PDA

View Full Version : Had a squib in my M&P .45 this weekend

adh
02-08-10, 19:46
Had a squib in my M&P .45 this weekend....Just doing some shooting at family ranch and kerpluff (not bang). Drop the magazine, rack the slid and empty shell flies out. Got a 230grn FMJ lodged in the bore now. Ammo was CCI blazer with aluminum case.

John_Wayne777
02-08-10, 20:01
This is not unexpected. I've personally experienced more ammo issues in the last 12 months than I have in all of the previous years of my shooting combined. I've experienced several squibs, several duds, and some seriously weird defects including rounds loaded without primers and rounds where it looked like the primers were stuck in the case sideways. With the demand as high as it has been lately the ammo companies have been churning out as many rounds as they can, with the predictable declines in QC attendant with that level of production.

Expect more ammo issues than usual, at least for the foreseeable future.

When you are out shooting be extremely careful if you get a pop that isn't loud enough. When you are well trained it's easy to go into a remedial action, but you have to slow down and remember to check the barrel for obstructions. Generally a dowel or rod and a hammer will drive a stuck bullet out.

nwcatman
02-08-10, 20:37
i understand about the QC but its still hard to swallow. the ammo is being made by machines that do the same process time after time. i can understand a handloader occassionally producing a bad rd. as i have over the years but a million $$ or whatever machine? thats unacceptable in this day and age. too bad.

MarshallDodge
02-08-10, 20:57
Machines aren't perfect either. ;)

The Dumb Gun Collector
02-08-10, 21:01
Lucky dude! I did a tap rack n' BANGGGGG!!! on my Springfield Loaded a few years back. The barrel split in several spots. Ugly.

misanthropist
02-08-10, 21:16
Last fall I lent a 1911 to someone with a few mags of ammo to shoot pumpkins with...it was returned with the description "it's stuck".

Yep, stuck on the barrel...looked like a snake that swallowed a rat.

It was about 1/8 inch out of battery, and no going back...took a hammer on the bench at home to get it back into battery so I could strip it down.

It was actually my first "take it home busted"-grade failure, on any gun, ever.

Still, it's a good chance to send it off to a smith for a quick tune and upgrade.

12glocks
02-08-10, 21:33
Good for the OP for catching it as well. That is why I will only use electronic hearing protection, especially when acting as RO or RSO.

nwcatman
02-08-10, 21:35
Machines aren't perfect either. ;)

yea and i understand that. and i know parts wear out and break and get out of alignment etc etc but considering whats at stake you'd hope they'd really stay on top of it all.

markm
02-08-10, 21:36
i understand about the QC but its still hard to swallow. the ammo is being made by machines that do the same process time after time. i can understand a handloader occassionally producing a bad rd. as i have over the years but a million $$ or whatever machine? thats unacceptable in this day and age. too bad.

I used to snicker at the comment I'm about to make, but....

Hand loaded ammo is WAY better than factory.... ESPECIALLY 95% of .223/5.56.

Apollo11
02-08-10, 21:38
Wow, good for you to catch that! Glad to know you have a stuck round insted of a blown up pistol.

skyugo
02-08-10, 22:25
I used to snicker at the comment I'm about to make, but....

Hand loaded ammo is WAY better than factory.... ESPECIALLY 95% of .223/5.56.

yeah absolutely. i seat every primer myself, and watch powder go into every single round before carefully placing a bullet on top. def. cannot be said of factory ammo.

Thomas M-4
02-08-10, 22:33
Machines only run has good as the operator that uses it.
Read a report that just before the Obama rush that cci had laid off 2 shifts. Then they get slammed with orders along with every other ammunition manufacture.
Alot of orders for ammo got placed in a very short time frame with rumors of ammo tax and such not.

silentsod
02-08-10, 23:05
I've had two squibs in my M&P45 (both handloads, every once in a while one slips by) and neither engaged the rifling in the barrel making it impossible to chamber another cartridge. Just a mallet, a Bic pen body, a few good whaps and it's good to go.

I will probably blow this gun up.

ToddG
02-09-10, 12:16
Squibs in factory loaded ammo occur when the manufacture fails to run adequate QC checks. Fewer QC steps means they can produce more ammo faster and do it at a lower unit price.

If the OP has any of the ammo left: Does the primer have a "CF" etched on it?

adh
02-09-10, 13:20
Squibs in factory loaded ammo occur when the manufacture fails to run adequate QC checks. Fewer QC steps means they can produce more ammo faster and do it at a lower unit price.

If the OP has any of the ammo left: Does the primer have a "CF" etched on it?

I've got one whole box and what's left of rounds from the box the squib came from. I will check the primers when I get home.

Time was right before dusk. When I pulled the trigger I got a fiz fart lisp of a sound (not the pop of a .45 that you'd expect) and an evident flash from the breech. It was obvious that something was not right. Tap rack bang never even crossed my mind.

GermanSynergy
02-09-10, 18:20
Had a squib in my M&P .45 this weekend....Just doing some shooting at family ranch and kerpluff (not bang). Drop the magazine, rack the slid and empty shell flies out. Got a 230grn FMJ lodged in the bore now. Ammo was CCI blazer with aluminum case.

How old is this ammo? My friend sold me 2,000 rds of CCI Blazer .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ for $6 per box in January 2008. Now I'm worried..... :eek:

adh
02-09-10, 19:56
No "CF" etched on the primers.

Ammo was about a year and a half old IIRC....Two boxes that had belonged to my brother in law.

JohnN
02-10-10, 08:28
I don't think this problem is only a CCI issue. A year ago I had around 8 squibs in a thousand rounds of Fiocchi 9mm. Other than that though the ammo was clean burning and loaded fairly hot.

JHC
02-10-10, 18:19
I will probably blow this gun up.

ROFLMAO!

I've a sick sense of humor.

The only squib I ever encountered was my own .38 reload 20 years ago. My wife was rolling through a cylinder of my K-38 and she was rolling on the next cylinder when I snatched the cylinder freezing her shot. Mallet and dowel time.

But I have noticed the quality of most factory ammo seems to have slipped a good bit.
.22 LR is showing to be consistently more uniform than most major brands centerfire training ammo nowadays.