PDA

View Full Version : Lint from cleaning patches

GeorgiaBoy
02-08-10, 16:57
I have noticed that when cleaning my M4 that most of the time the cotton-woven cleaning patches I use leave behind some lint. In fact, the synthetic patches I have used in the past do it too. Can this lint (not excessive, but on the bolt carrier and other locations) cause the weapon ever to malfunction?

ztf HITMAN
02-08-10, 17:12
I'm interested to see input on this....I've noticed this as well...

ColdDeadHands
02-08-10, 17:18
I have noticed that when cleaning my M4 that most of the time the cotton-woven cleaning patches I use leave behind some lint. In fact, the synthetic patches I have used in the past do it too. Can this lint (not excessive, but on the bolt carrier and other locations) cause the weapon ever to malfunction?

Hmm..my cotton patches don't leave lint behind.

ztf HITMAN
02-08-10, 17:22
The lint I've noticed was most noticably on the BCG. I don't think it would be enough to hinder the action, but I'm pretty much a stickler to having clean shit. Before shooting I just take the BCG out and give it a good spray of Rem Oil.

bkb0000
02-08-10, 17:42
very unlikely to cause problems.

to reduce the lint, use clean, recently washed cotten.. i use old t-shirts, but don't get heavy lint issues. the old jacked up t-shirt pieces and paper towels we used in the army always left a lot of lint, but i've never heard of any problems ever attributed to it.

ztf HITMAN
02-08-10, 17:51
Well, I use the pre-packaged, pre-cut shotgun/rifle wipes. Probably more lint-prone because they were chopped up into those little pieces and not washed.

Thomas M-4
02-08-10, 18:00
Just use a bore snake. On the carrier I just spray down with brake cleaner and nylon brush set to side and let air dry then re-oil it.

Col_Crocs
02-08-10, 18:04
I too have noticed this but have usually cleared it up with new one.
What I found to work well are baby wipes.:p
Seriously. :D Theyre thick and fuzzy enough to work well as a patch but are woven tight and tough enough to not break up and leave lint. I give it a very thorough rinsing under running water to wash off any alcohol or moisturizers it may have. Followed by a final rinse in distilled water to get rid of any water treatment chemicals or contaminants tap water has. I usually stock up on just 2 sheets, cut up to strips and squares. Even one sheet should last a few cleanings.

Artiz
02-08-10, 18:27
I have seen an AR-15 that was wearing fur on ARFcom, yours can't be as bad as the one I saw over there, oh my... that was just growse.