
02-08-10, 17:43
I would also suggest taking a second look at the belt. There are belts offered for sale with steel and even kevlar inserts to add stiffness to the belts. Leather by itself generally cannot offer that level of support for all the stuff you need on your belt.

sparrow
02-08-10, 19:14
Thanks guys, as noted in OP the belts are double thick gun belts, Safariland type.

John_Wayne777
02-08-10, 19:43
...then it's definitely time to look at another holster. Are there any departmental regs about what type of holster you have to use? (Retention, etc)

sparrow
02-08-10, 20:53
...then it's definitely time to look at another holster. Are there any departmental regs about what type of holster you have to use? (Retention, etc)

Yes, the 0701 was chosen as an easy transition as line staff use the 070 ... I am heading towards the better beg for forgiveness than ask permission route on this one ...